Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 8 Series - E31 (1989 - 1999)

8 Series - E31 (1989 - 1999)

Old 05-27-2010, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: Toyota
91 850 - Terminology question - Lights

Hello:

I can't find a manual for a 1991 BMW 850i, and the question is so simple that I don't want to spend money / time on buying one on-line.

The question is: Looking at the front of the vehicle, there are several sets of lights. There are the top lights, under the flip-up panels. The next set of lights, below the flip-ups, have a pair of rectangular lights that are on the outside, emitting "white" light.

What does the manual call these lower, outside lights? "Daylight running lights?" "Fog Lights?" "Other?"

It's not my car -- I need to know the terminology vis a vis interpretation of a driving law.

Thanks.

Mike
Ads by Google
Old 05-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Sick Puppy Motorwerks

Mein Auto: BMW 850Ci
The bumper lights are known as FTP's (Flash-to-Pass). They are NOT fog lights. Depending on which country version the car is "coded" for, you will have Daytime Running Lights or not. The FTP (BMW calls it an illumination tape) is basically the same for all cars.

The Flip-up lights are arranged as follows: furthest outnboard lights are low-beam,; the middle light is the fog-light and the furthest inboard is the high-beam.

White 1993 850Ci - 251,187 miles
Black 1993 850Ci - 125,508 miles
Old 06-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 740i
Texas that 8 looks as though it just came off the showroom floor.

Last edited by Route 66; 06-03-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:01 PM

Mein Auto: 1993 BMW 850ci
EML and Stealer

My '93 850ci is a SoCal car so I rarely need the heat blowing, but I would like to find out if the heater core is malfunctioning or if it could be another electrical issue.

When I say "another electrical issue" it is because I wresteled with EML issues for months, until I finally broke down and took the E31 to the Stealer. The technician was a master electical troubleshooter, and discovered a hose clamp had rubbed the wires from the engine compartment going into the instrument panel. The EML display light had a short that caused the car to experience perpetual (EML, Trans Prgm Failure, Check Engine...and other fun electrical gremlins).

The Stealer charged me $800 for the troubleshooting, but it was worth every penny. My independent guys were chasing their tails. I had even bought a spare EML ($100), and DK motors (2 for $200). I swapped out the DKs and the EML module, and that never helped.

When all else fails sometimes the Stealer with the factory diagnostic computer is the only way to go with the E31. Sorry for the electrical rant, but any thoughts on the no heater issue would be appreciated.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Sick Puppy Motorwerks

Mein Auto: BMW 850Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBahn View Post
...When all else fails sometimes the Stealer with the factory diagnostic computer is the only way to go with the E31...
Exactly the reason why I have my own BMW Diagnostic Computer setup - saves alot of second guessing.

White 1993 850Ci - 251,187 miles
Black 1993 850Ci - 125,508 miles