Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 06-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i ** 2002 325ci
"Tip-In" and "Initial Acceleration" problems fixed

I have several updates to provide everyone after picking up my 2011 535i Dec 2010 build back yesterday from local NC BMW dealer. the first is the well publicized "tip in" or "initial acceleration" issue. i was expeceriing the same as many others where if you are a c complete stop and you go to accelerate the car doesnt respond right away and you naturally apply more gas and then the car jumps ahead of you. but if you were to move to the D/S position, the car was perfect and you didnt experience any lag in acceleration...it was almost like the car was set to start off in 2nd gear vs 1st

well i am happy to report the sw patch applied has completely corrected the issue...now this is a tricky one as your local BMW will not have this sw at their site. My SA luckily had heard of this issue and had to escalate to BMW-NA to obtain the fix. according to SA, BMW-NA are the only ones that can remote into car and apply the fix....

notes from my paperwork show the following: "DME Software Calibration SIB 12 09 11, attempted to program but CID failed to program. Completed battery reset and switched ICOM's, CID failed' Submitted PUMA CASE #xxxx Completed I-RAP programming session"

Software fix took almost two days to apply but happy to report that it has completely fixed the issue and the acceleration has returned!!!!
Ads by Google
Old 06-02-2011, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 E550 Sedan
That's good to hear, but it's kind of sad that you and the dealership have to go through that much trouble to fix something so basic. It's 2011. You kind of expect a car, even a $12,000 Hyundai, to accelerate smoothly when you step on the gas.

Hopefully, it's not just a temporary fix. Let us know if the problem comes back.
2011 328i Convert
2012 E550 4Matic
Old 06-02-2011, 05:55 PM
In the Pipe, 5 by 5.

Mein Auto: 2011 535 X , 2012 35i X3
My dealer also looked up the necessary SW fix and informed me that it would take 5-6 hours to perform the work. I'm quite surprised that it took 2 days. That would certainly not meet my expectations. I also am experiencing the acceleration lag and plan to bring the bimmer in, but will be pissed if it takes 2 days. Dealer is 110 miles from home and it would require an overnight stay.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbmw View Post
My dealer also looked up the necessary SW fix and informed me that it would take 5-6 hours to perform the work. I'm quite surprised that it took 2 days. That would certainly not meet my expectations. I also am experiencing the acceleration lag and plan to bring the bimmer in, but will be pissed if it takes 2 days. Dealer is 110 miles from home and it would require an overnight stay.
It takes a long, long time to load the software. 5-6 hours is typical. And if it doesn't "take" or something interrupts it, well, you have to try again.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 06-02-2011, 06:00 PM

wow that really sucks...yea mine took 2 days as i had several software patches applied...i had the tip in issue which was one sw patch, i had the pull to right issue which was another patch, my car was still set in "transport mode" from shipping which was causing my "service due" for an oil change to read due in 4,900 miles when i only have 1,500 on a brand new car..plus a state of NC inspection...according to SA, the software load was a day and a half since one of the updates required BMW-NA to perform
Old 06-02-2011, 06:07 PM

Mein Auto: 650i convertible
Im confused. Is it sib 12 9 11 or another program ? I complained to my dealer about the same issue, they programmed the car with Sib 12 9 11 and so far it is 90% better. Jerkiness is gone. Still some slight throttle tip in issues though. If there is a more recent update i will call them back to install that software version. I was actually going to post about sib 12 9 11 but i wanted to wait a a few weeks to make sure that the problem did not return. So far I a m much happier. Even my wife noticed it.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:14 PM

acorrding to my paperwork, it is the SIB 12 09 11 but my car failed to take it several times and they switched "ICOM's"?? ( i have no clue what that is) then my SA escalated to BMW-NA and submitted a "PUMA Case" (assuming that is BMW's internal definition of an escalated trouble ticket). BMW-NA then had to remotely connect to my car while connected online at the local BMW dealer to perform the update. Again according to my SA, this update is only available through BMW-NA and not the local dealer. for some reason the local dealer can only update to a certain software revision and anything above that requires BMW-NA to perform the work...i know how strange it sounds but that is what is printed on my paperwork and exactly what my SA told me several times..after 2 days, the car is 100% better and reacts totally different than before
Old 06-02-2011, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: 650i convertible
So if it is above sib i should be okay i hope.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:25 PM

Hmmm, interesting. I complained about this and they did an overall software load and hoped to fix it that way. However, it's still there, even after resetting all the adaptive parameters. Next service, I will have them look at this.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 06-02-2011, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
So do you suppose its safe to assume BMW NA is auto-updating (or just installing in the first place) the SW version that eliminates this problem? I noticed this in two of the three cars I test drove and I just about turned me off buying....but I'm crossing my fingers that the car I ordered comes with the most recent updates already installed.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:21 PM

Imothph...well i hope so, if you just ordered one, i would "assume" that BMW is installing the latest SW the first time around. but you know how that goes....at least i can say that it is 100% fixed and is a different car now...
Old 06-02-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Hmmm, interesting. I complained about this and they did an overall software load and hoped to fix it that way. However, it's still there, even after resetting all the adaptive parameters. Next service, I will have them look at this.
yea let me know, like i said, my SA said that only BMW-NA can install this software fix, NOT the local dealer, so if they are just reapplying the software fix that they have, it will not work..apparently BMW-NA is the gatekeeper if you will of this sw and they are the only ones that will install it....
Old 06-02-2011, 11:15 PM
Fight On!

Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
5-6 hours? Do they have a 56k baud modem between the machine and the car?

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 06-03-2011, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Hmmm I will have to call my service dept.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
UNCtarheels: Does this include a fix for the hesitation when coasting down to say, between 30 and 20 and you step on it and for about 2 seconds it does nothing until it decides to down-shift and go like hell?
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 06-04-2011, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 528i
Is this issue strictly related to the turbo engines, or could this also be applicable to the naturally aspirated engine as well. Mine (528i) also seems to lag a bit on initial acceleration. It seems a tad lazy starting from a stop. In sport mode, however, there is no lag or laziness whatsoever. Just wondering if it's something that needs to be adressed on my particular model.
2011 BMW 528i- Black Saphire Metallic, Black Leather, Prem. Package, Prem. Package 2, Convenience Package, Cold Weather Package, Sport Package,Sport Auto Trans, Anthracite Wood & Headliner, Xenon Lights, Split Fold-down Seats.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeofrosty View Post
. Mine (528i) also seems to lag a bit on initial acceleration. It seems a tad lazy starting from a stop. In sport mode, however, there is no lag or laziness whatsoever. .
I am a bit surprised that non-turbo engine has the same lag. Look like this is a new feature that we all need to train our feet to get used to it.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovers535xi View Post
I am a bit surprised that non-turbo engine has the same lag. Look like this is a new feature that we all need to train our feet to get used to it.
Only from a dead stop. Not really bad, but somewhat noticeable. No lag after it's moving, like passing. Don't know how to explain it....seems pedal has to be pressed more than it should before getting an immediate throttle response. Like a small dead spot, I suppose. Only in normal mode. No lag in sport mode. Response is immediate.
2011 BMW 528i- Black Saphire Metallic, Black Leather, Prem. Package, Prem. Package 2, Convenience Package, Cold Weather Package, Sport Package,Sport Auto Trans, Anthracite Wood & Headliner, Xenon Lights, Split Fold-down Seats.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Is this issue strictly related to the turbo engines, or could this also be applicable to the naturally aspirated engine as well. Mine (528i) also seems to lag a bit on initial acceleration. It seems a tad lazy starting from a stop. In sport mode, however, there is no lag or laziness whatsoever. Just wondering if it's something that needs to be adressed on my particular model.
Edmunds Inside Line has noted the same issue with their long term 528 as well. Its not the turbo, its the throttle and transmission programming. Its not related to actual engine power at all. .

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

Old 06-06-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
UNCtarheels: Does this include a fix for the hesitation when coasting down to say, between 30 and 20 and you step on it and for about 2 seconds it does nothing until it decides to down-shift and go like hell?
yes it fixed it for me and while at a stop
Old 06-06-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Only from a dead stop. Not really bad, but somewhat noticeable. No lag after it's moving, like passing. Don't know how to explain it....seems pedal has to be pressed more than it should before getting an immediate throttle response. Like a small dead spot, I suppose. Only in normal mode. No lag in sport mode. Response is immediate.
those were the same issues that i had and this new program corrected it!! i would definitly mention to your SA
Old 06-06-2011, 09:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
Thanks - this is really great information and I've already passed this to my SA. I will hear something this week.
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 06-07-2011, 12:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Hey I got my first BMW(2005 545i), so I really don't know a lot but how much would this cost to do at dealer since car is under no warranty?
Old 06-07-2011, 04:40 AM
Qualityhound

Mein Auto: 2011 535Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovers535xi View Post
My 600-mile experience with a 528 loaner was "long pedal travel", almost like previous diesels I've driven. I think the programming is totally about hitting BMW's mpg target.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
I am gonna take my car in this week. Will dealer know what I'm talking about? Guessing no.