Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-02-2011, 06:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Bike Transport

Has anyone rigged their ride for road bike transport? I am debating getting a hitch-mounted rack but am concerned about 1) cost 2) apparent lack of an approved hitch for X3 and 3) possible interference with PDC. I have already discovered the downside to roof racks---driving my bike into and through the garage. Not good.

What experiences good do folks have with the roof rack (base support system)?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Has anyone tried to see if the interior bike rack from an E83 works in the new F25? That might be a solution, if the rails are the same distance apart.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Has anyone tried to see if the interior bike rack from an E83 works in the new F25? That might be a solution, if the rails are the same distance apart.
I should know next week.
Iím trading in my old X3 on a F25. It should be here on Friday, so Iíll see if the interior bike rack from my old X3 will work. I know the interior dimensions are close, so Iím hopeful.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. (Mark Twain)

any spelling or gramitical errors on my part are just glitches that appear to those that are not pproperly keyed into my code generator. If this occurs, pleas PM me for an updated deKription key.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:20 PM

I have the BMW base system. Very similar to thule aero bar design I had on my previous 335xi. I was able to use the Thule bike trays I already had however. Not a perfect fit but good enough.
2011 X3 35i, Titanium Silver, Mohave Nevada Leather, Sport Activity Package, Convenience Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Technology Package, Brushed Aluminum trim, Head-up Display, Satellite radio, Logic7
Old 05-15-2011, 04:48 PM

The interior bike rack from the first generation X3 (2004-2010) DOES work in the F25 2011 X3.
The rails are a little narrower on the F25, but even securing to just one rail provides good stability once the bike attachment is attached.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike 1.jpg
Views:	1038
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	278580   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike 2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	278581   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike 3.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	278582   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike 4.jpg
Views:	1622
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	278583  

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. (Mark Twain)

any spelling or gramitical errors on my part are just glitches that appear to those that are not pproperly keyed into my code generator. If this occurs, pleas PM me for an updated deKription key.

Last edited by harplayr; 05-15-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:32 PM

Good to know. Are you using any additional equipment here besides the interior bike rack or is this all included? Thanks.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyjote View Post
Good to know. Are you using any additional equipment here besides the interior bike rack or is this all included? Thanks.
Itís all included in the kit for the old X3.
It includes the 2 cross rails, one bike holder (you can buy another one to hold 2 bikes) and a couple of straps to hold the wheels down.
It only takes a couple of minutes to set up and is very convenient.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Road or Beach

Mein Auto: 2012 Z4 35is
Looks good, I was thinking of a DIY project using a Yakima Viper tray and making some track mounts to just directly mount the tray to the track and bypass the whole cross bar system. Anyone see any issues with that approach?

Old 05-18-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl_cyclist View Post
Looks good, I was thinking of a DIY project using a Yakima Viper tray and making some track mounts to just directly mount the tray to the track and bypass the whole cross bar system. Anyone see any issues with that approach?
With some rigging it could work, but youíd have to accommodate for the fact that the seats when folded are not perfectly flat. You will also probably need an offset as the rails may be too close to the side of the car to work well so in the end you might still need cross rails for stability.

I took the easy way and just used the BMW part without modification or thought.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Road or Beach

Mein Auto: 2012 Z4 35is
Quote:
Originally Posted by harplayr View Post
With some rigging it could work, but you'd have to accommodate for the fact that the seats when folded are not perfectly flat. You will also probably need an offset as the rails may be too close to the side of the car to work well so in the end you might still need cross rails for stability.

I took the easy way and just used the BMW part without modification or thought.
I think the BMW option only comes with one bike mount, right? Best price I can find is $245 + $25 shipping. Adding in another bike mount would push this up. I can do the Yakima solution for two bikes for $238 but I need to measure as you say to make sure everything will fit ok. I'll play around if I can get it to work I'll post it

It would certainly be nice if BMW or a third party just made one for he F25 that fit right, demand is probably just too low.

Last edited by fl_cyclist; 05-18-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl_cyclist View Post
I think the BMW option only comes with one bike mount, right? Best price I can find is $245 + $25 shipping. Adding in another bike mount would push this up. I can do the Yakima solution for two bikes for $238 but I need to measure as you say to make sure everything will fit ok. I'll play around if I can get it to work I'll post it

It would certainly be nice if BMW or a third party just made one for he F25 that fit right, demand is probably just too low.
BMW DOES make one that fits just fine as I demonstrated.
Pricey yes, but it works.

Last edited by harplayr; 05-18-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:46 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Anyone know where would a aftermarket rear bike holder attach? Was thinking I might have troubles with the low hanging trees near my house if I get the roof bike rack? Has anyone hooked up a rear-mounted bike rack to their X3?