Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 05-30-2011, 10:34 PM
petros2r's Avatar
petros2r petros2r is offline
Ducati fills my BMW's gap
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 415
Mein Auto: '05 645ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by funktekk View Post
if you can notice a balance change of less than 1% then you should be a test driver for Ferrari!
Alright genious... Car weights about 4000lbs and 50% would be 2000lbs. Now removing 2 mufflers (100lbs each), would result in 10% weight reduction. You don't have to be a f1 racer to figure this out.
__________________
2005 Ducati Monster S2R 800
2005 BMW 645ci Cabriolet - SOLD
2013 Lexus RX 350 F Sport
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 05-30-2011, 10:41 PM
JPEG23 JPEG23 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Wichita, KS
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 555
Mein Auto: E63
Quote:
Originally Posted by petros2r View Post
Alright genious... Car weights about 4000lbs and 50% would be 2000lbs. Now removing 2 mufflers (100lbs each), would result in 10% weight reduction. You don't have to be a f1 racer to figure this out.
I believe the weight reduction would probably be closer to 75 pounds total and the coupe weighs in at about 3600 pounds from the factory. Regardless, I think in a bit nicer manner, the moral is you won't notice the difference unless your a driving legend.

I don't care really, just let's keep this topic on subject guys...

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
__________________
6 series - Sapphire Black w/ 22" Beyern Mesh wheels
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 05-31-2011, 04:26 AM
funktekk funktekk is offline
Registered User
Location: South Carolina
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 70
Mein Auto: E63 & E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by petros2r View Post
Alright genious... Car weights about 4000lbs and 50% would be 2000lbs. Now removing 2 mufflers (100lbs each), would result in 10% weight reduction. You don't have to be a f1 racer to figure this out.
100lb! are they really that heavy. I was thinking 15lbs each.


I used 30lb over 3780lb for my calc.

I've also heard it said amongst racers that 10lb of weight off the car is like 1hp extra power. don't know that actually works, but I've heard it said a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 05-31-2011, 12:17 PM
E92-Lighting's Avatar
E92-Lighting E92-Lighting is offline
info@e92-lighting.com
Location: Walnut CA
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,593
Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
waiting for installed video or shots
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 05-31-2011, 03:52 PM
funktekk funktekk is offline
Registered User
Location: South Carolina
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 70
Mein Auto: E63 & E46
I'm getting my mufflers removed tomorrow over lunch.

I found a shop to use the stock tips.

I can post some video, but the only thing I have is an iPhone and that quality has already be posted.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 05-31-2011, 04:10 PM
feriors feriors is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 210
Mein Auto: 05 645ci
I've done this mod quite a while ago and I defintely recommend it. Compared to stock, the car sounds much louder and sportier. I did the airfilter delete and resonator delete. Replaced the resonators with an x-pipe and kept the stock tips. It dramatically increased the sound but not loud as an aftermarket muffler. Always wanted to change the mufflers to aftermarket to get extra sound but still satified with the resonators delete.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 05-31-2011, 04:57 PM
JPEG23 JPEG23 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Wichita, KS
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 555
Mein Auto: E63
Quote:
Originally Posted by feriors View Post
I've done this mod quite a while ago and I defintely recommend it. Compared to stock, the car sounds much louder and sportier. I did the airfilter delete and resonator delete. Replaced the resonators with an x-pipe and kept the stock tips. It dramatically increased the sound but not loud as an aftermarket muffler. Always wanted to change the mufflers to aftermarket to get extra sound but still satified with the resonators delete.
Sound clips please; you'd be the first to have a clip and really let us get a comparison...also is their any drown at say 2k rpm?


Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
__________________
6 series - Sapphire Black w/ 22" Beyern Mesh wheels
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 06-01-2011, 05:08 AM
sigma95 sigma95 is offline
6 Therapist
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 45
Mein Auto: Tahoe
I shopped around a bit and found a local independent muffler shop that cut the front 2 resonators and welded in 2 straight pipes for $60 last week. Good burble at start up and quiet until you step on it. Nice V8 rasp/crackle over 4K RPM and on downshifts/compression braking. Comments from friends is that it sounds aggressive (when you step on it) but not obnoxious. I have stock exhaust, no engine mods, and kept the 3rd (box) resonator. It's all a matter of personal taste. When I get it back up on a rack I'll take some pics since there always seems to be a fair amount of questions on this topic.

FYI...local national muffler shop chains offered to do the same job for $250?!.
Took my neighborhood shop 20 minutes. I'll be sure and post some video with sound. I'll be sure and include video from inside the car while driving as well (wish more posts had that perspective), since that's where you will hear it most of the time anyway.
__________________
I highly recommend my 6 Therapist when feeling under-Sixed .
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 06-01-2011, 02:37 PM
funktekk funktekk is offline
Registered User
Location: South Carolina
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 70
Mein Auto: E63 & E46
just picked up the 6er minus mufflers...

it is much louder, not sure if it's for me though.

with the windows down it is down-right scary. windows up, much more tame, but still noticeable.

more to come after my workout.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 06-01-2011, 02:52 PM
gregb's Avatar
gregb gregb is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Marietta, GA
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 995
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma95 View Post
I shopped around a bit and found a local independent muffler shop that cut the front 2 resonators and welded in 2 straight pipes for $60 last week. Good burble at start up and quiet until you step on it. Nice V8 rasp/crackle over 4K RPM and on downshifts/compression braking. Comments from friends is that it sounds aggressive (when you step on it) but not obnoxious. I have stock exhaust, no engine mods, and kept the 3rd (box) resonator. It's all a matter of personal taste. When I get it back up on a rack I'll take some pics since there always seems to be a fair amount of questions on this topic.

FYI...local national muffler shop chains offered to do the same job for $250?!.
Took my neighborhood shop 20 minutes. I'll be sure and post some video with sound. I'll be sure and include video from inside the car while driving as well (wish more posts had that perspective), since that's where you will hear it most of the time anyway.
video/sound would be great - I'm a little leery of going too loud, especially with the vert...
__________________
Regards, Greg


'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 06-01-2011, 06:42 PM
funktekk funktekk is offline
Registered User
Location: South Carolina
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 70
Mein Auto: E63 & E46
I am still very unsure about this exhaust job.

the road home from the gym is a heavily policed 55mph.

as soon as I turned onto the road I hopped on the gas pedal and the noise produced is amazing and beautiful at the same time. under full throttle with a muffler it produces an amazing sound.

after jamming it up to speed I locked in the cruise control at 65. There is a definite audible note at this speed. it's not harsh, but it isn't the quiet as air cruise that comes with the stock setup.

an interesting thing was that it seems to mellow out even more around 70. this was all in 6th gear.

one good note is this will definitely lead to better fuel economy because I am a lot lighter on the throttle thanks to the audio response.

also I have been rolling out of the throttle whenever I see a officer of the law. I want to get my wife to cruise it around the block so I can hear the volume outside the car.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 06-01-2011, 08:06 PM
JPEG23 JPEG23 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Wichita, KS
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 555
Mein Auto: E63
Quote:
Originally Posted by funktekk View Post
I am still very unsure about this exhaust job.

the road home from the gym is a heavily policed 55mph.

as soon as I turned onto the road I hopped on the gas pedal and the noise produced is amazing and beautiful at the same time. under full throttle with a muffler it produces an amazing sound.

after jamming it up to speed I locked in the cruise control at 65. There is a definite audible note at this speed. it's not harsh, but it isn't the quiet as air cruise that comes with the stock setup.

an interesting thing was that it seems to mellow out even more around 70. this was all in 6th gear.

one good note is this will definitely lead to better fuel economy because I am a lot lighter on the throttle thanks to the audio response.

also I have been rolling out of the throttle whenever I see a officer of the law. I want to get my wife to cruise it around the block so I can hear the volume outside the car.
Record vids when she drives it, have her do a few drive-bys at normal cruise rpm and a few WOT passes...this will be really good for everyone


Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
__________________
6 series - Sapphire Black w/ 22" Beyern Mesh wheels
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 06-01-2011, 10:10 PM
White Drop Top White Drop Top is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Portland, Or
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 269
Mein Auto: 2008 650i convertible
Removing the resonators will cost only about $100-$200 and that includes and xpipe installed. With mufflers it is not close to illeagle or too loud even for those who want it just a little louder. With the x pipe it will not drone or be bothersome. If you do not like it after pay $100 to switch it back. Total cost around $300...Not huge $$$

I have had 600+hp cars with no cats, straght piped to an after market exaught system. It would almost shatter glass. Frinking loved that Murci!!! That said you can drive any loud car at low RPM's when you need to and keep her plenty quite.

Friday I remove all and have magnoflow mufflers already I will then try and post a video

get off the side lines everyone who is debating and go for it. I assure you will not regret it
__________________

Current cars 2008 650i Convertible full tint, 22' wheels magnoflow 2007 Range Rover HSE supercharged

Past Cars/Glory Days
02 lambo Murcielago
06 Bentley CGT
06 Merc CLS 550
07 Ferrari F430
06 Ferrari F430 Spider
06 Lambo Gallardo
05 Lambo Gallardo
04 Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale
01 Ferrari 360 spider
05 Audi S6
02 Porsche targa S
99 Ferrari 360
91 Ferrari 348TS
99 Hummer H1 soft top
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 06-02-2011, 04:26 AM
funktekk funktekk is offline
Registered User
Location: South Carolina
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 70
Mein Auto: E63 & E46
WDT touched on something that I should confess to...

I have been a 3 series guy before the purchase of the 6th and never did any exhaust work to them, so I've never really spent extended periods of time with a louder than stock car. I am hoping it will grow on me.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 06-02-2011, 04:28 AM
funktekk funktekk is offline
Registered User
Location: South Carolina
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 70
Mein Auto: E63 & E46
can someone please explain what is meant by "drone".

does this just mean you can hear the engine, or is it different?
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 06-02-2011, 05:44 AM
funktekk funktekk is offline
Registered User
Location: South Carolina
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 70
Mein Auto: E63 & E46
I am going to call and see about taking it back to stock. it is just too much for me.

IMO the exhaust note no longer matches the appearance of the car.

The thing that I realized through this endeavor is that for me the 6er is a sporty luxury car. By fooling with the exhaust I tried to swing the balance the other way, making I a luxurious sports car and it just didn't work. to me it ended up feeling cheap and less refined.

oh well... it's only money.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 06-02-2011, 07:10 AM
JPEG23 JPEG23 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Wichita, KS
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 555
Mein Auto: E63
Quote:
Originally Posted by funktekk View Post
I am going to call and see about taking it back to stock. it is just too much for me.

IMO the exhaust note no longer matches the appearance of the car.

The thing that I realized through this endeavor is that for me the 6er is a sporty luxury car. By fooling with the exhaust I tried to swing the balance the other way, making I a luxurious sports car and it just didn't work. to me it ended up feeling cheap and less refined.

oh well... it's only money.
Drone is exhaust humming and typically seen at around 2k-2500 rpm...before you get them taken off have someone else drive your car by a few times and record it, and also record you revving it, please


Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
__________________
6 series - Sapphire Black w/ 22" Beyern Mesh wheels
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 06-02-2011, 07:18 AM
kevin07751 kevin07751 is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ, USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 48
Mein Auto: MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by funktekk View Post
I am going to call and see about taking it back to stock. it is just too much for me.

IMO the exhaust note no longer matches the appearance of the car.

The thing that I realized through this endeavor is that for me the 6er is a sporty luxury car. By fooling with the exhaust I tried to swing the balance the other way, making I a luxurious sports car and it just didn't work. to me it ended up feeling cheap and less refined.

oh well... it's only money.
Thanks very much for the feedback. I will reconsider my early decision.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 06-02-2011, 07:37 AM
White Drop Top White Drop Top is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Portland, Or
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 269
Mein Auto: 2008 650i convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by funktekk View Post
I am going to call and see about taking it back to stock. it is just too much for me.

IMO the exhaust note no longer matches the appearance of the car.

The thing that I realized through this endeavor is that for me the 6er is a sporty luxury car. By fooling with the exhaust I tried to swing the balance the other way, making I a luxurious sports car and it just didn't work. to me it ended up feeling cheap and less refined.

oh well... it's only money.
You make a very good point that these Sixers are not sports cars per say but a Gran Touring car. My intention is not to over mod my car to try and make it something other than she is not. I just prefer a little louder exhaust when I stand on it and some others may not.
__________________

Current cars 2008 650i Convertible full tint, 22' wheels magnoflow 2007 Range Rover HSE supercharged

Past Cars/Glory Days
02 lambo Murcielago
06 Bentley CGT
06 Merc CLS 550
07 Ferrari F430
06 Ferrari F430 Spider
06 Lambo Gallardo
05 Lambo Gallardo
04 Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale
01 Ferrari 360 spider
05 Audi S6
02 Porsche targa S
99 Ferrari 360
91 Ferrari 348TS
99 Hummer H1 soft top

Last edited by White Drop Top; 06-02-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 06-02-2011, 09:45 AM
funktekk funktekk is offline
Registered User
Location: South Carolina
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 70
Mein Auto: E63 & E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPEG23 View Post
Drone is exhaust humming and typically seen at around 2k-2500 rpm...before you get them taken off have someone else drive your car by a few times and record it, and also record you revving it, please


Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
the 2k humming is exactly what I got.

I don't know if I'll be able to get the drive by's but I'll definitely get some rev'ing.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 06-02-2011, 09:58 AM
JPEG23 JPEG23 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Wichita, KS
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 555
Mein Auto: E63
Quote:
Originally Posted by funktekk View Post
the 2k humming is exactly what I got.

I don't know if I'll be able to get the drive by's but I'll definitely get some rev'ing.
If you can't do drive bys maybe do some driving around while recording inside the car 30 seconds windows down 30 seconds windows up just cruise and some wot?

I'm trying to decide if I want to remove resonators and keep mufflers or remove mufflers and keep resonators but the lack of clips being posted by others makes it hard


Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
__________________
6 series - Sapphire Black w/ 22" Beyern Mesh wheels
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 06-02-2011, 11:42 AM
funktekk funktekk is offline
Registered User
Location: South Carolina
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 70
Mein Auto: E63 & E46
I will definitely do some in car recording on the way home.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 06-02-2011, 03:11 PM
funktekk funktekk is offline
Registered User
Location: South Carolina
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 70
Mein Auto: E63 & E46
ok here we go:

first up we have my exhaust note pre muffler delete.



then we have same parking spot same camera location after the delete.



then we have my daily stress reliever, a sweeping right going slightly up hill. testing the tires here usually washes all thoughts of work away. i only got it to 80 because I only had one hand on the wheel.



finally we have a WOT pass. I would have loved to keep it planted a little longer, but other cars come up quick when I put the left foot down.




what these videos don't capture well is the boomy low frequency this setup puts out. that frequency hurts my ears. not really the volume but just seems to resonate in my head and give me a headache.

I don't really have a problem with the volume. yes it is loud but that isnt necessarily bad. what bothers menus the low frequency and the burpiness.

it almost sounds like Harley underwater.

to me it doesn't sound "right". it sounds like a car in disrepair.

a set of aftermarket mufflers would probably polish it up without loosing all the edge, but I'm done messing with the exhaust. I'm going back to stock and trying not to feel stupid for doing this in the first place.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 06-02-2011, 03:26 PM
White Drop Top White Drop Top is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Portland, Or
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 269
Mein Auto: 2008 650i convertible
So to understand you took off the mufflers and replaced them with straight pipes out the back and left the resonators correct?

The car needs a muffler or I agree it sounds like crap.
__________________

Current cars 2008 650i Convertible full tint, 22' wheels magnoflow 2007 Range Rover HSE supercharged

Past Cars/Glory Days
02 lambo Murcielago
06 Bentley CGT
06 Merc CLS 550
07 Ferrari F430
06 Ferrari F430 Spider
06 Lambo Gallardo
05 Lambo Gallardo
04 Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale
01 Ferrari 360 spider
05 Audi S6
02 Porsche targa S
99 Ferrari 360
91 Ferrari 348TS
99 Hummer H1 soft top
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 06-02-2011, 03:39 PM
funktekk funktekk is offline
Registered User
Location: South Carolina
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 70
Mein Auto: E63 & E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Drop Top View Post
So to understand you took off the mufflers and replaced them with straight pipes out the back and left the resonators correct?
yep


Quote:
Originally Posted by White Drop Top View Post
The car needs a muffler or I agree it sounds like crap.
gee wiz, where were you three pages and $160 ago?!? (jk)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms