Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-16-2011, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW Z3 2.3 manual
Z3 Amplifier upgrade question

Hey all, this weekend I upgraded most of the speakers in my 2000 z3 2.3 and later this week the Integral Audio 8" sub kit will be arriving. I have a Rockford Fosgate P200-2 amplifier given to me for free that I will install to power the subwoofer.

BUT, although the new sound with the new speakers and without the terrible ~5 inch stock "subwoofer" assembly is quite improved already, I have a feeling that a little more uumph will be needed from the stock amp, especially at higher volumes and speeds with the top down.

So, I've been reading the forums, and I just want some guidance about replacing the stock amp. It seems some people have used 4 channel amps, but they use the head unit to power some speakers and such. I don't want to go that route because that is too complex for me. I'm thinking about keeping the Rockford for the sub and just getting a new amp for the other speakers, although I'll consider one big amp that can handle it all. But I don't mind the space that extra sub specific amp will take up.

So, the question is, should I get a 6 or 8 channel amp? The speakers are as follows...btw I am pretty sure I do not have the HK setup since I don't see HK on anything:

2 floor midbasses - about 5.25 inches I think
2 door tweeters
2 door midranges
2 behind the driver seat 4" midbasses
5 inch subwoofer POS that I removed and will be replacing with the Integral Audio 8" subwoofer.

I thought I heard that the tweeter and midrange have the same connection, but maybe not. I don't really know. Please help me out here, 6 or 8 channel. I think I can manage pulling all the plugs (or cutting and stripping them) from the stock amp and putting them in the new one.

Also, one more question....I suppose I also need (passive?) crossovers as I understand that is done in the current stock amp? What will that cost approximately? Do I need one for each channel or pair? Also, it seems that some people also buy a rather large capacitor - do I need that, and what terminals is that connected to. Lastly, please let me know anything I might have missed or any other guidance. Thanks a ton!

P.S. I don't really want to replace the head unit unless there is a really good reason to. I have a DICE setup with my ipod in the trunk that works fine for me.

Last edited by jalanparker37; 05-16-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Ads by Google