Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-02-2011, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: None
yup that's right. for summer wheels, can way to "upgrade" to them on the 18''?
Old 05-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewey View Post
All,

Picked up the new addition yesterday and I'm extremely pleased. The car reminds me of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hide. On the three hour ride home the car was an extremely comfortable highway cruiser. But, as soon as you put it into sport or sport+ mode it tightens up, drops a couple of gears, and seems to shrink by about a third. While it's not as nimble as the 08 335i sport that it replaces it is close enough that I don't think I'll miss the smaller sportier sedan all that much. The only real disappointment is that despite paying the same for the HUD option the x3 is stuck with the previous generation rather than the full color version in the 5 series. Still tickled to have the HUD but a little bit miffed none the less. The tires are unfortunately not staggered but will do until I decide to replace them with summer skins. Also, the M steering wheel is crazy fat and feels great. Enjoy the picks and let me know what you think.

Stewey

Stewey........I noticed in the pic that shows the console cupholders that yours are a different design than mine. My cupholders have 4 spring loaded prongs that make it very difficult to insert a styrofoam coffee cup. How well do your cupholders work? I suspect the design may have changed and if so, I'd like a better version. Thanks in advance.......
Old 05-02-2011, 06:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X3, 2008 MT X3
Hey No12 what happened in 2010? You forgot to get a new car! Well you'll make up for it this yearwith your near $60k X3
G-d BMW must love you.

Now I do not doubt the new x3 is better than the E83. Jeez it should be since the old one was based on the 3seriesfrom two generations ago. Still no getting around the fact that it is overpriced when you add the packages that have all the modern bits.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubed View Post
Hey No12 what happened in 2010? You forgot to get a new car! Well you'll make up for it this yearwith your near $60k X3
G-d BMW must love you.

Now I do not doubt the new x3 is better than the E83. Jeez it should be since the old one was based on the 3seriesfrom two generations ago. Still no getting around the fact that it is overpriced when you add the packages that have all the modern bits.
Yep, gotta love internet car forums..

Seriously tho, couple things. In Canada, BMWs are priced higher than in the US (actually the US pricing is about as low as it gets). This higher Cdn price used to make some sense when the Cdn dollar was about 70% of a US buck; but now, the Cdn dollar is actually higher than the US dollar (about $1.05 Cdn to the US buck) and STILL the Cdn prices are higher. But that is my problem, and not yours.

Secondly, I really don't think the X3 is too far out of line - compare pricing to the Audi Q5 for example. The Audi is "plusher" but the BMW is the better driver. Or compare to a Lexus RX400 (or whatever those are called today). Similar pricing.
Gone: 2011 X35i, Vermillion Red, MSport.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: None
In terms of overpricing - I don't think there's a better handling SUV period, let alone for the same price range!
Old 05-02-2011, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 Acura RL
Stewey,

Since you have one of the latest f25 builds to date, I was wondering if you noticed the following. Some users have reported that the navigation arrow in the instrument panel stays "on" after you have arrived at your destination via the navigation system. And that the only way to make the arrow disappear after you have arrived at your destination is to either turn off the car or to set a new destination and cancel it. One user from another board reported that his March build 28i did not do this and that the directional arrow in the instrument panel correctly disappears after you have arrived at your destination automatically. What has been your experiences with this?

The reason that I would want the arrow to disappear after reaching my destination is that if I drive someone back to their house, and I don't enter a new destination in the nav, I wouldn't want the arrow in the instrument panel to keep directing me back to my friend's house as I drove back to my house. The issue is that although the navigation is finished, the iDrive system forgets to update the instrument panel's display and thus the guidance arrow is still displayed regarding the last entered destination.

Hopefully they've addressed this issue with the new builds! At least that is what I am hoping.

Thanks,
SJ.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
I really think BMW just doesn't want to sell performance tires for the X3 because most Americans are too ignorant to change out of them at the end of the season. Then they inevitably get stuck or hit a tree, blame BMW, and swear off the brand for providing summer tires.

I don't believe in all-season tires no matter what car. If I ever get a VW Golf TDI, I'm puttin summer tires on that thing.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 28i & 2013 328iX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyresmoker View Post
Cubed...thanks bro...I have caught enough crap on these forums for swimming upstream...Newsflash...The X3 is NOT a $58k car, I don't care how it is equipped.
My wife has one, and we are very happy with it...for $41+k...
I kina agree (not that the car is bad... it is incredible!!!) but I think that's a bit stiff for a X3!!!
Although in Canada we are paying much higher compared to US
Old 05-03-2011, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
I really think BMW just doesn't want to sell performance tires for the X3 because most Americans are too ignorant to change out of them at the end of the season. Then they inevitably get stuck or hit a tree, blame BMW, and swear off the brand for providing summer tires.

I don't believe in all-season tires no matter what car. If I ever get a VW Golf TDI, I'm puttin summer tires on that thing.
I agree. Tirerack has enough comments from people buying summer tires and then complain about the tires' winter performance.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535
Questions about the cupholders and Navigation

I had read in previous posts about some new X3s having an issue with continuing to give guidance even after the destination was reached or guidance was cancelled. My April build does not seem to have this issue. I checked it out on the way home last night just to be sure wondering if I had missed it because I was staring at the HUD and I couldn't see any residual guidance in the Main display/Driver display/ or HUD. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the combo of hardware and what software version was installed. The cup holders that were mentioned are inserts that press into the standard cup holder position to prevent the spring clips from poking holes in cups with weak sidewalls. This is my best guess so far because those clips almost poked a hole in a styrofoam cup I picked up at the drive thru. I also think the chrome ring adds a nice finish. I hope this helps.

Cheers

Stewey
Old 05-04-2011, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 Acura RL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewey View Post
I had read in previous posts about some new X3s having an issue with continuing to give guidance even after the destination was reached or guidance was cancelled. My April build does not seem to have this issue. I checked it out on the way home last night just to be sure wondering if I had missed it because I was staring at the HUD and I couldn't see any residual guidance in the Main display/Driver display/ or HUD. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the combo of hardware and what software version was installed. The cup holders that were mentioned are inserts that press into the standard cup holder position to prevent the spring clips from poking holes in cups with weak sidewalls. This is my best guess so far because those clips almost poked a hole in a styrofoam cup I picked up at the drive thru. I also think the chrome ring adds a nice finish. I hope this helps.

Cheers

Stewey
Stewey,

This helps a lot. I have a similar setup to yours except no HUD or satellite radio. Hopefully with the new firmware and this hardware setup that the navigation issue won't be an issue as well. I appreciate you going out of your way in testing this.

Now all I need is a production date! Still waiting for it to start production. Should be a May production build but still no word. Ordered it about 2-3 weeks ago.

Thank you,
SJ
Old 05-04-2011, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: ML350
Beautiful car. How are you finding the rear seat and cargo area space? I'm coming from a ML350 and have 2 young kids and a frequent golfer, wondering if the cargo area is sufficient (my ML is constantly filled to the rafters with stuff) and if the rear seat room is sufficient for 2 kids. If the F40 X5 were out i'd get that, but since that's not an option, exploring whether the X3 would suit my needs. Any feedback? thanks.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
Beautiful car. How are you finding the rear seat and cargo area space? I'm coming from a ML350 and have 2 young kids and a frequent golfer, wondering if the cargo area is sufficient (my ML is constantly filled to the rafters with stuff) and if the rear seat room is sufficient for 2 kids. If the F40 X5 were out i'd get that, but since that's not an option, exploring whether the X3 would suit my needs. Any feedback? thanks.
Isn't the ML350 comparable to X5 sizing?
IMO, X3 is more comparable to GLK350 in terms of sizing...
Old 05-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Retired

Mein Auto: 12 z & 09 Accord Coupe
competitive group for X3:

for the 28
Acura RDX
Audi Q5 2.0T
Cadillac SRX
Volve XC60

For the 35
Audi Q5 3.2
Lexus RX 350
M-B GLK350 4Matic

RTOM.....
Old 05-04-2011, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: ML350
Yes, the X5 is more comparable in sizing with the ML, but the X5 is in need of a refresh, and i really like the new X3. My guess is that the F40 X5 will be similar to the F25 X3 but a bit larger, but that car won't be out for another 2 years. So, my question about the cargo area/rear seat room remains. Also, what are the considerations in choosing between the M-Sport and Sport Activity packages? I really like the looks of the SA package with the 19 inch style 309 rims, not sure i need the M package. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
... here is an overview of the dimensioning:
2011 ML350 2011 X3

Width 83.7 82.6
Length 188.2 183.0
Height 71.5 65.4
Wheelbase 114.8 110.5
Rear Legroom 40.0 36.8

Cargo Capacity (Std/Max) 72.40 27.60

So I think you are not comparing at same level... I would go comparing it with a X5:

2011 ML350 2011 X5
Cargo Capacity (Std/Max) 72.40 75.20
and there X5 is slightly better...
Old 05-04-2011, 10:09 AM

...has nothing to do with the dimensioning topic above.. but interestingly caught my attention is the "depreciation factor" which states that the BMW resumes a higher value vs. M-B after a total of 5 years ownership:
ML350 X3
MSRP $46,490.00 $41,050.00
Depreciation $22,680.00 $22,990.00
Old 05-06-2011, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 525d 2011
great car all except for the orange reflectors in the headlights (fugly!)