Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:30 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
WOW downhiller I just looked at your garage and your car has 313,000 miles on it and looks amazing! Mine has 190,000 miles on it and I know there's still a lot of life in it and many more miles to enjoy driving it! Seeing your car with 313,000 miles and how great it looks just confirms my wishes for my car!! Thanks for posting the photo!!
had 329k one it when i traded it beginning of 09. i miss it.

but to help you out to see if that guy is right do steves fan clutch trick. get it to op temp then try and stop it with a roll of news papers. if it stops its bad, if it shreds its something else.

but on another side note, start looking at a electric fan conversion kit. for $60 for sensors and relays and $80 for a fan, you can gain hp and have a better cooling ability at low speeds/stop n go traffic
Old 03-08-2011, 11:10 PM

Mein Auto: 1988 325i
Hey Swiss are you having a argument with your wife tonight? Take it out on her and not me Dude! And check it out Swiss I NEVER, you get that SWISS?! I NEVER had an issue with the upper hose getting clipped by the fan UNTIL, get that Swiss? NO? I'll say it once again to you dude! I NEVER had an issue with my car that the upper hose was getting clipped by the fan UNTIL, DID you GET THAT THIS TIME SWISS?? NO? I'll say it once again! UNTIL? Do you know what UNTIL means Swiss? UNTIL This mechanic put in the new hose and radiator fan...Did you get that?!! NO?!! I'll say it ONCE again to you Dude, NO PROBLEMS OF THE FAN CUTTING INTO THE UPPER HOSE UNTIL the mechanic put in the new hose and radiator fan! UNTIL translates to, till it happens SWISS. TWELVE YEARS I HAD NO PROBLEM with the hose getting clipped by the radiator fan! I really don't know if you got that yet SWISS?!! And one more thing, now read this slowly so you get it SWISS, your statement about "Every e30 I have ever seen had a zip tie to the engine lift hole, or was shaved by the fan" THAT STATEMENT BY YOU MISS, SORRY I MEANT SWISS DOESN'T MEAN S H I T TO ME!, Know why SWISS because I had the car for 12 years and my car NEVER, get that, NEVER had an issue with with the upper bypass hose getting clipped by the fan, AND it wasn't tied off. Do you know what 'wasn't tied off means? No? It means it wasn't tied up. So I guess in you seeing all the e30's, you didn't really see all of them. Guess that one got by you! Just made SWISS CHEESE out of your argument SWISS with every e30 hose tied up! Guess you don't know EVERYTHING! And on a scale of one to 10 on you BELIEVING that you are Jesus Christ incarnate, who knows everything and just came down off the cross and is going to save all of mankind's car with his superior knowledge about cars you rate a MINUS ONE- a little worse then a Zero. So from now on you want to act like you are thee superior car honcho to me who craves and needs to insult me, count to 10 and pass me on by. I don't need your insults or your 2 cents about what you think is wrong with my car OR me dude. Give them to someone else, Got that? NO?? I'll say it again PASS ON BY MY COMMENTS, I WON'T FEEL BAD IF YOU DO! NOT EVEN ONE BIT! WONT EVEN MISS THEM! GOT THAT??! OK, SO I'LL SAY IT AGAIN IF IT DIDN'T SINK IN YET, PASS ON BY MY COMMENTS- IF YOU HAVE TO ACT LIKE SOME A-HOLE THROWING YOUR INSULTS AT ME DUDE. LET ME GET CLEAR WITH YOU DUDE IN CASE YOU HAVEN'T GOTTEN IT YET- YOU'RE BARKING UP THE WRONG TREE! Now I'm done with you Batman, go try to P I S S on someone else dude!

Last edited by Youngblood; 03-09-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:15 PM

Thanks downhiller, You really know alot about cars and I'm really appreciative for your great insights! You know so much more then looking at a cars headlights and knowing which way they're going, I'll tell you!! If you ever make it out to L.A. let me know and I'll buy you a beer or 2 or 3!
Old 03-08-2011, 11:50 PM

@ eieio4tn. You may be right about small claims might not do anything for you! One time, about 5 years ago, I brought my car to another BMW mechanic then the one I'm dealing with now because it wasn't passing smog and he charged me $800.00 to fix it to pass smog! When the car was done by the mechanic, he gave me the bill, I paid him the $800, I took my car immediately to a smog check after I picked it up and guess what? It didn't pass smog! Back I go to the BMW mechanic and he said he didn't do smog, whatever the hell that meant, and I said why didn't you say that before you charged me $800, what's up with that!? I told you I wanted it fixed to pass smog, that was my point in bringing it in to you. To pass smog to get it registered so I can continue to drive it! He didn't fix it to pass smog or give me any of my money back. I didn't know what to do and driving back home I remember seeing in my smog docs. from the DMV a note included with the docs that the DMV has an office if you had a complaint against a mechanic. So I wrote up my complaint and sent it in their office and got a phone call from that office inside of 2 weeks and the man who called me from that California Gov. office asked me a lot of questions, asked me if he could record it, and I gave him what he wanted and thought that was that, nothing is going to come out of it. One week later I get another call from this office and the guy told me he went down to the BMW mechanics shop and showed the mechanic the complaint from me, quizzed him on what happened, asked him why he didn't fix it to pass smog and long story short he got my $800 back from the mechanic ( the guy called me up and asked me if I wanted to go and pick up the check from the mechanic or him pick it up and mail it to me, I had him pick it up and mail it to me since I was done with that mechanic by then) and on top of that, this guy gave the mechanic some fines that he saw at the shop while he was there. So if this isn't settled and I keep on getting charged for the problems now I'm having that are being caused by I feel this mechanic and it's still not fixed and is running poorly when b4 he fixed?? it , my car was running primo, well then, I'm going that route again and file a complaint with the Gov. Office! Amen

Last edited by Youngblood; 03-09-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:37 AM

Downhiller too bad about selling your car and now missing it! I know exactly what you mean. I honestly love my car and get lots of compliments on it from people who come up to me when I park it or drive next to me while I'm at a stop light and ask me what year it is and tell me that they like the styling much better then the new ones. I actually love my car and try to keep it running smoothly and looking good! A mechanic once told me "keep your car clean and looking good because your car will know it and treat you right. I remember my first wife was an amazing American Indian woman. Diane use to tell me one of her peoples beliefs was, that ALL things have a spirit. So when the mechanic told me that I reflected back to my wife's statement. By the way I have a 1987, built in the last month of 87, a 325I Convertible. White body and black convertible top and red interior. My plans are to get it in showroom condition inside and out. I love driving it, the engine is not tired out one bit and handles beautifully on the freeways. I have had it since 96 and I love it today just as much as I did the first day I bought it! Thanks again for all the help downhiller, I truly appreciate it!

Last edited by Youngblood; 03-09-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:40 PM
On Top

Send a message via AIM to SWISS Send a message via Yahoo to SWISS
Mein Auto: E30 S52 / S52 M roady

Old 03-09-2011, 06:59 PM
BMW...riceless

Mein Auto: 1987 325is
amen
Old 03-09-2011, 08:57 PM
East Bound And Down

Send a message via AIM to noexceptions325
Mein Auto: 325e,Jeep,240z,528i
YOUNGBLOOD, you seem nice but

Built 325e too much to list, Heavily modified Jeep, Datsun about to get a 351, and now a 528i

Last edited by noexceptions325; 03-09-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:28 AM

@noexceptions325, real easy solution for you buddy, take 2 aspirins and don't listen to my post. Hope your brain feels better after that!
Old 06-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E30 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWISS View Post
The upper bypass hose getting clipped by the fan is an issue with all e30's Every one I have ever seen had a zip tie to the engine lift hole, or was shaved by the fan.
I didn't know these cars had that issue. I just pulled my thermostat to make sure it was working. Attempted to find a leak hole on my water pump. But as soon as I started the car and refilled with coolant I saw fluid squirting onto my fan. Hopefully a new hose and zip tie will resolve all of my cooling issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110607_153736.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	280978  
Old 06-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWISS View Post
A. You don't know jack about cars.
B. You probably pissed off the mechanic by insulting him.

this is why i don't wrench on peoples cars anymore...

so tired with this mentality of people...

we once were sued and lost to a lady, who was completely gods honest truth lie'n thru her teeth..

the fact that the stupid bizztch brought some inbred back yard mechanic to say "yea she didn't need the distributor" was enough for the judge to rule in her favor for more money then she paid in the first place...

guess the fact that the car comes on a roll back and leaves running doesn't count.... this is all bringing back some old nightmare type s h i t ....

(burning2nd can be seen running away)

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"