Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I can let you borrow the wrench that came with my spare tire kit, if you'd like.

On second thought, that'll likely be the day I get my first flat.

Otherwise it should just be a regular size mm size, I would presume.
Thanks for the offer? You're too far away. It'll probably be cheaper for me to buy one over here.....on the right/correct side of the metroplex. The lug wrench I have is from my '96 Infiniti G20 and it's too big.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 04-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Thanks for the offer? You're too far away. It'll probably be cheaper for me to buy one over here.....on the right/correct side of the metroplex. The lug wrench I have is from my '96 Infiniti G20 and it's too big.
Feel free to borrow if you think it worth it. Personally, I'd just get torque wrench at the local auto store.

Wouldn't the right part of the metroplex technically be what you consider the "wrong" part of the metroplex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 04-18-2011, 02:43 PM
I do my crosswords in pen

Mein Auto: OEM+ 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I can let you borrow the wrench that came with my spare tire kit, if you'd like.

On second thought, that'll likely be the day I get my first flat.

Otherwise it should just be a regular size mm size, I would presume.
17mm
Old 04-23-2011, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 M5; 2004 X5 3.0
Don't get PIAA H8 LEDs

I am getting in on this discussion a little late, but I have some first hand experience to share.
I have a 2011 335d M pkg. After researching all the forums, I decided not to cheap out and
I ordered PIAA LEDs to replace the H8 halogen corona AEs. They were $340 and are not available from PIAA USA.
The face lifted 2011 allows you to access the corona AE bulb straight from the top, but because of the tight space you have to remove the airbox on the passenger side and remove the power steering fluid bracket assembly to be able to reach your hand in the small opening to remove the bulb.
I was very disappointed in the performance of the PIAAs. No codes and they lit up the inner rings on both sides nicely, but the outer rings were very muted and barely visible. Even by adjusting the LED with the allen wrench that is provided, not enough light is transmitted through the glass tubing into the outer ring. The OEMs are much brighter I think this is a problem with many of the after market LEDs. I removed the PIAAs and reinstalled the OEM H8 halogens. Back to the drawing board.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4dzl View Post
I am getting in on this discussion a little late, but I have some first hand experience to share.
I have a 2011 335d M pkg. After researching all the forums, I decided not to cheap out and
I ordered PIAA LEDs to replace the H8 halogen corona AEs. They were $340 and are not available from PIAA USA.
The face lifted 2011 allows you to access the corona AE bulb straight from the top, but because of the tight space you have to remove the airbox on the passenger side and remove the power steering fluid bracket assembly to be able to reach your hand in the small opening to remove the bulb.
I was very disappointed in the performance of the PIAAs. No codes and they lit up the inner rings on both sides nicely, but the outer rings were very muted and barely visible. Even by adjusting the LED with the allen wrench that is provided, not enough light is transmitted through the glass tubing into the outer ring. The OEMs are much brighter I think this is a problem with many of the after market LEDs. I removed the PIAAs and reinstalled the OEM H8 halogens. Back to the drawing board.
Do the PIAAs have two leds in each unit? I've noticed some seem to have only one led.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 04-27-2011, 05:22 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Bad news folks. My new LEDs blew. I was messing with them, checking the light output and I left them on overnight which drained my battery. When I went to try and start the car, not know the battery was discharged, I got kind of an power surge as the started tried to turn over. Still not realizing my parking lights were in the on position I tried one more time to start the car and had another power surge. It blew out the LEDs. No I have no angel eyes at all.

I'm pretty sure the Ebay seller I got them from will send me a new set. But, still gotta find out.

Bummer.

I looked at other LED lights and found ones for $140, which I think is about what Kat was looking at. They are super bright, but I don't want to lay out that much cash, 'cause I'm not gonna use them as DRLs and they will only be on when my headlights are on. I just like them to match the color of my headlights.

Last edited by tturedraider; 04-27-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:39 PM
GONE

Mein Auto: .................
Running towards the light
man they are so fukcing bright
same feeling as that drunkin crazy night
the night that I got into that huge fight
the night that I almost my life right
but things now are starting to look bright
I got a beautiful girlfriend, a Rolls Royce and a amazing heavenly cite.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:35 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4dzl View Post
I'm TRYING to remain positive about Kat's light mod, but I had a cadre of "yute" engineers (BSME) that were CONSTANTLY modding their cars. I can't begin to tell you the stories...cold air intake? Sucked water into the engine. Exhaust? burned the carpet in the trunk, got a "noise" ticket...high performance engine mods? Blew the engine...goes on and on. Worst case scenario for Kat? Go back to OE.

I suggest that Kat take a photo "before" and "after" for her light pattern if possible (such as against a wall at night)...or while driving.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Bad news folks. My new LEDs blew. I was messing with them, checking the light output and I left them on overnight which drained my battery. When I went to try and start the car, not know the battery was discharged, I got kind of an power surge at the started tried to turn over. Still not realizing my parking lights were in the on position I tried one more time to start the car and had another power surge. It blew out the LEDs. No I have no angel eyes at all.

I'm pretty sure the Ebay seller I got them from will send me a new set. But, still gotta find out.

Bummer.

I looked at other LED lights and found ones for $140, which I think is about what Kat was looking at. They are super bright, but I don't want to lay out that much cash, 'cause I'm not gonna use them as DRLs and they will only be on when my headlights are on. I just like them to match the color of my headlights.
Actually, the two options I am mulling are priced at $249 (LUX H8) and $299 (Angel ibright). Sorry to hear the ebay lights blew. I hope your ebay seller will make you whole again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
I'm TRYING to remain positive about Kat's light mod, but I had a cadre of "yute" engineers (BSME) that were CONSTANTLY modding their cars. I can't begin to tell you the stories...cold air intake? Sucked water into the engine. Exhaust? burned the carpet in the trunk, got a "noise" ticket...high performance engine mods? Blew the engine...goes on and on. Worst case scenario for Kat? Go back to OE.

I suggest that Kat take a photo "before" and "after" for her light pattern if possible (such as against a wall at night)...or while driving.
Excellent suggestion about doing a light pattern. I'll get back on the task of this mod in a few days (when I'm coherent again).
Old 04-27-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Actually, the two options I am mulling are priced at $249 (LUX H8) and $299 (Angel ibright). Sorry to hear the ebay lights blew. I hope your ebay seller will make you whole again.

Excellent suggestion about doing a light pattern. I'll get back on the task of this mod in a few days (when I'm coherent again).
Taiwan jet lag!
Old 04-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
Taiwan jet lag!
Yep. Got up this morning at 5:30 Taiwan time and walked in the door at home about 3:00 this afternoon, including a 2.5 hour layover in Tokyo. I'm not sure if I should be awake or asleep and I get to go to work tomorrow.

(Thank goodness for business/first)

Last edited by Nordic_Kat; 04-27-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Actually, the two options I am mulling are priced at $249 (LUX H8) and $299 (Angel ibright).
JLevi has a new set of LEDs for angle eyes that are $150. Have you looked at those? http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/3-Se...duct_info.html , one up from the bottom for the E93.

Last edited by tturedraider; 04-27-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ABM E92
Quote:
Yep. Got up this morning at 5:30 Taiwan time and walked in the door at home about 3:00 this afternoon, including a 2.5 hour layover in Tokyo. I'm not sure if I should be awake or asleep and I get to go to work tomorrow.

(Thank goodness for business/first)
I have installed the LUX H8s, they've worked extremely well, and very easy to install too. the rings light up more evenly compared to other alternatives I see, where usually the inner ring was VERY bright and the outer ring was dim. Also some of the LED replacements will flicker like crazy when you first turn your car on, at least with the LUX H8s this isn't aproblem as long as you have DRL enabled, which I do because I want them to show during the day

Done tons of research prior to ordering, LUX seemed best fitted for me. Course I don't have many armadillos in sacramento to avoid.

Last edited by pmcu; 04-28-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:53 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcu View Post
I have installed the LUX H8s, they've worked extremely well, and very easy to install too. the rings light up more evenly compared to other alternatives I see, where usually the inner ring was VERY bright and the outer ring was dim. Also some of the LED replacements will flicker like crazy when you first turn your car on, at least with the LUX H8s this isn't aproblem as long as you have DRL enabled, which I do because I want them to show during the day

Done tons of research prior to ordering, LUX seemed best fitted for me. Course I don't have many armadillos in sacramento to avoid.
Thanks for the information about the LUX H8s. Would you be willing to post up a couple of pictures of them?
Old 04-28-2011, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
Quote:
Thanks for the information about the LUX H8s. Would you be willing to post up a couple of pictures of them?
I would love pictures as well!

I have been debating about the LUX as well!

I just need to figure out a way to get around the warranty stickers that are found on the headlight caps that you remove in order to install the lights!

2009 BMW 328i
Montegoblau Metallic
Beige Dakota Leather
Light Burl Walnut
ZPP/ZCW/ZPP/iPod/USB/CA/SMARTPHONE/MT
ED 6/16/09 M-1224Z
THX IRV R.
BMWCCA Member
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
Debadge
BMW Performance Exhaust!!
Old 04-28-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasek9339 View Post
I would love pictures as well!

I have been debating about the LUX as well!

I just need to figure out a way to get around the warranty stickers that are found on the headlight caps that you remove in order to install the lights!
Old 04-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
PNG: Do you know my SO? Are you my SO in disguise? He has absolutely put his foot down that I can't do the Smartop mod till I am out of warranty. But I haven't seen the warranty void warnings regarding the lights.

(However, he didn't flinch last week when I told him I was budgeting for the performance exhaust, go figure )
Old 04-28-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
PNG: Do you know my SO? Are you my SO in disguise? He has absolutely put his foot down that I can't do the Smartop mod till I am out of warranty. But I haven't seen the warranty void warnings regarding the lights.

(However, he didn't flinch last week when I told him I was budgeting for the performance exhaust, go figure )
Kat,
I'm NOT going NEGATIVE on you...please understand. Matter of fact, I've invested ten bucks on novena candles, a St. Christopher dash icon (bobble head)...and recently dedicated my neighbor's "Our Lady of the Up-Turned Bath-tub" shrine to the success of your light mod. I can't think of anything else that I can do to guarantee success to your venture. It's a WIN situation.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:

This is NEW TERRITORY! DIY for performance exhaust! You're incredible!
Old 04-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
This is NEW TERRITORY! DIY for performance exhaust! You're incredible!
Nah, I will not undertake the PE myself. It will be drop shipped to my indy who is two blocks from where I work.... then I will supervise.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i M-Sport
Here's a good review of the Lux H8 v3's that was posted recently.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524779

These look really good...may have to run towards them myself. Damn BMW for not including the new lights on the 2011 sedans.

Last edited by chrisk03; 05-03-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:58 PM
GONE

Running towards the light...

In my Rolls Royce, got the ladies looking at me from the left and right
& money is coming in by every sight!
Old 05-04-2011, 12:03 AM
Original *****

Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFTW91 View Post
Running towards the light
man they are so fukcing bright
same feeling as that drunkin crazy night
the night that I got into that huge fight
the night that I almost my life right
but things now are starting to look bright
I got a beautiful girlfriend, a Rolls Royce and a amazing heavenly cite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFTW91 View Post
Running towards the light...

In my Rolls Royce, got the ladies looking at me from the left and right
& money is coming in by every sight!
Huh?
Old 05-04-2011, 05:48 AM
I do my crosswords in pen

Mein Auto: OEM+ 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocamryn View Post
Huh?
Old 05-04-2011, 06:13 AM
GONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocamryn View Post
Huh?
Sorry you do not understand "The Boss Life"....