Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:44 AM
Big Mike Brown

Send a message via AIM to brown370
Mein Auto: 07 BMW X5 4.8i
Ok, I took my 04 645 in because while opening my top the rear decklid would not open. The service advisor told me it would cost under $500 to replace the angle rotation sensor. I brought my car in and waited on the repair to be completed. After about 4 hours the service advisor came out and said my top was fixed, but they had to fix the top and bottom sensor and the cost would now be $750. He said my car was ready and asked it I had time for a car wash and I said yes. He told me to come pick up my car at the cashier in 15 minutes. After I walked over to the cashier to pick up my car the service advisor informed me my top started opening and closing on its own and my top open/close switch was flashing. He said that they needed to replace my switch too and it would cost an additional $750. I told them that I was not paying to install another part. He said they wanted to look at the top anyway to try to fix the figure out what the problem was and ordered the switch. I was giving a loaner 2010 335 with the M package nice. When I returned 3 days later to get my car I was told the problem still existed. I told them that I was going out of town and needed my car. The technician disabled my top and it also disabled my rear window and trunk. I told them that I was not paying to enable the top once I returned to ATL. The service advisor gave me a discount of $120 off my bill but, I still was not happy because, my top was not fixed and I was out of $630 bucks. I will take it back to the dealer once I return to ATL and I expect the problem to be fixed because my top was not opening and closing by itself when I brought it in. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Big Mike Brown

Send a message via AIM to brown370
Mein Auto: 07 BMW X5 4.8i
Update. I dropped my car back off to BMW for them to fix the opening and closing problem they caused after installing the upper and lower sensors. Two weeks have passed and I have not got a phone call from BMW yet. I have been driving a loaner 2009 BMW 328 four door while my car is in the shop and I miss my car. Hopefully they will figure it out soon.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: 08 650i convert
I have an 08 650 vert, the first three months I had major engine and battery issues, but chalked it up the fact that car sat unloved until I got in Jan 09. However, later in 09 and many times through 2010l, and as recently as last week this stupid top not locked issue has come up - I've taken the car in for service at least 5 times and each time I am told problem solved. untile next time? I have a year left on this lease - was planning on moving into an alipna next year, and hope they work with me to end the lease on this lemon and start the new one on the alpina. worst case they say no, and I try the new Audi
Old 01-31-2011, 08:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
The top unlock problem is a royal pain. I have had the issue come up a couple of times and am now so nervous about lowering my top that I rarely use it. What good is a vert if you can't lower the top???
Old 04-11-2011, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 650i Convertible
I've owned an 07 650 vert since November, loving it, but one bad note is that I'm on my second "Top Not Locked" problem. I read this whole thread before dropping my car off with the dealer, BMW of Palm Springs, CA, and asked them to check the sensors, and see if the TSB regarding the frame for the top has been done...

They're not commenting on my questions. The SA just emailed and said, after leaving it there three days ago:

Quote:
"The tech said the trunk partition was not set properly. He reset the partition and the top is working fine. We are letting it sit outside to try and get a heat soak on the car to see if it is going to fail. I will get back with you as the day progress."
This is my third BMW over 10 years with a trunk partition -- believe me, I tried it up, down, and again -- my guess is since my car's still under warranty and CPO, they're reluctant to do a bunch of work. But at least they're trying the heat.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
hope it works - mine top had the error code last month, and the dealer re-aligned several sensors for me, no charge.

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, premium sound, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with non-RFT super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, 5W bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for the family - no mod's
Old 04-11-2011, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645ci
My car with "Convertible Top Not Locked" issue has broken again for like the 7th or 8th time. It's been broke for about 2 weeks and I haven't had time to get it into the shop. But I got lucky one saturday, I came out it the light was off, it worked fine that day 3 or 4 times. Sunday morning I came and and light by switches is back on and has been on since.

This top sucks.

If anyone can find an electrical diagram of the top sensors, get it to me. I will find a way to fix this crappy design and after market it.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:40 PM

Mein Auto: 328
For the convertible top lock issue, I found if you use the Allen wrench to tighten the top frame the message goes away and the convertible top will operate again. Does anyone know if there is simple adjustment so the motors tighten on the top frame more firmly?
Old 04-18-2011, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650i
confirmation on the allen wrench?

Has anyone else tried tightening to fix the problem? '06 in the shop now for third time for this issue. First time I was under full warranty, second time I was in my extended CPO warranty and had to fight to have it grandfathered in. I'm sure I'll have to fight for this one, too. Anyone else have issues with getting dealers to service this issue when out of full warranty?
Old 04-18-2011, 01:28 PM
2005 645CI Vert.

Mein Auto: 645CI
I had just bought mine a couple of weeks ago and certainly although I have had no problems with the top, I got parannoid.
I stopped by the dealership this morning and they ran a history report and the only top problem was a clogged drain in 2008 and no other top issues reported.

I have no warranty with this car and I absolutely love it , but I keep praying now every time I open the top that it will close just fine .
Old 04-22-2011, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
This just happened to me today. Windows halfway down and supposed to rain today. I'm waiting on a callback--thanks to everyone here, I'm going to reference this thread when I talk to him.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:58 AM

Mein Auto: 645ci conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsa240 View Post
For the convertible top lock issue, I found if you use the Allen wrench to tighten the top frame the message goes away and the convertible top will operate again. Does anyone know if there is simple adjustment so the motors tighten on the top frame more firmly?
Can you elaborate on where these adjustments are made??
Old 04-24-2011, 07:25 PM

I took the thing back to the dealer and traded in for a 7 series, I was on fix number 5 and they had no way to promise that my issue wouldn't return over and over. I did love top down drive, but the stupid pinging noise everytime the weather changed was too much.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:33 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to dagozuniga
Mein Auto: 2007 650i
how did you fix the problem?

I have a 2007 650i and the same trigger has set off and now I have been stuck for the last two days with the windows half way up. What did you do to reset the error so that I can get my window back up? This is the second time this has happened to me and the first time I let let it sit for a while and it reset. This is very anoying since I just bought the car 1 month ago. Im sure that the previous owner had the same challenge. Is there any recall on the sensors? Please help.

Thank you,

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStranger27 View Post
I run an engineering firm, and one of the things I always stess is "An engineer is not qualified on his technology, until he knows how NOT to use his technology."

In the case of the convertible top lock alarm on the 07 650i, this is a case of runaway technology application - just because. Application without a rational and ethical review of its contingencies/downsides. That is NOT engineering.

I am constantly having the car alarm tell me that the car roof is unlocked and binging at me as I drive down the road with the top perfectly in place. But, what it also does is assumes I must be some idiot, and locks out the windows so I drive around in the rain with them all down, or locks the top in the open position so I am driving around in the rain with it down, locks up the trunk so I cannot get into it and here's the best part......

It keeps the alarm condition for a solid half hour!!!!!!!! Whooopeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!! That way I can enjoy being parked under bridge overhangs in rainstorms for a half hour while the false alarm resets.....

The tire pressure alarm constantly goes off, even though my tires are all to spec, the "Headlamp" "Licenseplate" Lamp alarm lights are always going off.....

I took it into the dealership and they could find nothing wrong, and the problem is intermittent (like only happens in the rain or when I am at the airport 50 miles from home, etc).

What the heck do I do? Has anyone else had this problem?

TStranger
Old 05-01-2011, 11:36 AM

no charge...

Was your car under warrenty? How long did it take for them to do the work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregb View Post
hope it works - mine top had the error code last month, and the dealer re-aligned several sensors for me, no charge.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:17 PM

tried tightening and didn't work

I tried tightening the top with an allen and it did not work. Does anyone have a simple solution for helping me put my window back up? I have tried disconnecting the battery, letting the car cool over night in my garage, check all fueses, this is nutts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsa240 View Post
Old 05-01-2011, 12:29 PM

its a defect, plain and simple. the only way to resolve it is return the car
Old 05-01-2011, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheemer View Post
its a defect, plain and simple. the only way to resolve it is return the car
LMAO...If everyone returned their cars due to design flaws there would not be many German cars, or any cars for that matter, on the road.

Fix it and enjoy the car, it's one of the best convertibles on the road.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 05-01-2011, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Do a search and you will find lots more info on this site. This thread is one of the larger ones.

Here is the TSB which mentions modifying the frame to help reduce sensitivity of the sensors.

Most people have the problem fixed after one visit to the dealer these days (vs up to 10 visits by some people in the past). Dealers have had a lot more practice fixing this so they seem to know what they are doing now compared to a few years ago.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 05-01-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagozuniga View Post
Yes, it was still under the base 4 yr/50k warranty, so I took it in, got a loaner, and had it fixed within 24 hours - overall, a very good service experience - see the thread with last post on march 22 here.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=527227

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, premium sound, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with non-RFT super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, 5W bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
Old 05-01-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
LMAO...If everyone returned their cars due to design flaws there would not be many German cars, or any cars for that matter, on the road.

+1 Yep... the vert top issue is not even in the ballpark as something that would make me give up my sweet beast!

Old 05-01-2011, 03:33 PM
539 South!

Mein Auto: 08 650 Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post

Agreed... there is some sort of "ownership" one assumes when buying an auto of this caliber. Not that I'm lumping us with other fine european cars but I don't think Benzes, Porsches, Audi, to name a few are synonymous with reliability. Now, that VW/Bugatti may have something to brag about if you can outlive one set of tires. On another hand Hondas and Toyotas are as reliable as a toaster. Anybody want to trade their 650 for a Solara?

08 Stratus Gray
Cream Beige/Dark Wood
HUD/Night Vision
Lane Departure
Passport 9500CI w/GPS
Resonator delete & added "X-Pipe"

Current Toys:
Sea-Doo RXT-X aS 260 (supercharged, intercooled, Fox Shock Remote Res suspension) handles chop like a dream!
Ski-Doo Renegade X ETEC800 & 500ss
Polaris RZR800s - TURBO!
26ft Hurricane w/twin Yamaha 150 Outboards
Ford F250 6.7 King Ranch

Previous Toys:
2004 M3 SMG
40 foot Mainship Sedan Bridge
Yamaha GP 1300R waverunner
Old 05-12-2011, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: 645ci
bmw 645 2004

I have a problem with my convertible roof the default code says the top is unlocked but its not and the light flashes constantly and the top won't open need help.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagozuniga View Post
yeah, still under warranty - 24 hours with a loaner car in the meantime, so no complaints.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:56 PM

Mein Auto: 650i
Whats the chances of getting the dealer to fix my CV top if my factory warranty just expired in March and i'm now under CPO warranty? I took my car to two different dealers on two different occasions and both times they could not duplicate the problem as the warning light would reset it self just prior to reaching the service department. My previous visits should reflect in the system correct? Forth warning light came on three days ago however this time it went into safe mode with all windows half way down.