Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i GT
I suppose it's the theorum of an independent thinker and his vehicle. Do you want what the hoardes want or what moves you individually? For me, my life has revolved around cars. Perhaps it should have been the other way around, but from my earliest days watching my father completely tear down a flathead engine in the garage, through drag racing C Gassers, and Super Stock as well as plain old factory stock racers, I've always had some sort of automotive oddity in the garage. Some were absolutely stunning, some just god-awful fast and some just plain-jane looking that could take the newest Corvette or Jag and eat it for lunch. Sleepers they were called. We laughed at anything that didn't have at least 400 HP under the hood, many of us having had to pull home friends with Saab's, Volvo's and other assorted foreign cars of the period with the complex and temperamental carburetion systems. Yet the BMW marque was one that always seemed solid and unflappable.

Then came my love affair with the BMW's. Solid, beautifully built, a status symbol if you will. Driving into the parking garage with a new BMW said you had risen above the mundane. No matter the model, you joined an elite group, that suddenly recognized your impeccible taste in fine automobiles. It was not the price, rather the choice of make, that set you apart from the mainstream.

The GT is obviously an anomaly, one that BMWNA has failed to adequately market to the American public. In fact, looking at the commercials and print ads here in California, all I see are the 3 series pushed for lease ($379-399) and occasionally a 5 series lease. Oh, and I mustn't forget the splash that a 528 is enroute later on (may be here already?) for a lease payment of about $600 a month. Hmm. othing ever on the GT. Even the X6 is lost in the advertisers ink, although we do see more of them than the GT's.

If the GT doesn't continue as a production model, it would be a shame. One of the best values BMW has put on the market in years considering the platform, etc. As might be attributed to Detroit, when a better idea comes along, leave it to the manufacturer to somehow screw it up either in production or marketing and watch it languish! Maybe BMW is learning from the American automakers? That would be catastrophic!
Old 06-03-2011, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumforc View Post
I suppose it's the theorum of an independent thinker and his vehicle. Do you want what the hoardes want or what moves you individually? For me, my life has revolved around cars. Perhaps it should have been the other way around, but from my earliest days watching my father completely tear down a flathead engine in the garage, through drag racing C Gassers, and Super Stock as well as plain old factory stock racers, I've always had some sort of automotive oddity in the garage. Some were absolutely stunning, some just god-awful fast and some just plain-jane looking that could take the newest Corvette or Jag and eat it for lunch. Sleepers they were called. We laughed at anything that didn't have at least 400 HP under the hood, many of us having had to pull home friends with Saab's, Volvo's and other assorted foreign cars of the period with the complex and temperamental carburetion systems. Yet the BMW marque was one that always seemed solid and unflappable.

Then came my love affair with the BMW's. Solid, beautifully built, a status symbol if you will. Driving into the parking garage with a new BMW said you had risen above the mundane. No matter the model, you joined an elite group, that suddenly recognized your impeccible taste in fine automobiles. It was not the price, rather the choice of make, that set you apart from the mainstream.

The GT is obviously an anomaly, one that BMWNA has failed to adequately market to the American public. In fact, looking at the commercials and print ads here in California, all I see are the 3 series pushed for lease ($379-399) and occasionally a 5 series lease. Oh, and I mustn't forget the splash that a 528 is enroute later on (may be here already?) for a lease payment of about $600 a month. Hmm. othing ever on the GT. Even the X6 is lost in the advertisers ink, although we do see more of them than the GT's.

If the GT doesn't continue as a production model, it would be a shame. One of the best values BMW has put on the market in years considering the platform, etc. As might be attributed to Detroit, when a better idea comes along, leave it to the manufacturer to somehow screw it up either in production or marketing and watch it languish! Maybe BMW is learning from the American automakers? That would be catastrophic!

I concur you speak the truth

In addition to all of the inherent qualities of the GT, I really love the sleeper effect - especially now

If the GT is discontinued it would most assuredly be for the North American market only. It would only to serve to make this rare car even rarer - and I am totally okay with this. That being said, if you notice it appears more people are coming online with recent GT delivery's.

I may be one of the few - outside of seeing the GT at a car show - who ordered a GT with total confidence, and 'WITHOUT" a test drive. Quite simply I knew I would like the car.
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Old 06-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumforc View Post

Is the problem with BMW or with BMWNA?

BMW has a history of experimentation especially regarding new design concepts that have created their own discrete niche market segments, and have often been copied by competitors in the past. BMW created a stunning product in the 5GT that is truly in a class by itself – a good marketer’s dream. In turn, BMWNA has done a very poor job defining the GT concept to both dealers and consumers. My dealer, who does substantial volume, did not understand the car – I had to take the lead role in the sale -a surreal experience. Even on forums like Bimmerfest – confusion and misinformation rule.

As I previously stated, if I were BMW I would be furious. BMW spent a bunch of money to create a new ground breaking niche product. Moreover, BMW is deep in the development of new variations – 3GT and 1GT. Within this context, the CEO of BMWNA tells BMW that they should not have dropped the Touring and that the GT is hurting F/01 sales. HELLO – the 5 GT is not a touring – if you were BMW would you want the GT to be a Touring substitute – given the Touring could only manage less than 1000 units a year. No - the GT is a brilliant product that has the capacity to define its own niche – BMW sees it – I see it - but BMWNA offers inane non-sequitur excuses instead of doing their job – that is – marketing BMWs in NA.

venting…..
Old 06-03-2011, 04:53 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
... given the Touring could only manage less than 1000 units a year.
Yeah, less than 1000 cars sold in the USA in the last year of production of the E61 platform as a single variant only. The E61 has only been sold in the US as single variant (six cylinder AWD) and the US sales peaked at 2350. With four variants it would have be reasonable for BMWNA to expect 8,000 units per year with a fresh new platform like the F11. Of course there's a history unimpressive wagon sales in the US in recent years, so it would then be reasonable for a revolutionary vehicle to make a measely 8,000 sale per year. BMW had what I thought was an impressive advertising campaign when the GT was introduced. There was enough buzz that even my wife thought she had to check it out. So, the GT is now selling four variants in the US with a fresh platform, but only managed 2840, or 710 cars per variant. I thnk there is dissappointment on BMW NA's behalf, but I'm not sure if the sales are so low that they would stop importing the GT. Think about it, the six series has never had huge sales numbers, but no one is worried at the six going away.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 06-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-fan View Post
I may be one of the few ... who ordered a GT with total confidence, and 'WITHOUT" a test drive....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Car-Fan Bat Signal.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	280607  
Old 06-03-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
LMAO

I think all of the other German makes have more aggressive marketing campaigns than BMW - then again I guess you can say "collectively" VAG comes to mind - they are larger too. Audi's new commercial with BMW drivers pulling up next to the car carrier full of Audis - and climbing aboard is hilarious. I have to give credit where credit is due.

The only time I really saw any GT commercials - and I can count on one hand the number that I saw them - was around late January 2010 - close to Superbowl time.

I guess perhaps BMW marketing strategists feel the GT is a low volume vehicle so why spend the marketing dollars on it, when we can spend the bounty on X3's and 3 Series cars. Even the F10 is a rare site on the tube

Now that I think about it, outside of dealer sponsored spots - I don't see any MINI commercials either. However, there appear to be no such sales quandaries in MINI's NA lineup, new Country Man included.
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)

Last edited by car-fan; 06-03-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
I thnk there is dissappointment on BMW NA's behalf, but I'm not sure if the sales are so low that they would stop importing the GT. Think about it, the six series has never had huge sales numbers, but no one is worried at the six going away.
I agree the E63/E64 6 Series never sold in large numbers especially the coupe.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:03 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-fan View Post
LMAO

Now that I think about it, outside of dealer sponsored spots - I don't see any MINI commercials either. However, there appear to be no such sales quandaries in MINI's NA lineup, new Country Man included.
The Mini Countryman is a stretch (literally and figuratively) but still easily understood conceptually. Moreover, small cars, in general, rule now.

The GT is a new type of vehicle that does not fit any established marketing niche. Moreover, the GT was being introduced into a market that not only did not understand nor appreciate the idea of a luxury 5 door but also was hostile to the concept. The GT is a new luxury 5 door endowed with very special DNA that potentially has the right stuff to create a new market segment and blaze the trail for future GT offerings. The GT could be the poster child for marketing conceptually. BMWNA's lack of commitment to market the GT is a lost opportunity and questionable frugality given the BMW's investment in the GT concept.

Last edited by Capobranco; 06-04-2011 at 06:08 AM.