BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

HELP!!! Power steering pump drain plug locatation for bleeding

14K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  vetaldj 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm in process of changing my leaking power steering hose (1997 528i) and having problems with finding bleeding screw at my pump... Looks ike I'm looking in wrong way or something - I checked all links I found here and some of them clearly show that plug and I just can't find it... Did anybody do that for '97 528i?

Any help/tips will be very appreciated...

#2 ·
I'm under the impression that there isn't a power steering drain that is easily accessible. Most people just change their fluid, and when they do that, suck it out of the reservoir and pour in more fluid, and bleed it by cycling the steering wheel a few times. HTH

#3 ·
Well, problem is that I don't need just fluid change, I need to change hose so I need all fluid out in one time... Will post pics to show my pump

#4 ·
I've seen pictures of the V8 E39 showing a drain bolt at the bottom underside of the power steering pump; but I don't see that same drain bolt on my I5 M54 engine.

If you do a quick /power steering(F3) in the bestlinks thread, you'll see tons of pictures showing how to drain the fluid and how to replace the hoses, including the cn90 tricks which save a hose or two from the recycle bin.

#6 ·
Thanks bluebee and Jimmys 530i, now I'm feel better because I started to think that I'm blind or something...

Now I need to find the cleanest way to do that... So, I need to first extract as much as possible and then dissconnect some hose, correct? I will read all helpfull links first focusing on this way.

#8 ·
Thanks bluebee and Jimmys 530i, now I'm feel better because I started to think that I'm blind or something...

Now I need to find the cleanest way to do that... So, I need to first extract as much as possible and then dissconnect some hose, correct? I will read all helpfull links first focusing on this way.
You can only extract about a cup of fluid from the reservoir using a turkey baster.
If you are replacing a hose why don't you just disconnect the hose from the pump and put a can or pan under it to catch the fluid in. The pump, hoses, and cooling loop in front of the radiator holds more than you will get out of the resevoir.

#9 ·
That's what I'm going to do but I decided first to find it out here if it's OK to do so.
I'm new to E39 and BMW as well as DIY kind of thing and I'm scary to brake something while fixing something you know.

#10 ·
My 2001 530i didn't have a drain plug.

#13 · (Edited)
Ok, now question which hose to remove.... I've read all links (well, all those that I found) but didn't find any good information how to remove fluid w/o drain plug.

First, I will suck all fluid from reservour. Then, how to proceed? Which hose I can disconnect to drain fluid? can I disconnect that one that comes to the pump? Or, can I disconnect return pipe coming to container, put it to some conteiner and start the engine without moving steering wheel for a few sec?

I will do it on parking near store so I need to make as less mess as possible so that's why I want to know how to procees with this....

Thank you all!

#18 ·
Ok, final update. I did it today!! Hurray!!!

My steps:
- Extracted all fluids from reservoir
- Removed reservoir from bracket
- Disconnected return hose from coil over to reservoir (this is the one that was replaced) from reservoir. Here I've got some fluid from reservoir but I was ready with towels and empty container.
- Disconnected 13mm bolt that holds two hoses at coil over BUT didn't removed them, while holding top one I just removed bottom one (that goes to reservoir and need to be replaced), got some fluid out but not much.
- Put new ring and attached new hose to its place
- Cleaned reservoir all hoses from mess
- Re-installed reservoir and added new fluid
- made about 10 turns, almost all fluids gone so I added some more to the almost MAX and made same 10 turns but this time level was the same.
- Cleaned everything and hurray - my first serious DIY done with success!

Thanks all for help and support!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.