Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-06-2011, 06:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 28i & 2013 328iX
Cool Bmw X3 beats Audi Q5

Does everyone agree with the difference here or there's a bit of exaggeration blend?

Ads by Google
Old 05-06-2011, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Saw one of these before in a shop setting comparing the quattro with the x-drive and it had the same sort of result. I would like to see the same test on the Land Rover dealer's fake "mountain" course in front of their store. I am leary of any "test" that plays to the strength of one and the shortcomings of another system. My old Tahoe (and any Jeep) would have zipped up that ramp and wouldn't have broken a sweat. However, it might have collapsed the ramp!
Old 05-06-2011, 08:00 AM

fair point there uncleJ...
But I think the tri-challenege has always been the X3-Q5-GLK and these folks tend to see inside the box only...
I think as long as one out-performs the other two, there're good to go.
But my question is, is this really a true test, or they are being kinda like conservative when the Q5 is performing and exaggerating when taking the X3?!
Old 05-06-2011, 08:05 AM

You never know when it is a "sponsored test". What was turned off, what tires? These are useful IMHO when done in an objective way with independent testers. Just my thoughts.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: subaru outback
went to an X3 demonstration event where they showed the video. Explanation was that BMW AWD was able to transfer 100% of traction to wheels that had traction, while other cars could not. I believe the presenter said Mercedes GLK could transfer only 65% and Lexus only 35%. Can't recall what was said about Audi, but it was less than 100%
Old 05-06-2011, 08:42 AM

there is another video (exclusive) I saw at the dealeship which is an official scientific test between all 3. I think it is sort of confidential because he didn't forward it to me... (or then again...sponsored?!)
But the point was that they demonstrated the tests (about 10 different ones), testing all 3 cars simultaneously!!! The cameras were positioned in a way that all three started at the same time and BMW was always the quickest.

suvguy, I think the Audi was 80ish%. I'm gonna ask the sales rep if he can send me that video. It a good 20 min clip.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
suvguy, I think the Audi was 80ish%. I'm gonna ask the sales rep if he can send me that video. It a good 20 min clip.
Meh. Does any of this really matter in real-world driving?

I've owned a 1998 Audi A4 Quattro and a 2006 BMW X3. They both handle snow and rain fine. I'd say the Quattro was more seamless. I couldn't feel it kicking in. The X3 is a little more noticeable, and I've been able to induce wheel spin occasionally. That said, the X3 (which is 8 years newer) is a more satisfying drive.

My $0.02

James
Seattle, WA
Old 05-06-2011, 12:25 PM

Have an A4 Quattro (wife's) and an X3 both handle mud and rain just fine (no snow in the Bay Area). I agree with Wally about the Audi being more seamless -- it is a much more supple and linear (if that makes sense) drive. The X3 works well, can spin a tire, but gets through just fine. Both seem fine to me, as does the Haldex system in my daughters' two Volvos (XC70 and XC90) which do handle snow well up at Tahoe.