Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-07-2011, 11:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
BMW Washer Fluid Sucks!

Whatís up with the windshield washer fluid that BMW uses? Every time you spray your windshield itís like squirting soap that doesn't dry all over the place including the back window if you are at speed. Once it dryís the entire back window is coated with soapy water spots. I canít wait until my washer tank is empty. Funny part is the CSR manager where I work has the same issue with her new Bimmer. OK 3 months of ownership and only one rant.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2011, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
In 38 months of ownership, I've never had an issue with the washer fluid the dealership puts in my car. And I use it a lot, +45" of rain in 8 months this season alone...
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Old 06-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarySL View Post
In 38 months of ownership, I've never had an issue with the washer fluid the dealership puts in my car. And I use it a lot, +45" of rain in 8 months this season alone...
I'd second that. Seems like any ole washer fluid to me, though BMW says it is, indeed, specially formulated. Oooooh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 06-07-2011, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 Imola Red E39 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
Whatís up with the windshield washer fluid that BMW uses? Every time you spray your windshield itís like squirting soap that doesn't dry all over the place including the back window if you are at speed. Once it dryís the entire back window is coated with soapy water spots. I canít wait until my washer tank is empty. Funny part is the CSR manager where I work has the same issue with her new Bimmer. OK 3 months of ownership and only one rant.
its so cheap that you should just buy a gallon at your local autostore and store it in your garage..
Old 06-07-2011, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by "S62" View Post
its so cheap that you should just buy a gallon at your local autostore and store it in your garage..
It's about time to add for my car. So can I just buy a blue washer fluid from Target to use my 328i then?

'11 328i E90 A/T | Alpine White | Premium package | Value Package
'10 SS/BLACK MCS A/T | Sport Package | Comfort Access | Bluetooth and USB/iPod Adapter
'08 PW/BLACK MCS M/T (retired)
Old 06-07-2011, 01:10 PM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
I only use BMW branded washer fluid.

Just kidding. Yes you can use the washer fluid from target and gas stations
Old 06-07-2011, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
I've always found the BMW branded fluid to be superior to the stuff you find in gallon jugs - and it has a much better smell. As it comes in a concentrated form, perhaps the OP's dealer hasn't been mixing it properly.

Tom
Old 06-07-2011, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 Imola Red E39 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by zemina View Post
It's about time to add for my car. So can I just buy a blue washer fluid from Target to use my 328i then?
Yep thats completely fine, BMW just overprices all of their fluid as usuall.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:35 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by zemina View Post
I've got both the green and orange RainX fluids from Autozone, they are about $3 each for the very large jugs. I don't really need them though, because when my windshield gets a bit dirty, I'll just use Sprayway directly into a microfiber meant for glass when I get home.

OTOH, I use BMW coolant and BMW motor oil. I haven't been faced with other fluid decisions yet.

Last edited by Ilovemycar; 06-07-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
I've always found the BMW branded fluid to be superior to the stuff you find in gallon jugs - and it has a much better smell. As it comes in a concentrated form, perhaps the OP's dealer hasn't been mixing it properly.

Tom
You make a great point about being concentrated. That's exactly what it looks like. It is weird that two people with the same car from two different dealers would have the same issue. Every time the overspray hits the back window it drys spotty. The windshield is perfect because the wipers clean it off.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 06-07-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
You make a great point about being concentrated. That's exactly what it looks like. It is weird that two people with the same car from two different dealers would have the same issue. Every time the overspray hits the back window it drys spotty. The windshield is perfect because the wipers clean it off.
None of my BMWs have had an overspray problem. Back in the day, you could adjust the spray nozzle with a safety pin but I doubt that's possible now, so perhaps your dealer can do the adjustment.

Tom
Old 06-07-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
None of my BMWs have had an overspray problem. Back in the day, you could adjust the spray nozzle with a safety pin but I doubt that's possible now, so perhaps your dealer can do the adjustment.

Tom
Only happens at speed. Guess it is the aerodynamics of the car. Sitting still it hits the windshield only and is not an issue.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: X3
My wiper fluid lasts about 8-10 years. I rarely use it. When I lived in snowy weather, I did use it more.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto: 5
It used to be better when it was pure isopropyl alcohol. Cleaned the windows and gets you high.

Now, I use this during the summer

I'd like to try this for the winter

but generally just use the blue stuff.

Last edited by pony_trekker; 06-07-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:22 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Have your washers adjusted so they don't spray over the roof. None of my 3 BMW's exhibit(ed) this annoying behavior. I can't stand driving behind some car when the guy starts washing the windshield non-stop and all the spray goes all over my hood.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 06-07-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Only happens at speed. Guess it is the aerodynamics of the car. Sitting still it hits the windshield only and is not an issue.
Ah, since I've owned 3 BMW 'verts, I'm trained not to use the washers at speed, unless my glasses also need cleaning!

Tom
Old 06-08-2011, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Windshield Washer Fluid MSDS

Aside from the cleaning issues, most windshield washer fluid is NASTY stuff. Keep it away from the kids and pets. Google: MSDS windshield washer fluid. You may be shocked at the information.
(MSDS = Material Safety Data Sheet). I was surprised how toxic it is (depending on formulation), and some forumulations seem to be bad for metal if I've read the MSDSs correctly. This convinced me to stick to BMW approved fluid.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 06-08-2011, 07:20 PM
tappa tappa toit

just go to a gas station, pay $3.19 for a gallon of washer fluid.

its perfectly fine for your car, your windows, your metal, your windshield.

obviously dont drink it, dont feed it to your kids, and dont feed it to your dog.

you know what else is poisonous? motor oil. coolant. too much salt. too much water. laundry detergent. too much alcohol. going out camping and getting bit by an infected tick. going out camping and drinking parasite infested waters.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mujjuman View Post
just go to a gas station, pay $3.19 for a gallon of washer fluid.

its perfectly fine for your car, your windows, your metal, your windshield.

obviously dont drink it, dont feed it to your kids, and dont feed it to your dog.

you know what else is poisonous? motor oil. coolant. too much salt. too much water. laundry detergent. too much alcohol. going out camping and getting bit by an infected tick. going out camping and drinking parasite infested waters.
So, you've checked the MSDS? I doubt it. Motor oil is sealed, not sprayed all over the car, nor do we soak our car in laundry detergent...nor do we drink pond water. Washer fluid and its vapors ARE inhaled by us, however. Where are you coming from? Certainly you've read about other automotive fluid hazards such as anti-freeze and its sweet taste to pets? It kills/poisons them (driveway spills). Why are you so dismissive of these hazards? TOO MUCH WATER? Give me a break.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 06-08-2011, 08:21 PM
tappa tappa toit

I'm saying that we are exposed to way more toxic things on a daily basis and most of us are fine... as long as we take precautions and not feed it to our kids and pets. Just because coolant is poisonous to my dogs, I'm not gonna not keep a couple gallons in my garage. Prolonged skin exposure to laundry detergent to our skin is not good either.

I feel like the whole "use bmw washer fluid only!" and "omg this stuff is poison!" is way over the top and everyone is making too big of a deal about which washer fluid to use. I understand if people want to stick to a certain brand of oil, but this is only washer fluid.

To make you happy, I googled MSDS Washer fluid and clicked the first link, which was to a pdf file to walmart's brand of washer fluid. The only hazardous ingredient listed is methanol (I figured it would be some kind of alcohol). Yes, methanol is toxic, and it can cause blindness and death. Drinking a small CONCENTRATED amount will attack the central nervous system and kill the patient. Btw, if they drink enough ethanol it will kill in the same manner. Many college and high school kids come close to this. Another way concentrated methanol will kill is through the metabolic pathway. It gets converted to formaldehyde, which is a embalming agent. The amount of methanol that is inhaled from evaporating washer fluid being sucked in via the vents is not enough to get someone blind, let alone die from it. It might make someone slightly high, which lasts for about 10 minutes max, but wont affect judgment or anything. The quick cure for methanol ingestion is drinking enough.... ethanol. Unless someone chugs this stuff out of the container, or somehow concentrates this stuff and inhales it because they are too poor to buy beer or smokes, or bathes in it because they cant afford soap, it is harmless.

Also if you note in that MSDS page, in Section 8 page 4:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSDS Windshield Washer Fluid - Supertech

Respiratory Protection: Under normal use conditions (outdoor windshield cleaning), respiratory protection is not justified.
This is why I dismissed those so-called hazards.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi Alpine White
Quote:
Back in the day, you could adjust the spray nozzle with a safety pin but I doubt that's possible now, so perhaps your dealer can do the adjustment.
On my recently purchased 328xi I've had an issue with the nozzles being aimed fairly high on the windshield, my rooftop gets a nice speckling of blue when I use the fluid. I called the dealer and he said they can still be adjusted with a safety pin. I'm nervous to try though, the heated nozzles on the winter package are $80 parts (plus labor) to fix.

Maybe I'll have them re-aimed next time im in. I'd hate to pay for something like this!
Old 06-08-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
I'm saying that we are exposed to way more toxic things on a daily basis and most of us are fine... as long as we take precautions and not feed it to our kids and pets. Just because coolant is poisonous to my dogs, I'm not gonna not keep a couple gallons in my garage. Prolonged skin exposure to laundry detergent to our skin is not good either.

I feel like the whole "use bmw washer fluid only!" and "omg this stuff is poison!" is way over the top and everyone is making too big of a deal about which washer fluid to use. I understand if people want to stick to a certain brand of oil, but this is only washer fluid.

To make you happy, I googled MSDS Washer fluid and clicked the first link, which was to a pdf file to walmart's brand of washer fluid. The only hazardous ingredient listed is methanol (I figured it would be some kind of alcohol). Yes, methanol is toxic, and it can cause blindness and death. Drinking a small CONCENTRATED amount will attack the central nervous system and kill the patient. Btw, if they drink enough ethanol it will kill in the same manner. Many college and high school kids come close to this. Another way concentrated methanol will kill is through the metabolic pathway. It gets converted to formaldehyde, which is a embalming agent. The amount of methanol that is inhaled from evaporating washer fluid being sucked in via the vents is not enough to get someone blind, let alone die from it. It might make someone slightly high, which lasts for about 10 minutes max, but wont affect judgment or anything. The quick cure for methanol ingestion is drinking enough.... ethanol. Unless someone chugs this stuff out of the container, or somehow concentrates this stuff and inhales it because they are too poor to buy beer or smokes, or bathes in it because they cant afford soap, it is harmless.

Also if you note in that MSDS page, in Section 8 page 4:

This is why I dismissed those so-called hazards.
Noted!
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 06-08-2011, 09:53 PM
tappa tappa toit

Old 06-09-2011, 06:02 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
It might make someone slightly high, which lasts for about 10 minutes max, but wont affect judgment or anything.
Just so you know, you had me at "make someone slightly high" and cinched it with "wont affect judgement". My pants are now down.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: '09 135i & '11 328xi SWgn
Quote:
- and it has a much better smell. As it comes in a concentrated form, perhaps the OP's dealer hasn't been mixing it properly.

Tom
I'm relieved to read that I'm not the only one who thinks BMW washer fluid smells great!