Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 04-25-2011, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: 1986 BMW 535is
1986 BMW 535is LSD problems

Hi guys i purchased a 1986 bmw 535is LSD for $500aud, Being a young fella and taking a bigger interest into the older Bmw's i thought this would be a great project car for my partner or eventually myself

Now i've taken a few photos of the main things concerning me at the moment

problems

1. Trip computer and litres per 100km ( under rpm gauge ) the trip computer is showing its doing 39.5litres per 100km's and also litres p/100km is off the chart, is there a way to reset these? i dont think this is correct as i would of run out of fuel along time ago,

2. No indicators, However when i push the hazard lights button all indicators work and i can hear the indicator relay clickin under the steering wheel, Now when i bought this car it was a victim of a 'relationship breakup' The lady i bought it from said her partner took off overseas with the keys and because of limited access for a tow truck to tow her from the airport a mechanic had to break the ignition barrel and disconnect the indicators from the immobiliser as they wouldnt 'turn off' , so when i turn the ignition ' Check indicators' Is always flashing and no indicators when i turn the indicator stick, could someone point me in the right direction where i might find the immobiliser?

3>oil filter..where is it? Is that the cylinder Infront of the brake fluid resivoir? i have my owners handbook but being 20+ years old unfortunatley all the pages have stuck together and it will be a good nights work carefully seperating all the stuck pages

4, No key to start car , startable with screwdriver, Will my best bet here to just take the ignition barrel and get a new key moulded or should i just put a whole new barrel on completley and get new keys moulded for the door locks?

5, Tell tale signs of LSD leaking( or was leaking) not dropping any oil now but it appears on the right hand side of the diff there was oil leaking at one stage , any suggestions on where and how to refill it, also when i brake the 'brake lining' light illuminates and a audible metal metal sound is heard from the rear, This would be the pads yeah? or the actual rotor itself? i'm yet to put her up on the ramps but i should tonight and take a few more photos

6,(please refer to the last photo) what does this do? i noitced air coming through it when the cars running and the wires behind it im assuming plug into it, but what does it do?

my last question is where is a good place to source parts for these cars, i found 'bavauto.com' are they any good? they seem to have everything for the 535is,

Being a young fella this is going to be my baby not a city thrasher, can you recommend me any good tips into doing DIY for myself ? like maintenance e.t.c?

thanks so much for your help and reading and what a great forums cheers and look foward to any replies, please find pics attached below , please excuse the dates on the pictures, just havent been bothered to change the date and time yet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	php6BSFf0PM.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	276253   Click image for larger version

Name:	php6pO4SKPM.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	276254   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpdGFOlFPM.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	276255   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpdv9ncBPM.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	276256   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpNgjlPCPM.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	276257  

Name:	phpqZtoB1PM.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	276258   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpvJWsIcPM.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	276259   Click image for larger version

Name:	phpwRZ1OcPM.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	276260  
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2011, 08:20 PM

Mein Auto: 1986 BMW 535is
sorry guys few more photos here for some reason they didnt all upload, Or maybe they all did, Also is a gas conversion possible for these old girls? Over here in AUS were getting rebated 2000$ to install gas in our cars, would be so much more affordable for me to run aswell

im also confused wether this model is an e28 or one of the first M3's? im just not sure because when i open the the owners manual it has m3 on the first page but also other models listed, the motor is a 3.5litre multipoint injected if that helps?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	phpNgjlPCPM.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	276261  

Last edited by havik_racing; 04-25-2011 at 08:28 PM. Reason: more pics
Old 05-13-2011, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: e30s and e28s
Hi,

Nice choice of car for a start. You've got an e28 and possibly the sport version too if its a "is" with a LSD. I'm not sure of the different specs available in Austrailia ( Euro versions were 535i, M535i and I believe the US had the 535i & 535is) The M535 and the 535is were the sport versions, usually with the plastic bodykit but this was also a delete option as some people wanted the sport pack but to retain the chrome look (same body kit as the e28 M5) These also had the option of the close ratio "dog leg" sport gearbox, sport suspension and the LSD out back, there were other differences but I wont go into them all, plenty of others have done so before and in greater detail!

I'm not sure how to reset the computer but it can be done

I dont know where the immobiliser is either unfortunately as neither of mine have one so it may be OEM or aftermarket but check for the obvious things like indicator fuse, it is different to the hazzard fuse I believe. Also check the wiring to the indicators if you haven't already.

As you face the front of the car, the oil filter is on the RHS of the block, towards the front of the engine, a little tucked under the inlet manifold. Its within that silver casing.

BMW might be able to provide you with a key upon proof of ownership but I'd just look for a set of locks and ignition off a donor car in a scrap yard, or someone on here must be parting a car that you could buy them off.

The diff can be filled through a plug on the top of the casing I believe, a bottle with hose-like spout will do this.

The grinding from your brakes would suggest the pads have worn down to the steel and are scoring your rotors. Replace both the pads and rotors and you wont have to worry about them for good while.

The thing with the air coming out is quite possibly a headlight adjuster, they use vacuum to adjust the lights up or down in case you're carrying any fat ladies in the back!

Have a look for a Bentley Manual for the car, it will prove invaluable when fixing all these little bits and pieces. The Haynes Manual is good too but not as detailed.

As for parts - I'm in Ireland so I cant help you there but BMW Europe are quite cheap for some parts and crazy expensive for others ( 40 for e28 wing - 50 for e30 touring rear screen washer button!!) Euro************* are also good as are GSF (german swedish french) but these are Irish / UK based companies but good for checking prices online and if you were stuck they might just ship if contacted directly. Most of the guys who work there are into their cars too. Also check this site, very handy for part numbers.
http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/

The 535 is a great car and like a freight train when it gets going!! All e28s can give a little trouble from time to time, especially if left sitting up, but most cars do and its nothing you cant fix and they are well worth it too.

Enjoy!!!
Old 05-13-2011, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: e30s and e28s
You can convert them to run on gas too, I've seen a few eastern european conversion here on the 7 series using the same engine. I looked into it but the cost of the install vs the saving between the price of gas and petrol meant I'd have to drive for a few years before I saw any savings! I didn't bother. Gas (LPG) is harded to get here too. It was easier to get here in the 80s than it is now, a lot of stations stopped selling it for some reason, but then not everything the govt does here make sense (or anything they do for that matter!!)

Work out the costs and if it make financial sense to do it then do it but I'd concentrate on making your car 100% first if I was you, no point in spending cash on a gas conversion if it isn't reliable in the 1st place. But its definitely worth considering for the long haul (no pun intended)