Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: 1990 bmw 525i
My 1984 bmw 325e -- Tips for a neewb?

Hello All,
I picked up a 1984 BMW e30 with 190,000 miles (*sigh) from South Tucson a few days ago for $950 (CLICK LINK BELOW FOR PHOTOS). It runs OK. I mean, it got me 12 miles back home without any overheating; fairly consistent idle at stops. Feels like it's running pretty rough - but it has new oil and coolant (maybe just needs valve adjustment - new valvesprings???) When I start it the revs surge to about 2000 then drop down for a quick second to 500. It seems that there is a direct correlation between the oil light flickering on and the revs dropping 500 (in other words - as the rpms drop the oil light quickly flickers but then goes off). The coolant warning light is showing even though it is full. Maybe this has to do with a sensor that wasn't reset or replaced? The brake light warning light comes on when I first turn on the car, but the second I touch the brake pedal it goes off. Fuel gauge sometimes works (?).

The paint is in REALLY good shape relative to its location (New Mexico for about 10 years and southern Arizona for the rest of its life). No rust that I could find. Power windows, power mirrors and power moonroof all work great. The dash board and front seats have some significant damage from the sun. The compressor belt is missing for the AC. Air doesn't seem to be blowing out of the middle vents at all - only the defroster vents. The plastic panel that goes under the steering wheel (above the drivers knees) is missing.

One dent, one broken taillight and some missing plastic on the front bumper. These are the only exterior flaws that bother me.

A couple of things that throw me for a loop about the car is the location of the battery in the trunk, and the car starting without the clutch engaged!!!! But, then again I AM a noob so pretty much everything is new to me.

I have to make this thing a daily driver within the next couple of weeks so any tips or advice on things to look for: things to replace right away, things I should have a professional mechanic do as opposed to me risking screwing something up. I want this to be a learning experience, however.

Here are some terrible photos I took right after I bought it_apologies.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5717601...7626711679377/
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2011, 06:07 PM

Mein Auto: '84 325e, '00 323i
I have an 84 325e as well. I would recommend an oil change, water pump, timing chain, and motor mounts. And when you are in there, clean and inspect every thing you can.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:49 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
for the idle thing, the oil light comes on cause the oil pressure drops below the sensors set point at the low idle. thats normalish. also depends on the oil. i recommend castrol 20w-50 for where youre at year round.

for the idle to drop sounds like either a dirty afm, bad fpr, and could probably used some plugs. i used denso u groove coppers, alot of people use bosch coppers.

coolant light would be the sensor. the brake light is normal, just makes sure you dont have a broken bulb.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:34 AM

Mein Auto: 1990 bmw 525i
Thanks for the tips! I'll take a look at the AFM.

Where is the best place to order timing belt/water pump kits from? In general, where is the best place to order parts from? Specific brands I should stay away from?
Old 05-30-2011, 02:00 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
bavauto.com bimmerworld.com were the two i mainly used