Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-10-2011, 04:00 PM
52vincent 52vincent is offline
Registered User
Location: COS
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: 1991 318i Convertible
Manual,Convertible top latch replacement

Hi Everyone, new here

1991 318i

I have searched tirelessly to no avail on this site for my dilemna.

Is it possible to replace the door handle for the convertible release without removing the side panel? I have tried but cannot figure out how to disconnect the wires from the old latch which is hanging inside. I can get my hand in there but don't know how to remove the wires form the latch.

If I have to take off the inside panel, how do I do that?

Thanks for any help, I have found many answers here for other things and like the site

Great Job.

Last edited by 52vincent; 03-10-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 03-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Krumchev2's Avatar
Krumchev2 Krumchev2 is offline
Straight Bimmin
Location: Easton, Pa
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,060
Mein Auto: 91' 318ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52vincent View Post
Hi Everyone, new here

1991 318i

I have searched tirelessly to no avail on this site for my dilemna.

Is it possible to replace the door handle for the convertible release without removing the side panel? I have tried but cannot figure out how to disconnect the wires from the old latch which is hanging inside. I can get my hand in there but don't know how to remove the wires form the latch.

If I have to take off the inside panel, how do I do that?

Thanks for any help, I have found many answers here for other things and like the site

Great Job.
You can do it, it will not be easy, and it will not be fun, but i've done it so it CAN be done. You just have to be patient and keep trying until you get the wires back attaches to the handle.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-15-2011, 01:54 PM
mlbryant8 mlbryant8 is offline
Registered User
Location: Old Town Florida
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 64
Mein Auto: 92 e30 mtech vert, 07 X3
Removing the wires that release the top is easy. Reattaching the wires to your new or replacement release is the hard part to do without taking out the side panel. You simply have to take out the plastic cap that prohibits the release wires from coming out of the handle. Be careful not to drop them! After that, it is a hit or miss type of situation. You will probably get frustrated and end up removing the side panel.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Mark_325i's Avatar
Mark_325i Mark_325i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 556
Mein Auto: '03 325i, '88 325iC
I did it a few years ago without taking off the panel. Grab the wire with a needle nose vice grip and you can just barely thread the tab into the new handle. No real trick to it -- just patience and a steady hand.
__________________
Mark
88 325iC
03 325i
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Krumchev2's Avatar
Krumchev2 Krumchev2 is offline
Straight Bimmin
Location: Easton, Pa
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,060
Mein Auto: 91' 318ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_325i View Post
I did it a few years ago without taking off the panel. Grab the wire with a needle nose vice grip and you can just barely thread the tab into the new handle. No real trick to it -- just patience and a steady hand.
I did the exact same thing. Very frustrating. Patience is the key.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-26-2011, 12:17 PM
paxmaster2000 paxmaster2000 is offline
Registered User
Location: browns mills nj
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: 92 525it, 08 dodge ram
ok where can i get one of these handles? mine is broken. ci have checked the yards but no luck on any convertibles. i have checked the sites.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Krumchev2's Avatar
Krumchev2 Krumchev2 is offline
Straight Bimmin
Location: Easton, Pa
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,060
Mein Auto: 91' 318ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxmaster2000 View Post
ok where can i get one of these handles? mine is broken. ci have checked the yards but no luck on any convertibles. i have checked the sites.
Hahaha I just used a regular door handle. There's no difference
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-26-2011, 12:59 PM
paxmaster2000 paxmaster2000 is offline
Registered User
Location: browns mills nj
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: 92 525it, 08 dodge ram
that is what i was hoping to hear.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms