Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 04-19-2011, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
Just picked up a new X3 3.5i

New to forum but have owned over 50 cars so I would say I am an enthusiast. I wanted to give first impressions of a silver with black X3 that i got yesterday.
I ordered on March 4th from a large Long Island BMW dealer. Originally had Tech package,premium package,cold weather, convenience, and satellite radio. I found out the third week of March that I had to eliminate the convenience package because of the lack of parts for the motorized hatch. Instead I just did the comfort access separately. So it was about 6 weeks from the original order and three from the modified.

I traded in a lovely, loaded, 2010 Volvo XC60 that I had from May of 2009. A terrific car but after I test drove the new X3 (a 2.8i) I knew that it was next.

I never had a BMW but my dad, mother, brother all have 3 series and have had many BMW's in the past. I was slightly familiar with iDrive.

Here are my impressions: Delivery took an hour and a half and was done very professionally. I still only have about 20% knowledge of the electronics through idrive and am working my way through the unbelievable amount of things that it can do...too many quite frankly.

I do not like the electric gearshift and find it far from intuitive. Understand that my other cars are a M/B GL350 Diesel which has an electronic gearshift on the column and a Porsche Boxster S with a six speed. I am trying to say that I am not a dope. Honestly I am sure that I will get used to it but come on.

The car drives beautifully. It is fast, rides well on NY streets, seemingly solid as a brick, and fun. Of course opne day does not tell a tale but so far I am very impressed with the dynamics of the car. The interior , except for the plastic on the lower part of the doors which is hard and cheap, is quite upscale and in keeping with the BMW quality. Again it is brand new but seems to be screwed together very nicely.

The comfort access works well but unlike the Volvo I have to hit the start/stop button twice before exiting the car. While I can get used to that I am nervous about parking valet's not doing it. I believe that the radio and accessories will shut off after twenty minutes or so.

I am a clean nut and the wheels look as if they can be a challenge to keep sparkling. We shall see. In the meantime I will write again in a few weeks after I put some miles on the car and give you folks an update.

If anyone has a question please let me know and I will try to answer. In summary, 6 weeks from order to delivery...had to change order three weeks in to get car in April instead of who knows when...electronics are confusing and intimidating to me...car drives great and is well sorted out.
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2011, 01:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Congrats! Post some exterior and interior pics if you get a chance!
Old 04-19-2011, 01:50 PM

I will try

As I said I am technically challenged.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 (wifes car)
I had an '07 ML CDI- Do you wanna know how many times I have cycled the windshield wipers on the X3 over the past week thinking I was shifting the car in and outa gear?
I agree regarding the electronic shifter on the X3, not nearly as intuitive as the MB design. After having it and getting used to the functionality, one wonders why anyone has a "floor" shifter anymore?!?!?
'08 Super Duty Power Stroke (retired)
'07 MB ML CDI (retired)
'04 Toyota Solara convertible (retired)
'03 Range Rover HSE (fired)
Old 04-19-2011, 09:29 PM
------------

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i
Congrats. I have one coming soon. FYI, if you want, you can turn the car off in one step by holding the start/stop button for a bit longer, rather than two short presses. Good luck!

Robbie
Old 04-19-2011, 09:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 35i
I found that I adjusted to the electronic shifter after a couple of days with little difficulty. congrats on your new 35i, I have had mine since the end of Feb. and continue to be impressed with it.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:51 PM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
Congrats on the car!!!

The gear shift is easy! Just push the button by the side and move the shifter up for reverse. Push the button by the thumb and pull it down for drive! When you are done, push the P button and u are in park. The green LEDs are helpful in telling you what gear you are in. The whole thing is electronic

Oh and push the sport button muhahahahaha
Old 04-19-2011, 10:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
The electronic shifter is easy and natural after you have driven it for a week or two. I had a 535xi with the same shifter and was used to it quite quickly. Don't worry about it.

Once you set many of the functions in the iDrive, you will find you don't use it that much. Not a big deal to learn it, IMO. You should read the manual regarding the iDrive tho.
Gone: 2011 X35i, Vermillion Red, MSport.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.

Last edited by No12; 04-19-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 F25
Congrats on the new car!

High marks for the suspension if it can handle the NY streets without your teeth rattling.

Like everybody says, you get used to the transmission.

The electronics stay on for 8 minutes if you do not push the button twice or lock the door.

I've had my X3 for about 2 months, and I still do not think have all the nuances of the iDrive figured out. When you get to the point when you know how to get Google to e-mail an address to the car (as input for the Nav system), or use one button to switch on the ventilation in your parked car at a pre-set time, then you are close to being a Jedi.

Enjoy your new X3!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:37 AM

Thanks

Thanks all. Day 3 and I did manage to get the car into reverse and drive with no issues...lol. Of course for some reason the comfort access didnt work this morning when i tried to open the driver's door...who the heck knows. Used the fob. Worked fine when i locked though.

It seems pretty impressive so dynamically I am really pleased. Tomorrow will be a 200 mike day into western NJ so I will give an update after that.

I will also try holding the stop/start button down to shut it off completely. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 28i
Regarding delivery times, how long did it take your dealer to get in your ride from the time you entered production... I'm in NYC (bought in NJ), entered production last Friday...any shot for a late next week p/u? Maybe wishful thinking....
Old 04-20-2011, 08:01 AM

The car started in production about March 30th. It arrived in Westbury, NY on Wednesday, April 13 and I took delivery Monday April 18. So I would conclude that if your car entered into production then delivery to your dealer will be in about 12 to 14 days. I had to wait to get my car because BMW didn't provide the MSO until Friday the 15th to the dealer.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
I am in the middle of dealing for an X3. I had the same impression as you after my test drive. I am definitely fearing valet with a car,
Old 04-20-2011, 08:44 AM

Well I am determined not to let it bother me. I really like certain things about comfort access so let's see how it works over a few months. If in doubt don't check that box on the order form!