Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 04-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: (soon to be '11 X3)
Adding Satellite Radio later???

Quick question for everyone....my X3 just went into production today and I'm just wondering if Sirius/XM can be added on afterwards or is this a factory only option and I'm stuck with what I got. I pretty much gave up on Satellite radio after I put pandora on my iphone so I'm not overly concerned, but I'm just curious if 6 months or a year from now I decide I want it if this is something that the dealership can add on?
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2011, 07:56 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Cactus
Mein Auto: 2011 X3 2.8i
Sat Radio can be added later. In fact, you can use the $500 gift from the X3 Driving Experience to pay for it.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
Sat Radio can be added later. In fact, you can use the $500 gift from the X3 Driving Experience to pay for it.

ahhhhh....yea very good idea...didn't even think of that...sweet!! Ok...so break it down for me.....I thought someone at the dealership told me that sat radio was factory add on....I may be mistaken but thought they said that. So what do they do....is there a chip or something that gets added, or just that the radio gets activated...is it a different radio? I'm guessing this is as simple as activating something that is already there in the car right?
Old 04-19-2011, 01:28 AM
2012 X5 xDrive35i

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mole7374 View Post
ahhhhh....yea very good idea...didn't even think of that...sweet!! Ok...so break it down for me.....I thought someone at the dealership told me that sat radio was factory add on....I may be mistaken but thought they said that. So what do they do....is there a chip or something that gets added, or just that the radio gets activated...is it a different radio? I'm guessing this is as simple as activating something that is already there in the car right?
All new BMW's come with Sirius Satellite "ready" as part of the audio systems, regardless of wether it's the Base or Premium. Later, they simply add an additional module behind the existing radio. It uses the same antenna already in place. The only consideration is cost. $350 from the Factory or $500+ at the dealerships.

Last edited by marauder73; 04-19-2011 at 01:44 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:29 AM

got it...thanks! I'll probably pass b/c even though its relatively cheap I honestly haven't listened to Sirius in 6 months now that I have everything programmed in pandora...and I have BMW apps in the X3 so I doubt I'll ever need satellite again.....I actually think the quality of the signal is better through pandora than satellite anyway
Old 04-19-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole7374 View Post
got it...thanks! I'll probably pass b/c even though its relatively cheap I honestly haven't listened to Sirius in 6 months now that I have everything programmed in pandora...and I have BMW apps in the X3 so I doubt I'll ever need satellite again.....I actually think the quality of the signal is better through pandora than satellite anyway
OK... for us technical Neanderthals, what is Pandora?
Old 04-19-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marauder73 View Post
The only consideration is cost. $350 from the Factory or $500+ at the dealerships.
The aftermarket upgrade is $375, is he installation $150+?
Old 04-19-2011, 08:47 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 28i
Quote:
OK... for us technical Neanderthals, what is Pandora?
An application for ur iPhone or droid! Streams music but unlike a radio station you create ur own station by selecting ur favorite band or genre and it will play similar music accordingly
Old 04-19-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non_head View Post
An application for ur iPhone or droid! Streams music but unlike a radio station you create ur own station by selecting ur favorite band or genre and it will play similar music accordingly
Thanks! So I'm assuming it only works when you have phone reception?
Old 04-20-2011, 01:42 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 28i
Quote:
Thanks! So I'm assuming it only works when you have phone reception?
Yes! To be more precise, when you have data reception (3G or better)
Old 04-20-2011, 04:59 AM

Exactly.....so depending on where you live satellite may be more reliable...however I'm in northern NJ so I can drive all day and never loose reception. Satellite will actually cut out more often for me when driving around trees etc but cell reception is solid. I just love the fact that there are an infinite number of stations you can setup....way more options than XM
Old 04-20-2011, 05:45 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Does anyone know if you can stream Pandora from Blackberry?
Old 04-20-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cer2225 View Post
Does anyone know if you can stream Pandora from Blackberry?
yes....see this link:

http://www.pandora.com/on-the-go/

however....I am 99% sure that BMW apps is only built for iphone...so you would not get the integration into the x3