Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 05-11-2011, 11:46 AM
No12 No12 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Western Canada
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 665
Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mole7374 View Post
I think that's right....

Hey quick question...speaking of oil changes....I know the X3 doesn't come with a "break in" change...which I really don't like... is everyone planning on doing an "extra" break in oil change, and if so, at how many miles? (I was thinking like 2500 or 3000) And then going forward, how often or how many miles are you going to change the oil. I know that with synthetic once a year is fine, but I like to err on the side of caution and I'm thinking like every 10-12K miles
I always do an extra service on a new car, at my expense, at around 3 to 4000 kms. I usually do one extra oil service in between the annual ones.
__________________
2014 MINI Cooper S, Thunder Grey, 6MT
Gone: 2012 135i Coupe, Jet Black, MSport, 6MT
Gone: 2012 135i Coupe,LeMans Blue, MSport, DCT, Prem
Gone: 2011 X35i, Vermillion Red, MSport.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 05-11-2011, 11:48 AM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,555
Mein Auto: '06 X3
Right, the annual oil service is based on 12 months in service -- no matter how many miles short of the recommended level you have driven. You will get no argument from the SA on this either, it is right in the book.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 05-11-2011, 12:23 PM
n55x3 n55x3 is offline
Registered User
Location: usa
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 46
Mein Auto: x3 turbo
I will be changing ours around 1500 miles. Our driving instructor at the BMW center also recommended the factory oil be drained around 1200 mile.

I could never let a new vehicle go ~15,000 miles on it's original oil. It is not so much the durability of the oil rather the contaminants from the assembly process. When they bore the blocks and do other milling activities there is a huge amount of coolant and other liquids used. These motors are probably dipped in a bath to clean them prior to final assembly but there is always residue left in the valleys and holes. Not to mention that there is potential for small metal partials to present themselves as the engine breaks in.

You can get an entire kit for $70 here: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

Keep in mind you can use alternate oils to the BMW branded stuff as long as it is LL-01 rated I believe.

For our first change I'll just use the kit in the above link.

For me it is a small price to pay for the confidence in knowing I should have a healthier engine.

***** Now if I was just leasing the vehicle for 3-4 years then no doubt I'd just let the onboard computer tell me when to change. Also, some may think this additional oil change is overkill but honestly I'll enjoy doing it and I'll enjoy looking at and touching the chassis components (sounds kinda weird I know!)

On a side note I firmly believe oil changes will eventually be nonexistant. As better filtering technologies present themselves and better oil cooling designs become available the oil change will be a thing of the past. Similar to auto tranny fluid. Maybe oil change every 100k miles but that's it.

Last edited by n55x3; 05-11-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 05-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Want the Thrill Want the Thrill is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 976
Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
I was going to do my first oil change at 2,000 miles and then a second one within the year BMW time frame. So that would be 2 oil changes in the first 10,000 miles. Will that be good enough? After that, will one a year be enough if I'm putting 10k on the vehicle, or should I stick with 2? If the X turns out to be somewhat reliable, I plan on keeping it for 8 years or so.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 05-11-2011, 01:37 PM
mole7374 mole7374 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: North Jersey
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 202
Mein Auto: (soon to be '11 X3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
I will be changing ours around 1500 miles. Our driving instructor at the BMW center also recommended the factory oil be drained around 1200 mile.

I could never let a new vehicle go ~15,000 miles on it's original oil. It is not so much the durability of the oil rather the contaminants from the assembly process. When they bore the blocks and do other milling activities there is a huge amount of coolant and other liquids used. These motors are probably dipped in a bath to clean them prior to final assembly but there is always residue left in the valleys and holes. Not to mention that there is potential for small metal partials to present themselves as the engine breaks in.

You can get an entire kit for $70 here: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

Keep in mind you can use alternate oils to the BMW branded stuff as long as it is LL-01 rated I believe.

For our first change I'll just use the kit in the above link.

For me it is a small price to pay for the confidence in knowing I should have a healthier engine.

***** Now if I was just leasing the vehicle for 3-4 years then no doubt I'd just let the onboard computer tell me when to change. Also, some may think this additional oil change is overkill but honestly I'll enjoy doing it and I'll enjoy looking at and touching the chassis components (sounds kinda weird I know!)

On a side note I firmly believe oil changes will eventually be nonexistant. As better filtering technologies present themselves and better oil cooling designs become available the oil change will be a thing of the past. Similar to auto tranny fluid. Maybe oil change every 100k miles but that's it.
Good post and I agree on your points for sure.... I was thinking 2500 miles but I think the 1500-2000 is better..agree. I think I'm just going to take it to the dealership for the oil change b/c #1 I don't want to be bothered (those days behind me) and #2 I certainly don't want to mess anything up...

Now final question...I've always been a Mobil 1 guy (no debates please...just sayin...) I believe BMW uses Castrol synthetic for their "OEM" correct... so if I go to the dealership with a case of Mobil 1 they will substitute no issue right?
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 05-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Glen E Glen E is offline
Retired
Location: SE USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 334
Mein Auto: 12 z & 09 Accord Coupe
I think they will want you using their castrol.....give it a try though.....
__________________
'12 Z4 2.8 - Melbourne Red
'09 Accord Coupe LX-S - Red/black

RTOM.....
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 05-11-2011, 07:17 PM
mole7374 mole7374 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: North Jersey
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 202
Mein Auto: (soon to be '11 X3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen E View Post
I think they will want you using their castrol.....give it a try though.....
Ok thanks for the feedback Glen...since you worked there you'd know so I apprecite it. In the end I'd rather do what's best for the vehicle, so even if I've been a Mobil 1 guy if Castrol is what has been engineered into the X3 I'd rather keep it consistent.

I knwo this is a rat hole question and for another thread, but I don't have any experience with Castrol....how is their synthetic?
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 05-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Glen E Glen E is offline
Retired
Location: SE USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 334
Mein Auto: 12 z & 09 Accord Coupe
Its fine...all the oils are the same for guys like us that change often....you can rave all you want that that's not true, but really they are..... when you change in less than 5k
__________________
'12 Z4 2.8 - Melbourne Red
'09 Accord Coupe LX-S - Red/black

RTOM.....
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 05-11-2011, 09:01 PM
dckang dckang is offline
Registered User
Location: Bay Area
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 39
Mein Auto: 2011 X3
ready to order my x3 i think! invoice+1200 which includes those maco/training seem to be the best i can get.....

is the standard tires 17? i was not planning to order sports package...anyway to get the 18s style 307 ones? they look much better....
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 05-12-2011, 05:00 AM
n55x3 n55x3 is offline
Registered User
Location: usa
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 46
Mein Auto: x3 turbo
Congrats on your purchase! Sounds like you got a good deal! You're going to love the new ride. 17" come on the 28i. You might be able to find a dealer that has a set of 18" that were take offs from another X3. You might also ask how much if you trade in your 17" wheels for the 18"ers. They may give you like a $500 credit for your 17".

Concerning oil, as long as it is LL-01 rated you should be good. Valvoline, Mobile, Pennzoil, Castrol all offer a valid oil.

See here for a list of options directly from BMW: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ngineOils.aspx

I also agree that all the syn oils are going to be the same. I've been a life long user of Valvoline so I'll probably go the Valvoline route but probably doesn't matter all that much.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 05-12-2011, 01:54 PM
dckang dckang is offline
Registered User
Location: Bay Area
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 39
Mein Auto: 2011 X3
havnt exactly put in the order yet....having issues with budgeting!!!!! CA tax is way too high.

Would you guys rather have the Technology Package? or Sports Package + rear view/park distance control added?
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 05-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Want the Thrill Want the Thrill is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 976
Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Right now Nav is mandatory due to the Japan parts shortage so keep that in mind when figuring out your configuration.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 05-13-2011, 10:22 AM
dckang dckang is offline
Registered User
Location: Bay Area
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 39
Mein Auto: 2011 X3
Sales person told me i could order without but would just take longer for delivery.

The near 10% tax here really kills my budget, so want to see what would people prefer...

Sports Activity Package (+rear view/park-distance control) vs Technology Package

Difference about $500?
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 05-13-2011, 11:09 AM
n55x3 n55x3 is offline
Registered User
Location: usa
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 46
Mein Auto: x3 turbo
I think it all comes down to what kind of driver you are and what you plan on using the X3 for.

For us, faced with a similar situation and seeing it was a daily driver for the wife, she opted for the tech package and all it's included goodies. If you are a tech junkie this would also be the option for you. There is also a certain wow factor associated with the big tech screen and all it's capabilities.

The only reason I see getting the Sports package would be for the seats. If you sat in them and absolutely loved them then go that route. Other than that there is no real performance gains to be had.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 05-13-2011, 11:58 AM
mole7374 mole7374 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: North Jersey
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 202
Mein Auto: (soon to be '11 X3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
I think it all comes down to what kind of driver you are and what you plan on using the X3 for.

For us, faced with a similar situation and seeing it was a daily driver for the wife, she opted for the tech package and all it's included goodies. If you are a tech junkie this would also be the option for you. There is also a certain wow factor associated with the big tech screen and all it's capabilities.

The only reason I see getting the Sports package would be for the seats. If you sat in them and absolutely loved them then go that route. Other than that there is no real performance gains to be had.
Agreed except for one thing....the sports package does get you more than just the seats...it does get you a performance gain...but ONLY on the 35i. On the 35i, if you get the sports package, you actually get the "normal, sport, sport+" toggle switch next to the gear shift. Again that's only for the 35i...however this toggle switch will only give you steering and throttle adjustments unless you order DHP...then it gives you the suspension too.

This has been a very confusing thing but many people have now verified it...again ONLY on the 35i this applies, and it ONLY applies to steering and throttle response and ONLY applies if you get the sports package. From there, suspension adjustment ONLY applies if you got DHP as well.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 05-13-2011, 01:33 PM
dckang dckang is offline
Registered User
Location: Bay Area
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 39
Mein Auto: 2011 X3
actually i was thinking sport package just for the 18in wheels...
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 05-13-2011, 02:15 PM
mole7374 mole7374 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: North Jersey
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 202
Mein Auto: (soon to be '11 X3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dckang View Post
actually i was thinking sport package just for the 18in wheels...
oh gotcha...yea on the 28 that is a DEFINITE upgrade for sure.... 18's are standard on 35 so forgot about that on 28
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 05-13-2011, 04:13 PM
dckang dckang is offline
Registered User
Location: Bay Area
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 39
Mein Auto: 2011 X3
Went with the tech package instead for the earlier delivery.

Sales price: 43,500 for 28i, premium, tech, heated seats, xenon light. Not exactly sure what was the exact invoice price, each dealer quote me something different....

Last edited by dckang; 05-13-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms