Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 05-25-2011, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 97 528, 05 X5 4.4 Sport
Ever hear of Winhere brake rotors??

Had a noise in my brakes, figured it was the big ridge on the edges of both front rotors (original rotors at 105k miles!!) causing the scraping sound. So I pulled them off and took them to my local favorite FLAPS to put on the brake lathe and remove the ridge. But they ended up turning the surface of the rotors too and ended up below min. With the car up on jackstands in my driveway and a nasty storm fast approaching I couldn't wait a day for Zimmermans so bought a pair of rotors they had in stock- Winhere brand. I've never heard of it and I've probably changed a couple hundred brake rotors on all the cars I've owned over the past 35 years of driving.

But, I figured for $32 each it would worth a shot. Put them on, got out my dial indicator, and they're absolutely round and true. Bedded them in and so far so good. Time will tell. At least in my case the 528 isn't my back road play toy. Just hope they hold up to the daily commute.
1996 R1100R
Ads by Google
Old 05-25-2011, 04:10 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90K528 View Post
Winhere brand
It's certainly not in the most recommended set of rotors list:
- What brake pads & rotors are recommended for street use on the E39
Old 05-25-2011, 04:12 PM
Hofmeister Kink

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
Zimmerman coated or OEM. The rest are just that.

The rest.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: 97 528, 05 X5 4.4 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherGeezer View Post
Zimmerman coated or OEM. The rest are just that.

The rest.
I agree, except that Zimmermans weren't available when I needed them. Was able to get Zimmermans same day for my X5 a few months ago but I guess the E39 is old enough that the largest supply house in the Chicago area doesn't keep them in stock.
1996 R1100R
Old 05-25-2011, 06:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90K528 View Post
I agree, except that Zimmermans weren't available when I needed them. Was able to get Zimmermans same day for my X5 a few months ago but I guess the E39 is old enough that the largest supply house in the Chicago area doesn't keep them in stock.
Oh no! Don't say "too old". It makes me feel, well, OLD.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:56 PM

I don't mean to ignite a flame war ... but ... um ... isn't a rotor ... well ... um ... isn't a rotor just a rotor?

I mean ... what on earth could they do differently with rotor A versus rotor B if both are the OEM size and form factor (i.e., not drilled or slotted but vented just like the OEM rotors).

I'm sure lot's of things 'can' be different (e.g., materials used & tolerances); but, practically, are there 'really' major differences between the various brands of rotors of the same fitment?

Isn't a rotor, a rotor?
Old 05-26-2011, 04:42 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528iA
Theoretically, I get your point. But I once had a Jeep where both front rotors completely rusted away from the hat and I had no brakes as a result. When I took it apart there was a donut and the hub hat in two separate pieces. I kept those in my garage for years as a reminder. About a year later, Chrysler had a recall on their rotors. Wonder why.
Point being, there certainly is a difference in rotor quality.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:53 AM

Mein Auto: 02/1994 530i 8cylinder
So Winhere, Losethere?
Old 05-26-2011, 08:28 AM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Mark@EAC
Mein Auto: e39 5
We carry zimmerman, ATE, Balo, and then some.
http://www.eaceuroparts.com/parts/BM.../5510/35432665
Old 05-27-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark@EAC View Post
I opened a separate discussion over whether a rotor is a rotor, or not, over here:
- Is there 'really' a difference between (standard) E39 rotors of various brands?

I have no datapoints other than intuition ... but ... my default is that a rotor is a rotor (assuming OEM fitment and recommended brands such as those EAC Tuning carries).
Old 06-24-2011, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: Looking for a 3
I just read this thread! Any Updates on how these rotors are? I am thinking of getting Winhere for my 2002 330ci?..

Thanks
Old 06-24-2011, 08:55 AM
j'aime bmw

Send a message via MSN to tiloulou330i
Mein Auto: 2002 330i zsp
I have these rotors for more than 20k miles now and no problem.Rotor is rotor.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:52 AM

Cool Good to know.. was just wondering if their product could be trusted.

Now can purchase with confidence!
Old 06-24-2011, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark@EAC View Post
http://www.eaceuroparts.com/parts/BM.../5510/35432665

+1.
I would go with a good reputable manufacturer, German made would be a plus+...!
LOL!
I would also talk to Michael at R1Concepts/ Acute Performance for some StopTech rotors that are already electro-static treated, and have the hats pre-painted.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=462719
Old 06-24-2011, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 5251
Rotor is NOT rotor.

a Cheap rotor is..... casted, heat treated, machined, oiled and put in plastic and then a box. cost maybe $40 to $60.00

A good rotor is..... a) casted homogeneously b) stress relief c) pre-machined d) heat treated to specs e) final machine f) other process i.e. electrostatic treated g) vent holes machined h) painted on hat and rib edges.

typically $ 90.00 to $ 120.00 you have to drive a car with the good rotors to appreciate them.

Same car same speed different rotors you will feel the difference.
Cheap rotor tend to warp after the first re-cut might as well throw them away.
Good rotor last for a while. You drive a great pricey car why would you put cheap rotor???
Old 06-24-2011, 01:50 PM

The reason I am looking for a less expensive option:

1. I am a college student on a budget and have to replace my clutch as well.

2. If I have to replace my rotors every time I do my pads, its hard for me to justify spending that much each time.

I am just looking for an affordable option, that I can use as DD (very few spirited drives) and that wont empty out my wallet. Of course within reason; I don't expect to pay nothing and get the best.

The way I see it right now it that if there has been satisfied reviews on these rotors, I can try them out and they may fit my needs. If not, I will move up next time I need to change my pads.

Is it likely that cheap rotors brake? Will they become unsafe? Because, if the worst that can happen is aesthetics (shake), I can deal with till the next time I need to change the set.

Heck, its a $50 investment that may save me lots in the long run.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjrex View Post

1. I am a college student on a budget and have to replace my clutch as well.

2. If I have to replace my rotors every time I do my pads, its hard for me to justify spending that much each time.

I am just looking for an affordable option, that I can use as DD (very few spirited drives) and that wont empty out my wallet. Of course within reason; I don't expect to pay nothing and get the best.

The way I see it right now it that if there has been satisfied reviews on these rotors, I can try them out and they may fit my needs. If not, I will move up next time I need to change my pads.

Is it likely that cheap rotors brake? Will they become unsafe? Because, if the worst that can happen is aesthetics (shake), I can deal with till the next time I need to change the set.

Heck, its a $50 investment that may save me lots in the long run.
Brakes, like brain surgery and parachutes, is the wrong place to try to save a buck. Everything from the raw iron ore to the quality of the final inspection will determine the integrity of a rotor. Whenever available, I prefer Balo....they`re the only manufacturer that owns the foundry where the iron ore is processed, and their QC is of the highest caliber.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 06-24-2011, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast bob View Post
brakes, like brain surgery and parachutes, is the wrong place to try to save a buck. Everything from the raw iron ore to the quality of the final inspection will determine the integrity of a rotor. Whenever available, i prefer balo....they`re the only manufacturer that owns the foundry where the iron ore is processed, and their qc is of the highest caliber.
+1.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:37 AM
j'aime bmw

Send a message via MSN to tiloulou330i
Mein Auto: 2002 330i zsp
I bought them here.....http://www.******************.com/basket.php
Old 06-25-2011, 11:53 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 99 528iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by microswitch View Post
Cheap rotor tend to warp after the first re-cut might as well throw them away.
Good rotor last for a while. You drive a great pricey car why would you put cheap rotor???
It's basically impossible (as the OP found) to machine our BMW rotors; the metallic properties are such that they wear at 1/2 the rate of the pads, that is, they need to be changed every two pad changes.

But I agree, if you want to save money on a BMW, don't own a BMW... and certainly don't save money on your brakes or tyres!
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Old 06-25-2011, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i Sport AW
Anything that is not blessed by Bmw logo or price is not welcome here. For crying out loud, its a used bmw, have a try at something else. I am very happy with my R1 concepts from acuteperformance. Sorry to be a pain to know it all heads and gurus of this 9+ YEAR OLD BMW forum.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:24 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
You guys crack me up.

I am ordering Winhere brakes for my car today. By the way, Winhere Brake Parts is a division of Gates Automotive a huge automotive supplier.

The Winhere brake disc is an OE-Quality replacement for the premium segment of the European aftermarket.

OE-Equivalent and Direct fit Application.
High carbon content disc.
Protective anti-corrosion coating.
Resistance to thermal cracking and distortion
Provides a higher friction coefficient.
Resistant to vibrations and noise.
Improved heat dissipation

Warranty Information: 12 month - 12,000 mile limited warranty.

Winhere Manufacturing - Winhere Auto-Part Manufacturing Co., Ltd. manufactures brake rotors, brake drums and water pumps for automotive aftermarket and original equipment customers. The 10-year-old company sells over ten million brake parts and water pumps annually.

One more thing, our race shop sells "OP Parts" rotors. Made in China. We beat the hell out of them on our race vehicles and they are ever bit as good as Porsche OEM. Just make sure they are DOT/TUV certified, and you are good to go.

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 01-14-2012, 10:57 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjrex View Post

I don't want to start an argument, but why would you want to change your rotors every time you change your pads? Granted I know that some people hold to the philosophy of changing everything when they do brakes. But if as you say you do little spirited driving and your a poor college student (like me) your rotors should last at least 2-3 pad changes...
Old 01-14-2012, 11:06 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEinfeldt View Post
I don't want to start an argument, but why would you want to change your rotors every time you change your pads? Granted I know that some people hold to the philosophy of changing everything when they do brakes. But if as you say you do little spirited driving and your a poor college student (like me) your rotors should last at least 2-3 pad changes...
I don't. If the rotors are not seriously grooved, I slap new pads in there and bed them normally. Works fine.

This time, however, my front rotors have a very tall lip... meaning they are quite thin. It is easier to buy new rotors at $60 each.

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 01-15-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEinfeldt View Post
your rotors should last at least 2-3 pad changes...
How do you know if you don't measure the thickness?

Mine, for example, which I measure at each pad change, seem to only last through two sets of pads before they reach the wear limit stamped on the edges.

Copious details and pictures are here:
- One user's example of a complete brake job with all torque figures, specs, measurements, fluids, decisions, tools, tricks, mistakes, suppliers, costs, etc., that it entails (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post
If the rotors are not seriously grooved, I slap new pads in there
I'm no expert, but I've never seen a "seriously grooved" rotor. We have an entire thread on how deep and wide a groove must be to be considered a fail - and you'd be shocked at how HUGE a groove is by specifications, that would fail a rotor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post
This time, however, my front rotors have a very tall lip... meaning they are quite thin.
I agree rotors are cheap (in perspective) so replacing them isn't a big deal ... but instead of the size of the lip, I'd simply measure the thickness & runout.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need