Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 04-11-2011, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 28i
HEY NEW 28i OWNERS - THOUGHTS SO FAR?

Seems as though the majority of this forum are mostly filled with giddy owners who have a car on order. Just hoping to get some feedback from people who have taken ownership of their 28i... Were you nervous not getting the 35, and now after you have it - are you happy w/ the power w/ no regrets?
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2011, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: X3
To each his own as they say. I can say that I am extremely happy with the 28i. The power is more than adequate for my needs and the extra $$ are much better invested in all the optional equipment. Having said that, if I was 10 years younger, I probably would want a turbo!

As for the 28i, so far it has been terrific (although 10 days is too short a time to gauge anything).
Old 04-11-2011, 03:04 PM

As someone who has one on order - I'm sure I'll echo your sentiments when I get mine.... the fact that its still a car w/ great power w/ the feel if a bimmer is what ultimately is going to put smiles on all our faces.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonskitchen View Post
Seems as though the majority of this forum are mostly filled with giddy owners who have a car on order. Just hoping to get some feedback from people who have taken ownership of their 28i... Were you nervous not getting the 35, and now after you have it - are you happy w/ the power w/ no regrets?
I have been looking for the same feedback.

My 28i is on order and I opted for some extras instead of the turbo. (I love all the new technology) For me it's an easy choice as I have enough other toys with plenty of speed. The only thing I didn't get that I kind of wish I did was the DHP. I did test drive the 28i with the DHP in both normal (which I assume is the same as not getting it) and the Sport and Sport plus. Coming from an 08 X3 I was curious to see the handling changes.

In normal the ride was very comfortable with a nice feel of the road. (Very happy with that) The shift point changes are nice but like my current X3 I would more than likely always leave it in Normal. I did like how the steering tightened up in Sport+. It reminded me of my current X3. It gives you more of a feel for the road.

That's really the only part of the DHP I would like but I am sure after a while I won't even miss it.

If you want fun toy get the 35i with paddle sifters and put it in sport+ and let it rip. I had a blast but then again for me it is going to be a a daily driver. I can get my thrills at the track with my other toys that way I can't get any tickets.

Anyone with a 28i please feel free to tell us your thoughts...

Thanks
Old 04-11-2011, 05:46 PM

Love my car. Decided to load up and not go turbo. Plenty of power, turbo would have gotten me in trouble. I look down on freeway and go oops. Glad it has the gong speed notice. Glad I got all the options packages except sport handling. Gas mileage in city has not been as advertised but have only had it 2 weeks. No problems as of yet. Love the cameras and download music to hardrive. Nav has given me some wrong directions.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 (wifes car)
This is an impressive (as long as we get the transmission issue sorted) $42k car.
I think the value proposition diminishes as the price increases. We have been fortunate to have some serious iron over the years and went after this purchase looking for "value", something we truly feel this car delivers at a reasonable pricepoint. That is fancy talk for my wife saying "we have lost too much money on your stupid car purchases over the last 10 years"!
Old 04-11-2011, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
"That is fancy talk for my wife saying "we have lost too much money on your stupid car purchases over the last 10 years"

I've certainly heard that before from my wife......
Gone: 2011 X35i, Vermillion Red, MSport.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 F25
I had my X28 since mid-February and have all the nice little extras - Premium, Nav, Convenience, and Sport Activity. Other than a minor issue with wind noise from the drivers window (and the subsequent wait for repair parts), it has been fine. Drives and handles like a nice solid BMW. I get about 19MPG in mixed driving.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:28 PM

After 10 days I am averaging about 17 mpg but I have been pushing it hard.

I have to agree that the X3 navi leaves something to be desired. A $ 150 Tomtom is sometimes more accurate and easier to program than this. Touchscreen, anybody at BMW?

On the positive side, love the substantial feel of the car (having come from the 07 X3) and all the little extras. No problems so far other than not yet being able to program the garage door opener.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
The new generation of navigation is lousy and 5 series owners hate it too. I had hard time with it when I test drive the vehicle.

Potential X3 owners - do yourself a favor and get the dynamic handling package. Get a separate Nav unit.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:51 AM
Road or Beach

Mein Auto: 2012 Z4 35is
I recently move from 335i sedan to the 28i X3. Certainly I notice the lack of torque and power which I enjoyed. The additional expense of the traffic tickets I picked up I did not enjoy. The 28 has enough power for me and should keep more money in my pocket. Then of course there is the 4 fuel pumps and 3 sets of tires I went through in the 335i. The power comes at a price and at least for this lease cycle I am not stepping up to pay it.

I only have 800 miles on mine and I'm enjoying it just fine. Also did not get the Nav as I found the BMW Nav system only useful if you have an address finding POIs was a PIA. I picked up a Garmin with a better UI and saved $2000

Last edited by fl_cyclist; 04-12-2011 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: 328XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonskitchen View Post
love my 28i runs great !
Old 04-14-2011, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 2.8 Alpine/Oyster
We picked up ours a few days ago and love it. The 28 seems to have plenty enough power. I've had one minor issue with the bluetooth music streaming, but the sound quality of connecting directly is much better and has a lot more features. Also we love the Oyster interior.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 28i & 2013 328iX
I'm expecting my 28i in May...
though wanted to make a comment (not everybody might agree with it though) but looking at the speed limits (specially in Canada) which is 100km (70miles) on highways, i keep wondering when would we have a chance to use that extra power being ordered... looking at the fact that you need some extra bucks to buy the 35i, I think it may be a more reasonable choice to opt for the 28i and get some extras instead; same as many folks have done above...
good luck!
Old 04-16-2011, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3
I've had my 28i for a couple of months now and in my opinion, it's very powerful (that being said my last car was a Honda Fit lol but I had a Legacy and Mustang GT before that). I already got a speeding ticket with the car. I really don't believe anyone could use more power on city streets and I don't see why anyone would track an X3. The exhaust sounds great on this car and I literally love every moment I'm driving it. Anyone waiting on a 28i should be pumped to get it! I'm averaging 21mpg with mostly city driving. [I have a Canadian base model with only the panoramic moonroof option.]
Old 04-18-2011, 10:22 AM

Ha, glad to hear it... I'm still pushing my Acura RDX turbo although whenever I'm going a little too fast i say to myself, "self - save your speeding tickets for when you get the bimmer.... what a waste it would be to get a ticket just before the new ride!
Old 04-18-2011, 10:26 AM

When you get your X3, I guarantee you will pass one thing...the gas station!
I could not believe the lousy mileage the RDX gets....
Saw 25 mpg yesterday cruising at 70- 80 mph....
'08 Super Duty Power Stroke (retired)
'07 MB ML CDI (retired)
'04 Toyota Solara convertible (retired)
'03 Range Rover HSE (fired)
Old 04-18-2011, 10:31 AM

Good stuff smoker....always premium gas right? mineral siver w/ mojave sounds lucious btw.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:33 AM

Yeah, premium while the new car smell is still around...
'08 Super Duty Power Stroke (retired)
'07 MB ML CDI (retired)
'04 Toyota Solara convertible (retired)
'03 Range Rover HSE (fired)
Old 04-26-2011, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: x3
This is my first non-sport package, non MT in 20 years of driving 3's or x3's and I can't believe I'm typing these words, but so far, I'm happy with the way it handles and is performing. Only been two weeks, but these are the weeks where I'd be lamenting the loss the most. So, it's good! (As long as I stay out of the dealership, and don't see a MT and that nice, thick, beautiful leather-wrapped steering wheel )

What I don't like is cosmetic - don't like the metalic trim at all. Meh. Driving DH nuts, but working on replacing that. I figure can be done when the ding (sigh) that my boy put in the hatch (CLOSE THE GARAGE DOOR WHEN LIFTING THE HATCH!) is fixed.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Cactus
Mein Auto: 2011 X3 2.8i
I have 1200 miles on mine (picked it up 2 weeks ago) and am very happy so far. I went with Premium Pkg, Premium Sound, Heated Seats and Xenon Lights. The power is more than adequate and it handles well for an SUV. I went from a E90 328 with manual and sport package so it doesn't handle as well but it is fine for the driving I do most and I don't miss worrying about bottoming out or breaking a wheel on every pot hole.

The only thing that bothers me is the throttle lag from a stop. I may look into the aftermarket device that is supposed to make your throttle more direct.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:45 AM

please let us know what you find out in that regard....do u keep it in d/s at times? its fun but sometimes i feel like it 'gets stuck' in a gear when cruising...where as you think it should upshift, but i guess that's the point of it.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griggle View Post
This is my first non-sport package, non MT in 20 years of driving 3's or x3's and I can't believe I'm typing these words, but so far, I'm happy with the way it handles and is performing. Only been two weeks, but these are the weeks where I'd be lamenting the loss the most. So, it's good! (As long as I stay out of the dealership, and don't see a MT and that nice, thick, beautiful leather-wrapped steering wheel )

What I don't like is cosmetic - don't like the metalic trim at all. Meh. Driving DH nuts, but working on replacing that. I figure can be done when the ding (sigh) that my boy put in the hatch (CLOSE THE GARAGE DOOR WHEN LIFTING THE HATCH!) is fixed.
Did you get DHP?