Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: durango
Drove the 645 today. looked and drove great. New tires and brakes. History is a buyback from dealer early on (unkown reason) then routine maintenance history for the next 40k+, miles Most Recently was a repo.

Are there common lemon problems on these cars? The issue seemed to have been fixed but don't know what it was.

tempting that they are asking 27k. the 650's I see are a step up in the high $30-40k range and not sure I want to spend that.

I also drove a mint 05 boxter S w/ 20k miles they are asking 35k which is high but perfect shape and a fun drive. Love the SL500's but they are pure junk in multiple expensive maintenance w/ the electronics.

any opinions?
Old 04-18-2011, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: Lincoln Navigator
Need help making an offer on 06 650i coupe

Hello bimmerfest world! I'm new to posting on this forum, but l've long been a "lurker" on this site trying to absorb all the awesome bmw knowledge you all impart. I've never owned a 650i (or any bimmer for that matter), so I need advice on what to offer on an 06 650i coupe.

Details:
06 Coupe, black exterior/beige interior
sports package, cold weather package, premium sound package
dark birchwood trim
tires not new, but in good condition
non-CPO, but ~1year left on the manufacturer's warranty
1 owner and only 17,500 miles
Asking price is $41,500

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 Bmw 335i E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbjones33 View Post
Hello bimmerfest world! I'm new to posting on this forum, but l've long been a "lurker" on this site trying to absorb all the awesome bmw knowledge you all impart. I've never owned a 650i (or any bimmer for that matter), so I need advice on what to offer on an 06 650i coupe.

Details:
06 Coupe, black exterior/beige interior
dark birchwood trim
tires not new, but in good condition
non-CPO, but ~1year left on the manufacturer's warranty
1 owner and only 17,500 miles
Asking price is $41,500

The original warranty is only 4yrs. So it would already be out of the manufacturers warranty, now if the owner purchased an extended warranty find out details about transferring it, and what is actually covered, a lot of extended warranties leave off some of the big components. As for price not sure what to tell you because I haven't researched coupes much. but in compares that seems a bit high. Convertibles with like 35-50k miles, and CPOs and 2007 sell for about that much. So I think he's a little high. and bluebook is only $35,800. So he's way high

Last edited by Jace_91; 04-18-2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: added bluebook price
Old 04-18-2011, 12:59 PM

Thanks Jace_91. You told me enough with your response. You're correct, the car isn't covered under warranty, so I'd have to look at the different options and factor that in as well. Appreciate the input.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:21 PM

OK gang, I punted on the last 650 prospect based on the advice from Jace_91. Thanks for the input.

What say you (anyone) on the following 08 650i coupe.

Details:
08 Coupe, black exterior/beige interior
dark birchwood trim
new tires
CPO, manufacturer's warranty through July 2012
CPO warranty through 2014 or 100K miles
1 owner, 35K miles
Asking price is $41,500

Old 04-30-2011, 05:06 AM

Mein Auto: Infiniti M35 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
A year ago we traded our '05 530i with sportpac (purchased new, custom ordered and loaded)in on a new 09 750 LI. We like both cars. Now the question--I'm looking for a car for me--read 650. I love buying new, but it's getting a bit out-of-hand pricewise. And as the car is a second car for me, I'm liking the thought of getting a low-mileage '07 or '08. But nowhere can find discussions regarding the ever-so-slight differences applied to the 650 each year since the intorduction of the 650. About all I can discern is the difference in the rims.

Any help out there...

Bumping this as I am also wondering what the differences have been.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Here is what I found as new for the 2006 650i vs the 645Ci:
  • Revised N62B48 motor 4.8L vs 4.4L - +35 hp and +30 lb-ft
  • Start button and key fob
  • Comfort access available as an option
  • Interior contrast color is now dark gray (black)
  • New iDrive knob with leather insert (vs all metal)
  • New wheel designs
  • New exterior colors: Monaco Blue and Barbera Red
  • Active Steering a stand-alone option and no longer required with the sport package
  • Dynamic Stability Control upgrades: Brake Fading Compensation, Brake Standby, Brake Drying, Start-off Assistant (Hill Start Assist)
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 05-01-2011, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
Quote:
OK gang, I punted on the last 650 prospect based on the advice from Jace_91. Thanks for the input.

What say you (anyone) on the following 08 650i coupe.

Details:
08 Coupe, black exterior/beige interior
dark birchwood trim
new tires
CPO, manufacturer's warranty through July 2012
CPO warranty through 2014 or 100K miles
1 owner, 35K miles
Asking price is $41,500

zb, a few months ago I got a 650i convertible for my daughter while she is in Afghanistan. In fact, she just got back to the states today, and I'll pick her up in this beauty she hasn't even seen yet ... except in pictures.

It is also an 08, black/black with the dark trim; it is loaded, has everything possible. The leather is yummy. The tires, tho, are not new, but have less mileage than your car, so you're lucky in that respect. When test driving it, there was a problem with the battery, so I made them put in a new one, and got a trickle battery charger for it. It is so high tech, you might want to consider a trickle battery charger for your car, especially if you are in a cold zone.

I must warn you, tho. You get the initial warranty, but not to 100K miles unless you paid for it. Check it out carefully. In addition to the extended warranty (to 100K), there is a tire warranty, and I think another one. We'll go to the dealer when my daughter returns, and they'll go over everything with her.

I LOVE the 650i so much I'm joking about selling my house, buying a 650, and moving into it! The 650 truly is the Ultimate Driving Machine.

Good luck!
Old 05-01-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy View Post
zb, a few months ago I got a 650i convertible for my daughter while she is in Afghanistan. In fact, she just got back to the states today, and I'll pick her up in this beauty she hasn't even seen yet ... except in pictures.

It is also an 08, black/black with the dark trim; it is loaded, has everything possible. The leather is yummy. The tires, tho, are not new, but have less mileage than your car, so you're lucky in that respect. When test driving it, there was a problem with the battery, so I made them put in a new one, and got a trickle battery charger for it. It is so high tech, you might want to consider a trickle battery charger for your car, especially if you are in a cold zone.

I must warn you, tho. You get the initial warranty, but not to 100K miles unless you paid for it. Check it out carefully. In addition to the extended warranty (to 100K), there is a tire warranty, and I think another one. We'll go to the dealer when my daughter returns, and they'll go over everything with her.

I LOVE the 650i so much I'm joking about selling my house, buying a 650, and moving into it! The 650 truly is the Ultimate Driving Machine.

Good luck!
Cappy,
That's awesome that you bought the 650i for your daughter. After tending to it for a few months, you sure you'll be able to part with it when the time comes?:-)

Regarding my situation, I pulled the trigger on the 650 this weekend. It's being shipped from Alabama to Houston, so unfortunately I won't get it until late next week. BMW NA had been running a special on the '08 models, so I got the no-cost maintenance plan (2yr/50000miles) at no charge. With that, I'm covered under the maintenance plan through 2014 or 100k miles.

I did add the tire and wheel protection plan. Can't wait to receive my joy ride!!
Old 05-02-2011, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Cappy,
That's awesome that you bought the 650i for your daughter. After tending to it for a few months, you sure you'll be able to part with it when the time comes?:-)

Regarding my situation, I pulled the trigger on the 650 this weekend. It's being shipped from Alabama to Houston, so unfortunately I won't get it until late next week. BMW NA had been running a special on the '08 models, so I got the no-cost maintenance plan (2yr/50000miles) at no charge. With that, I'm covered under the maintenance plan through 2014 or 100k miles.

I did add the tire and wheel protection plan. Can't wait to receive my joy ride!!
YEA!!!!! Congratulations! You are going to love it. I know you are jumping up and down inside your skin with excitement!

First let me clarify: I bought the car for her, using her PoA and funds .. I can write a check from her acct and can legally encumber her. All under her direction, of course. We bought in January; I'm going to take your little bit of info and see what we can do for her. I'll wave the flag, if I have to! lol

Okay, I see. You'll have six years OR 100,000 miles. She'll have to deal with all those plans upon her return. The car has been garaged at a friend's house (I don't have a garage), and check on it periodically. That's the reason for the trickle charger. She also has an 02 X5, which she'll probably drive during the winters up in Rhode Island, leaving the 650 safe. I spent a week up there house hunting for her, and it's been a very long time since I've seen so many damaged cars on the road. I warned her about their craziness.

Again, congrats!
Old 05-04-2011, 04:48 AM

Mein Auto: 07 650i Convertible
Let me start by saying hello.. Obviously I'm new here but I've been referring here for months. I'm currently in the final stages of purchasing a 650. I've decided i want an 06/07 convertible and have narrowed it down to a few. My concern is that the ones I found for my price are located at independent dealerships (which scare me) as opposed to BMW dealers or carmax. I'm very thorough as this Is not my first rodeo but I am leery. I'm leaning towards a 07 650i, 47k miles, $36k and a 07 650i, 38k miles $35. Both verts.
My concern is that the first is a small independent dealer in Miami and the other is a private seller in Mississippi. Can I purchase and EVP on such vehicles? Im looking for the peace of mind as anybody would. Please give me as much insight on purchasing as possible on these or any 650's for that matter please
Old 05-04-2011, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
when I bought my '07 vert last year, I had the same concerns and ultimately found what I wanted by getting a CPO off-lease from a BMW dealer out of state (and BMW NA extended the free maintenance out to 6 yrs/100k miles as part of a sales program incentive). To me, it was well worth the somewhat higher price of the CPO over private party/indy dealer prices. Not sure about third party extended warranties, but presumably you can buy them on the sixes just like any other kind of insurance - just make sure you go over the fine print exclusions very carefully.

I noticed you are in Atlanta - if you're interested, send me a pm and I'll share my thoughts on the Atlanta dealers and who I ended up buying from.

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 05-04-2011, 08:22 AM

Absolutely. Thanks for the input. After reading in these and other forums of the misleading and stunts of third parties I rather go cpo or none at all. My problem is finding the right car. They currently have nothing available on the certified search engine, nationwide. The only cars I find to my liking are private party and ind dealer. In both cases, I'm reluctant. Is is possible tht BMW has unlisted inventory?
Old 05-04-2011, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
I had the best luck getting leads on CPOs with autotrader.com and cars.com.

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 05-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Yup.

Mein Auto: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceelow21 View Post
Absolutely. Thanks for the input. After reading in these and other forums of the misleading and stunts of third parties I rather go cpo or none at all. My problem is finding the right car. They currently have nothing available on the certified search engine, nationwide. The only cars I find to my liking are private party and ind dealer. In both cases, I'm reluctant. Is is possible tht BMW has unlisted inventory?
Keep in mind folks, you can find a CPO car being sold by a private party! The car is Certified Pre-Owned - it is not a Certified Pre-OWNER! Just make sure you run the seller's VIN and verify if you go the private route and that it is still intact.

In addition, there are other options:

You may purchase a car with less than 100k miles, and take it to the BMW dealer and have it inspected to see how much it would cost to get an extended warranty. THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS A CPO CAR.

The only entity that can CPO a car is BMW - and this is done on only 2 occasions - when the car is new, and the 6 year /100k mile warranty is purchased (comes with other constraints to maintain it), and also when the dealer takes in a used car, and puts it through inspections and ensures maintenance is up to spec, then can Certify the Pre-Owned car for resale.

There are also aftermarket warranties, not by BMW, that have a long list of exclusions, but may offer you enough piece of mind for the price (typically about $1k to $2k less vs from BMW, and sometimes offered outside of typical year/mileage restrictions).

In addition, there are numerous other warranties, but there is also some confusion regarding the $0 maintenance - which is NOT part of CPO, although happens to be for the same term of the original warranty of 4 years/50k miles. This CAN INDEED be extended to 6 years/100k miles, but it is again separate of the original warranty or the CPO. It is referred to as the extended maintenance plan.

Also, with CPOed cars there is PRE-PAID maintenance. You pay a monthly fee, have a deductible, and it is similar to having the extended maint plan.

Off the top of my head, there are a lot of other separate plans: As previously mentioned, there are tire plans, but also there is dent/ding protection, paint protection, interior upholstery protection, LOJACK, roadside assistance, sat radio, etc. These are once again, ALL TOTALLY SEPARATE from warranty.

IMHO, I would simply purchase a CPO car, and pay a slight premium, but not more than 15% of the total vehicle cost versus a non-CPO.

I am also in Atlanta and if anyone needs advice or simple local help, lmk - I would be happy to lend a hand in any way I can.

GL!

Maserati GT 4.2
Range Rover 4.4
Dodge Ram 1500

PAST: ALPINA B7, e63, e39, e39, e36

Last edited by Hossy; 05-04-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:04 PM

Ok so are you saying that theres the OPTION to pre pay maintenance? Or is that obligated to maintain it? For instance I purchase my 650 CPO; do I somehow resume these monthly installments to keep the coverage?
Old 05-04-2011, 12:15 PM
Yup.

To answer your question, Yes - pre-paid maintenance IS an option.

To clarify for you, no cost maintenance (brakes, oil, etc) is NOT part of any CPO itself. CPO is considered an extension of the 4yr/50kmi original warranty.

Maserati GT 4.2
Range Rover 4.4
Dodge Ram 1500

Old 05-04-2011, 12:40 PM

Ok I understand. The maintenance itself can be prepaid but the CPO warranty is an entity all it's own. The Cpo warranty stretches coverage to 6/100,000 and if I want the no cost maintenance I would Need to obtain that on it's own correct? That makes perfect sense to me
Old 05-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceelow21 View Post
Ok I understand. The maintenance itself can be prepaid but the CPO warranty is an entity all it's own. The Cpo warranty stretches coverage to 6/100,000 and if I want the no cost maintenance I would Need to obtain that on it's own correct? That makes perfect sense to me
You got it!

The trick would be to find one from a Private Party that is CPOed, has extended maintenance, and your color combo preferences - all within your budget! EASY!

Good luck, and be sure to report back to us here on your purchase!

Maserati GT 4.2
Range Rover 4.4
Dodge Ram 1500

Old 05-24-2011, 06:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to eurowned
Mein Auto: 2009 audi r8 4.2 r-tronic
Is anyone interested in taking over my 650i convertible lease?
Pm me for details if you are interested
Thank you

current: 2009 Audi R8 V8 4.2 R-tronic

FS: Vertini Hennessey 20" staggered rims, ACS trunk spoiler, and Cobra radar detector

past cars:

2009 650I Convertible *Fully Loaded* - Imola Red w/ Beige Dakota leather - gone... and not missed
2006 S500 AMG package Black/Black MURDERED OUT - Sold
Old 05-26-2011, 07:49 AM

I last posted that I was picking up my daughter, just returning from Afghanistan, in her new (to her) '08 650i vert. She happily giggled as she drove it, singing "Ride, Sally, Ride", and that's what she named her car: "Sally." Later, while she in "Sally" was following me as I drove my MINI, it looked like a Stealth Bomber following me. lol She is keeping her '02 X5, named "JoJo."
Old 07-28-2011, 04:30 AM

Mein Auto: TL
2007 vs 2008 650i

Hi All!
I'm looking at both a 2007 650i convert and a 2008 650i convert. Both have about 35K miles, and are both CPO. Both have Nav, Cold Weather, and Sport packages. The only differences are that the 2008 has paddle shifters and HUD.

My question is which one has the least services issues? How are the transmission reliabilities, etc.? Would you pick one over the other for any reason? I'd rather be driving the car, then have it continually in the shop.

I want to make sure I know what I'm getting myself into before I pull the trigger.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Both cars sound awesome. I think I would lean towards the 2008 for the extra year of CPO and the HUD/paddles.

If you can, try to get the service history for each from a dealer and see if either car has been in multiple times for the same issue. That is a good indication that there is a problem that the dealer cannot fix (pass on that car).

The biggest concern would probably be a recurring top issue (see Top Not Locked threads on this board). Check for accidents reported on CarFax/CarProof and I would still get a pre-purchase inspection on the car you plan on buying.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 07-28-2011, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the reply Yorgi.

I looked at the CarFax, and both seem good. Both have excellent service records. No accidents, that have been reported.

I've never had an SMG, which I am assuming the 2008 is, since it has paddle shifters. I've read some reviews on it, and some reviewers absolutely hate the SMG. I took out an M3 SMG the other day, and experienced some crazy head-slapping against the headrests. So, that was a little disconcerting... but the rep says the car has to be reset, and learn my driving patterns. Is that true, or just BS?

The pre-purchase inspection sounds like an excellent idea. And I will get right on that Top Not Locked thread.

I was just told by other BMW owners to make sure there are no common/recurring issues, especially with the transmission... but more especially with the SMG because of the added electronics and computer control.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
Both cars sound awesome. I think I would lean towards the 2008 for the extra year of CPO and the HUD/paddles.
Yes, everyone is telling me to definitely deal only with CPO vehicles. Now, the CPO covers absolutely everything but tires, correct? So all oil changes, servicing, repairs, etc. are covered. Short of me wrecking the car or something, right?