Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 04-20-2011, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: M5 E60 2006
How tires effect handling on M5 E60

I changed all 4 tire on my 2006 M5 from a set of worn Continental ContactSport 2 to new Dunlop Sport Maxx GT tires.

Since the change I have run for 1000 miles. The ride feels a little more firm. The problem I have is that the handling seems worse than with worn tires. When I hit a joint on the road the steering vibrates more than I would expect. The traction control also seems to kick in more easily than before when taking off from a standstill and turning right or left into traffic. I have had BMW check everything and they say nothing is wrong with the alignment or tracking or suspension.

Anyone experienced similar results with these tires?
Ads by Google
Old 04-20-2011, 10:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325Ci
How many miles are on the car? What is the air pressure in the tires (front and back)?
Old 04-21-2011, 05:01 AM

Mein Auto: M5 E60 2006
52,000 miles. All tires are exactly at 36 psi as required. I have had both the tire company installer and BMW do balancing tracking etc. They all say everything is perfect. The BMW person tried to tell me yesterday that it is the hardness of the tires but I have no way to check this and I did not purposely choose this tire because of long life. It has a relative tread wear of 240 which is the same as the old tires.

I have had this car for 20,000 miles and you get to know the feel of the car very well. To me the difference in ride and handling is enough to bother me, but the garage want to say it is relatively "normal". Maybe they are right.