Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 04-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X 3
Dealer Add Ons on New X3

Hi Guys

I will be taking delivery of my new X3 this Saturday. Can you warn me on what I should be prepared for when I take delivery?

I mean what are the usual dealer add ons, the dealers try to push, when taking delivery of pre-ordered X3?

Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 04-27-2011, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: (soon to be '11 X3)
pretty much everything...in all seriousness, they have an add on for everything. There was another post here from someone who listed them out...can't remember what thread but if I find it I'll post it. But from memory:

Tire/Wheel Package
Extended Warrandy
Interior/Exterior protection (leather/paint) --its a joke
lojak

everything is like 1000 and up....just say no...no...no
Old 04-27-2011, 06:56 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the warning.

RFT tires.. is it worth taking the tire insurance?
Old 04-27-2011, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
Depending on where you live and the condition of the roads there, and the price of the tire/wheel insurance, you may wish to take that coverage. It doesn't take much to damage an expensive OEM wheel, or wreck a RFT. Consider this one - don't just say "no" too quickly.

Extended warranty can always be bought later, up to expiry date of original warrantly.

The rest of the "stuff", just say pass.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgolf View Post
Thanks for the warning.

RFT tires.. is it worth taking the tire insurance?
well that's a loaded question...honestly it depends on your setup (what kind of wheels/tires), where you live and how you drive.

Example...if you live in a warm area with no snow and no potholes, go ahead and run big wheels and low profile tires and you won't have damange...that setup in the northeast (where I am) will eventually result in a bent wheel or damaged tire. For that reason I did the 18's with all season...pretty safe bet b/c I don't want to be going back for wheel/tire replacement all the time.

Rule of thumb is that you probably need to go through about 3 tires to break even or a wheel and a tire or two...it depends on what you have.

I don't like any add ons...just me
Old 04-27-2011, 07:15 PM

Thanks Guys

Thanks for all the replies.

This is my first Bimmer.

I do not intend to change the original tires or wheels. I live in Upstate NY where it snows heavily for 4 months a year.

Suggestions and advice appreciated.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgolf View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

This is my first Bimmer.

I do not intend to change the original tires or wheels. I live in Upstate NY where it snows heavily for 4 months a year.

Suggestions and advice appreciated.
Sounds like you will need winter tires. I prefer to get an extra set of wheels, assuming you are keeping vehicle for a few years (to avoid twice yearly change-over). Consider running smaller wheels in winter. BMW OEM wheels are expensive, but you can always check out Tire Rack for wheel/winter tire combos.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No12 View Post
Depending on where you live and the condition of the roads there, and the price of the tire/wheel insurance, you may wish to take that coverage. It doesn't take much to damage an expensive OEM wheel, or wreck a RFT. Consider this one - don't just say "no" too quickly.

Extended warranty can always be bought later, up to expiry date of original warrantly.

The rest of the "stuff", just say pass.
agree this is the only one I'd really consider. For me I specifically didn't get 19's or low profiles b/c living in the northeast means: potholes etc..

If you have larger wheels and run flats than I would definitely get it... if you have 18's and all seasons you could go either way. 18s and all seasons are very durable... 19s and low profile, not so much
Old 04-27-2011, 09:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
So do all season 18" run flats suck in the snow? We generally get 100"+ of lake effect snow every winter and they don't do crap to the roads here. Will I be able to get away with using them their first winter while the tread is still good, or am I going to need to get a dedicated winter set?
Old 04-27-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
So do all season 18" run flats suck in the snow? We generally get 100"+ of lake effect snow every winter and they don't do crap to the roads here. Will I be able to get away with using them their first winter while the tread is still good, or am I going to need to get a dedicated winter set?
If you get that kind of snow, I would say for sure you need winter tires. Winter tires are also about temperature, they stay more pliable when cold. All-Seasons are really crap tires, not good in winter, ice and snow; not as good as summer performance tires. Tires are so important - all the safety, anti-skid controls, etc cannot make up for improper tires in snow and ice.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:14 AM

Yea as No12 said, with 100+ inches you may want to go get a cheap @ss set of wheels and blizzak tires or something like that. I also have a subaru and have run all-seasons on it for 9 years through our winters here in NJ and it's fine...however they are not run flats (which are not as soft) and we dont' get 100+ inches. This year we got like 60 inches and it was a lot for us....my subaru does fine with all seasons but if I was you with that much snow, I'd probably switch to blizzak or something like that.... X-drive is awesome (not sure it's better than my subbie..he he) but the tires will make you think your X3 sucks in the snow