Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: 1972 2002, 1987 325iS
oil temp?

Just switched over to a thicker oil for summer (20w50) and noticed quite an increase in oil temp with the change. According to the VDO it's up to 210-230, as opposed to the 160-180 that it has been at previously. Anyone?
Ads by Google
Old 04-27-2011, 09:36 PM
INSANELY UNPREDICTABLE!

Mein Auto: 1984 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by leecrosson View Post
Just switched over to a thicker oil for summer (20w50) and noticed quite an increase in oil temp with the change. According to the VDO it's up to 210-230, as opposed to the 160-180 that it has been at previously. Anyone?
Well considering that the oil you chose is thicker than your previous selsction, that could potentially make your oil temp increase.

Just like the thinner oil, the thicker oil will gather heat from the engine components but wont shed off the heat as fast as the thinner oil will thus holding more heat and increasing oil temps. Not to mention that the thicker oil will generally see more "thermal activity" because it is thicker it tends to cling to surfaces a little longer thus absorbing more and more heat, whereas the thinner oil would move more freely about the engine. BTW why did you switch to a thicker oil anyway? Have you noticed drops in oil pressure during the summer time only?
Old 04-28-2011, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: 1972 2002, 1987 325iS
... I purchased this car in October, so I haven't had any driving experience with her in the summer. I was running 5W30 through the winter because it seemed to be to be a good starting point for a Maine winter. She just rolled over 200k, so it seems to me that a thicker oil it the way to go to keep her in good shape (and if I'm not mistaken I think that's what BMW recommends anyway). A lot of guys in colder climates seem to run different weights for the season and a 30 definitely seemed a bit borderline for the inevitable July heat. So 50 weight was. That being said, I don't want to stress her out by forcing a bunch of slippery molasses through her. It's still fairly cool up here (40-60), so no doubt it's running thicker that it will in another month.
I wasn't surprised to see an increased in the temp, but I was surprised to see that it increased as much as it did. My tinker toy previously has been my 72 2002, which has no oil temp gauge, so this is new territory for me.

I'd love to get some numbers from other folks. What weight are you all using and what is your temp like?
Old 04-29-2011, 11:18 AM
INSANELY UNPREDICTABLE!

Mein Auto: 1984 318i
Im running 5w30 i live in califonia. It does get pretty hot here during the summer. But i have no problems.

Sent from me, who else?
Old 04-29-2011, 06:44 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
i ran 15w-40 during colorado winters with only a few stress starts (-20* mountain mornings) and ran 20w-50 summer (80-120* days) never had issues. the m20 engine can handle it.