Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 06-08-2011, 07:39 PM
luker669 luker669 is offline
Registered User
Location: texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 24
Mein Auto: 2004 645 coupe Black
new exhaust

got it on today,,in the car it doesnt seem any louder with the door open you can hear the difference ..took some pics when i got home not the best since i had to lay on the ground to take them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0643.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	281092   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0640.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	281093  
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 06-08-2011, 07:41 PM
luker669 luker669 is offline
Registered User
Location: texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 24
Mein Auto: 2004 645 coupe Black
I have a sound video but not sure how to post it....tell me how and i would be happy to get it on here
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 06-08-2011, 08:04 PM
luker669 luker669 is offline
Registered User
Location: texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 24
Mein Auto: 2004 645 coupe Black
sound clip

I had him put the x-pipe around the middle ,I kinda like the old muscle car sound !!

Last edited by luker669; 06-09-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 06-08-2011, 08:10 PM
White Drop Top White Drop Top is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Portland, Or
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 269
Mein Auto: 2008 650i convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPEG23 View Post
Real quick rev up I'll get a better one tomorrow



I think I'm gonna go ahead and go with some aftermarket mufflers in a few weeks...the only thing I've decided is I'm doing straight through and no chambered


Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Yep mufflers will do the trick mine sounds so clean
__________________

Current cars 2008 650i Convertible full tint, 22' wheels magnoflow 2007 Range Rover HSE supercharged

Past Cars/Glory Days
02 lambo Murcielago
06 Bentley CGT
06 Merc CLS 550
07 Ferrari F430
06 Ferrari F430 Spider
06 Lambo Gallardo
05 Lambo Gallardo
04 Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale
01 Ferrari 360 spider
05 Audi S6
02 Porsche targa S
99 Ferrari 360
91 Ferrari 348TS
99 Hummer H1 soft top
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 06-08-2011, 08:22 PM
luker669 luker669 is offline
Registered User
Location: texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 24
Mein Auto: 2004 645 coupe Black
drop top does urs sound real different than mine ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by White Drop Top View Post
Yep mufflers will do the trick mine sounds so clean
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 06-08-2011, 08:28 PM
JPEG23 JPEG23 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Wichita, KS
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 556
Mein Auto: E63
Quote:
Originally Posted by luker669 View Post
drop top does urs sound real different than mine ?
I think our 3 sound almost identical with his being a bit louder...

WDT, You notice any drone or interior noise at all with the magnaflow mufflers?


Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
__________________
6 series - Sapphire Black w/ 22" Beyern Mesh wheels
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 06-08-2011, 08:34 PM
luker669 luker669 is offline
Registered User
Location: texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 24
Mein Auto: 2004 645 coupe Black
I forgot to hide my license plate ...u guys think i should pull the video or not worry about it ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by JPEG23 View Post
I think our 3 sound almost identical with his being a bit louder...

WDT, You notice any drone or interior noise at all with the magnaflow mufflers?


Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 06-08-2011, 08:57 PM
JPEG23 JPEG23 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Wichita, KS
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 556
Mein Auto: E63
Quote:
Originally Posted by luker669 View Post
I forgot to hide my license plate ...u guys think i should pull the video or not worry about it ?
Hundreds of people see your car/plate every day, and your not doing anything illegal, I don't see any issue. I never got why people hide them onlin.


Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
__________________
6 series - Sapphire Black w/ 22" Beyern Mesh wheels
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 06-08-2011, 09:50 PM
Yorgi's Avatar
Yorgi Yorgi is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,517
Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPEG23 View Post
Hundreds of people see your car/plate every day, and your not doing anything illegal, I don't see any issue. I never got why people hide them onlin.


Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Does not apply in this case, but if you were speeding or tracking your car it could affect insurance. I have heard stories of insurance companies paying photographers to take shots of cars at track days and they subsquently drop your coverage if they find out you were tracking your car. This is why most guys tape up their plates on the track.

The main reason I believe people block out plates is once someone has your plate they can easily identify you (ie look up where you live, check the lean on your car, etc...). No big deal but some people are paranoid.
__________________
Straight lines are for fast cars...turns are for fast drivers
'04 M3 - track
'06 650i Cab - daily driver
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 06-08-2011, 09:56 PM
eurowned eurowned is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco,CA
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 83
Send a message via AIM to eurowned
Mein Auto: 2009 audi r8 4.2 r-tronic
front resonator removed with straight pipe with muffler delete

its too loud for me i think.. i think i am going back to stock resonator...



__________________


current: 2009 Audi R8 V8 4.2 R-tronic

FS: Vertini Hennessey 20" staggered rims, ACS trunk spoiler, and Cobra radar detector

past cars:

2009 650I Convertible *Fully Loaded* - Imola Red w/ Beige Dakota leather - gone... and not missed
2006 S500 AMG package Black/Black MURDERED OUT - Sold
Reply With Quote
  #161  
Old 06-09-2011, 06:51 AM
White Drop Top White Drop Top is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Portland, Or
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 269
Mein Auto: 2008 650i convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by luker669 View Post
drop top does urs sound real different than mine ?
Hard to tell on video but mine sounds a little cleaner or not as raspy with the magnoflow's mufflers. No offense meant your sounds great.
__________________

Current cars 2008 650i Convertible full tint, 22' wheels magnoflow 2007 Range Rover HSE supercharged

Past Cars/Glory Days
02 lambo Murcielago
06 Bentley CGT
06 Merc CLS 550
07 Ferrari F430
06 Ferrari F430 Spider
06 Lambo Gallardo
05 Lambo Gallardo
04 Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale
01 Ferrari 360 spider
05 Audi S6
02 Porsche targa S
99 Ferrari 360
91 Ferrari 348TS
99 Hummer H1 soft top
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 06-09-2011, 08:34 AM
SHOWOUT_645 SHOWOUT_645 is offline
Registered User
Location: markham
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 88
Mein Auto: BMW 645CI
i have to retract my last statement, i was kinda mistaken on what droning was. My car has no droning sound, im gunna get a supersprint by the way. were a good place to get one??
also any suggestions on cold air intake, which brand should I go with??
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 06-09-2011, 08:50 AM
luker669 luker669 is offline
Registered User
Location: texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 24
Mein Auto: 2004 645 coupe Black
thats cool ..i kinda find mine a little raspy also ,thinking of going with some flowmasters


Quote:
Originally Posted by White Drop Top View Post
Hard to tell on video but mine sounds a little cleaner or not as raspy with the magnoflow's mufflers. No offense meant your sounds great.
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 06-09-2011, 11:43 AM
JPEG23 JPEG23 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Wichita, KS
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 556
Mein Auto: E63
WDT, do you have any cabin noise with the top up? I want to do some straight through mufflers but I do not want a loud car until I mash it...

Luker I would recommend straight through vs a chambered exhaust like flowmaster...but it may sound better, you'll never know without trying


Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
__________________
6 series - Sapphire Black w/ 22" Beyern Mesh wheels
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 06-09-2011, 07:00 PM
luker669 luker669 is offline
Registered User
Location: texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 24
Mein Auto: 2004 645 coupe Black
i dont want it to be loud
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 06-09-2011, 08:09 PM
White Drop Top White Drop Top is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Portland, Or
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 269
Mein Auto: 2008 650i convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPEG23 View Post
WDT, do you have any cabin noise with the top up? I want to do some straight through mufflers but I do not want a loud car until I mash it...




Luker I would recommend straight through vs a chambered exhaust like flowmaster...but it may sound better, you'll never know without trying


Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
No I have no loud sound inside with the top up. It can be driven normal to make it as quite as a church mouse. But when you mash it in sport mode ( which I do all day long) she sounds great.

NO DRONING of anykind
__________________

Current cars 2008 650i Convertible full tint, 22' wheels magnoflow 2007 Range Rover HSE supercharged

Past Cars/Glory Days
02 lambo Murcielago
06 Bentley CGT
06 Merc CLS 550
07 Ferrari F430
06 Ferrari F430 Spider
06 Lambo Gallardo
05 Lambo Gallardo
04 Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale
01 Ferrari 360 spider
05 Audi S6
02 Porsche targa S
99 Ferrari 360
91 Ferrari 348TS
99 Hummer H1 soft top
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 06-27-2011, 10:24 AM
clifton2137 clifton2137 is offline
CLIFTON2137
Location: Philadelphia
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: 2006 650i Coupe
650i exhaust mod

Hey guys, new to the forum. Just picked up an 06 650i and researching exhaust mods for my car. I see alot of you haven't come across a general mod that gives you the loud deep tone with less drone at higher speeds.

I am thinking of front (twin) resonator delete, x-pipe the 3rd resonator(box), and keep stock mufflers to see what it sounds like. I have gone through a few threads and have not found video of this mod, only straight through mods and magnaflow mods. If any of you have done the resonator delete/xpipe install please post some sounds clips!

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 06-27-2011, 10:37 AM
JPEG23 JPEG23 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Wichita, KS
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 556
Mein Auto: E63
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifton2137 View Post
Hey guys, new to the forum. Just picked up an 06 650i and researching exhaust mods for my car. I see alot of you haven't come across a general mod that gives you the loud deep tone with less drone at higher speeds.

I am thinking of front (twin) resonator delete, x-pipe the 3rd resonator(box), and keep stock mufflers to see what it sounds like. I have gone through a few threads and have not found video of this mod, only straight through mods and magnaflow mods. If any of you have done the resonator delete/xpipe install please post some sounds clips!

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.
Most of us don't want a tone that deep, but here is my setup(stock mufflers with all three resonators removed and x-pipe --as you said you wanted)






Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
__________________
6 series - Sapphire Black w/ 22" Beyern Mesh wheels
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 06-27-2011, 11:10 AM
clifton2137 clifton2137 is offline
CLIFTON2137
Location: Philadelphia
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: 2006 650i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPEG23 View Post
Most of us don't want a tone that deep, but here is my setup(stock mufflers with all three resonators removed and x-pipe --as you said you wanted)






Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sounds good, does it sound good at high speeds? and how is cabin noise when your cruising? too loud for conversation?

Is your X-pipe installed where the twin resonators were or where the 3rd resonator(box) was?

Does it make a difference between location? I read on here that H-pipe give it a muscle sound. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 06-27-2011, 11:15 AM
JPEG23 JPEG23 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Wichita, KS
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 556
Mein Auto: E63
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifton2137 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply.

Sounds good, does it sound good at high speeds? and how is cabin noise when your cruising? too loud for conversation?

Is your X-pipe installed where the twin resonators were or where the 3rd resonator(box) was?

Does it make a difference between location? I read on here that H-pipe give it a muscle sound. Thanks again.
Their is absolutely no interior noise at any speed and no one would assume this isn't how the car was suppose to sound. Overall - very clean and OEM sound, maybe 10-15% louder than the whisper quite stock setup but at full throttle from the outside it sounds a lot more exotic and high-revving. My x-pipe was installed where the front two resonators were and for better flow the shop used a step up 3" x-pipe(meaning it steps to 3" then back down to 2.25").

H-pipes generally do make deeper sound but aren't quite as good for performance, no one that I have seen has put one on a 6er.



Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
__________________
6 series - Sapphire Black w/ 22" Beyern Mesh wheels
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 06-27-2011, 12:53 PM
clifton2137 clifton2137 is offline
CLIFTON2137
Location: Philadelphia
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: 2006 650i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPEG23 View Post
B

Their is absolutely no interior noise at any speed and no one would assume this isn't how the car was suppose to sound. Overall - very clean and OEM sound, maybe 10-15% louder than the whisper quite stock setup but at full throttle from the outside it sounds a lot more exotic and high-revving. My x-pipe was installed where the front two resonators were and for better flow the shop used a step up 3" x-pipe(meaning it steps to 3" then back down to 2.25").

H-pipes generally do make deeper sound but aren't quite as good for performance, no one that I have seen has put one on a 6er.



Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Sounds good enough for me. I'll give this a try before I go and spend $1000+ on a Magnaflow. Any suggestions on where to get an X-Pipe? Pretty close with my mechanic so I'm sure he could help me out too.
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 06-27-2011, 02:25 PM
JPEG23 JPEG23 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Wichita, KS
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 556
Mein Auto: E63
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifton2137 View Post
Sounds good enough for me. I'll give this a try before I go and spend $1000+ on a Magnaflow. Any suggestions on where to get an X-Pipe? Pretty close with my mechanic so I'm sure he could help me out too.
You'll probably be more than happy and if not toss mufflers on it. Most bigger exhaust shops have pre-fabb'ed x-pipes they buy in bulk.


Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
__________________
6 series - Sapphire Black w/ 22" Beyern Mesh wheels
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 06-27-2011, 08:38 PM
White Drop Top White Drop Top is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Portland, Or
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 269
Mein Auto: 2008 650i convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifton2137 View Post
Sounds good enough for me. I'll give this a try before I go and spend $1000+ on a Magnaflow. Any suggestions on where to get an X-Pipe? Pretty close with my mechanic so I'm sure he could help me out too.
Like Jpeg says the cabin noise is nill. It really liven's up under throttle but nothing obnoxious. The X pipe can be made by any competent muffler guy. Ity needs to be placed up front where the front two resonators are then straight pipe ( get rid of the third box) to the mufflers. $150 approx for a $1,000 sound. If you want more buy some magnaflow, flowmaster mufflers.
__________________

Current cars 2008 650i Convertible full tint, 22' wheels magnoflow 2007 Range Rover HSE supercharged

Past Cars/Glory Days
02 lambo Murcielago
06 Bentley CGT
06 Merc CLS 550
07 Ferrari F430
06 Ferrari F430 Spider
06 Lambo Gallardo
05 Lambo Gallardo
04 Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale
01 Ferrari 360 spider
05 Audi S6
02 Porsche targa S
99 Ferrari 360
91 Ferrari 348TS
99 Hummer H1 soft top
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 06-29-2011, 11:07 AM
RGrewal RGrewal is offline
Registered User
Location: Denver, CO
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 25
Mein Auto: BMW 650i
I LOVEEEEE THE POST you guys have helped alot. i have a 07' 6 speed 650i & im going with the resonator delete & Xpipe! haha stupid guy at BIMMERHAUS in broomfield, CO wanted to charge me a $1000 and that was a rough estimate.. lol but good thing not everyones an idiot! "white drop top" that sounds really clean!
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 06-29-2011, 11:49 AM
White Drop Top White Drop Top is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Portland, Or
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 269
Mein Auto: 2008 650i convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGrewal View Post
I LOVEEEEE THE POST you guys have helped alot. i have a 07' 6 speed 650i & im going with the resonator delete & Xpipe! haha stupid guy at BIMMERHAUS in broomfield, CO wanted to charge me a $1000 and that was a rough estimate.. lol but good thing not everyones an idiot! "white drop top" that sounds really clean!
No worries man go to any muffler shop a performance oriented one would be preferred and should be no more than $200. It will sound like you just spent a grand. Next step would be to spend a couple hundered more and get aftermarket mufflers

make sure to post a video so we can hear it my man!
__________________

Current cars 2008 650i Convertible full tint, 22' wheels magnoflow 2007 Range Rover HSE supercharged

Past Cars/Glory Days
02 lambo Murcielago
06 Bentley CGT
06 Merc CLS 550
07 Ferrari F430
06 Ferrari F430 Spider
06 Lambo Gallardo
05 Lambo Gallardo
04 Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale
01 Ferrari 360 spider
05 Audi S6
02 Porsche targa S
99 Ferrari 360
91 Ferrari 348TS
99 Hummer H1 soft top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms