Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540i 1997
Interesting Thing After FSU Replacement

So today i replaced the FSU on my 97 540iA. Until now, with the AC on, with the blower setting all the way at max, there would be a decent amount of cold air in the cabin. (i never had the ac working at full capacity up until now as im finding out today, and i didnt even realize). So up until now, the aux fan wouldnt always come on while the AC was on, it would only come on for a few mins spinning very fast and then shut off, and so on. After changing the FSU today, the aux fan is on almost all the time (i say almost, because the rest of the time im driving and cant really tell) while the AC is on, and the amount of air into the cabin is at least double what i used to get before. Needless to say, the blower no longer has a mind of its own. Is this just a coincidence or does the FSU somehow also control the aux fan along with the temp switch and other items? Just wanted to share what i found today.

"Owning any german car is like hanukkah,
every day another light"
Ads by Google
Old 06-09-2011, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
The aux fan should come on when the A/C is on, at the low speed. If the engine gets hotter, the fan will speed up (it has 3 speeds on your MY).

The FSU has no control over the aux fan - it's strictly to control the HVAC blower.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:03 PM
wat's dat noise

Mein Auto: '04 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpumpk1n View Post
So today i replaced the FSU on my 97 540iA. Until now, with the AC on, with the blower setting all the way at max, there would be a decent amount of cold air in the cabin. (i never had the ac working at full capacity up until now as im finding out today, and i didnt even realize). So up until now, the aux fan wouldnt always come on while the AC was on, it would only come on for a few mins spinning very fast and then shut off, and so on. After changing the FSU today, the aux fan is on almost all the time (i say almost, because the rest of the time im driving and cant really tell) while the AC is on, and the amount of air into the cabin is at least double what i used to get before. Needless to say, the blower no longer has a mind of its own. Is this just a coincidence or does the FSU somehow also control the aux fan along with the temp switch and other items? Just wanted to share what i found today.
that's what my car does as well,which I think is how it shud work,cyclic.to come on only when needed ie when the condenser temps increases
Old 06-10-2011, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
With your AC dumping more cold air into the cabin the heat load is expelled into the condenser coil in front of the radiator, this makes the radiator hotter which in turn keeps the aux fan running longer/faster depending on how slow you are driving.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:20 PM
WTB - your E39 M5

Send a message via AIM to andyffer
Mein Auto: 02 530i, 09 335d
where did you purchase the FSU from? just curious and it has nothing to do with your results or at least, my asking doesnt

If you're not a ******* at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a ************ at forty you have no brain.