Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 06-10-2011, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 Acura RL
To put the front license plate on or not... that is the question.

So for those of you who are *legally* required to put on the front license plate, did you put it on or not? Run into any problems?
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
It's required in CT but for the last 8 years I have gone without a front plate and it has never been a problem. On the M3 I used to have, the front plate just destroyed the appearance......IMHO. I had the front plate on the X3 mounted and it looks fine.........
Old 06-10-2011, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 28i
What about California?? Anyone? How do you even attach it? I couldn't find anything on the front bumper to attach it!!!
Old 06-10-2011, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
ask the dealer to do it?
Old 06-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Not this question again...........

Here's my take: If one cares enough to drive without a required front plate, then one should be prepared to accept any consequences resulting from the action. It's kind of like how I use a radar detector and ran w/o the front plate in Virginia. I ran around for years without the front plate without issues, and the one instance I got caught with the V1, I admitted it without a fuss and eventually paid the fine (I plugged the detector right back in after crossing the county line). So there you have it: if it matters enough, then man up and pay any associated fines. Otherwise, leave it on.

Of course it's all moot to me now cuz I live in NC which has no issues with either.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Not this question again...........

Here's my take: If one cares enough to drive without a required front plate, then one should be prepared to accept any consequences resulting from the action. It's kind of like how I use a radar detector and ran w/o the front plate in Virginia. I ran around for years without the front plate without issues, and the one instance I got caught with the V1, I admitted it without a fuss and eventually paid the fine (I plugged the detector right back in after crossing the county line). So there you have it: if it matters enough, then man up and pay any associated fines. Otherwise, leave it on.

Of course it's all moot to me now cuz I live in NC which has no issues with either.
Agree with this comment.
Gone: 2011 X35i, Vermillion Red, MSport.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
For those of you in So. Cal, you very well know they will try to find some way of giving you a ticket these days. I've even seen the police pull over an MTA bus to hand out a citation. I know several people who have received tickets for not having the front plates. I was just talking to a friend who got a ticket for the 2nd time on their Range Rover which did not have a place to put the plate. Well, after the 2nd ticket he rushed to his dealership to have them put it on.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 Acura RL
Thank you for all the posts/comments! Since I plan on keeping this car for quite a while, I'll most likely have them put the front plates on. It's not like I'm driving a M3... yet.

SJ
Old 06-11-2011, 05:23 AM

Mein Auto: (soon to be '11 X3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whispered View Post
So for those of you who are *legally* required to put on the front license plate, did you put it on or not? Run into any problems?
There is a black bracket that integrates nicely (as nicely as it can) into the front of the vehicle...it's molded to fit around the black part of the bumper....if you bend down and look under the bottom part of the molding near the top of the grill, you will see two little square holes under the plastic... the bracket that the dealer will mount has two "clips" that slide into those holes so the bottom part is secure...so that's fine... then with the top part, they actually have to screw it into the black pastic part of your bumper..yes they screw it in and it sucks, but what else can you do...is what it is...no other way to put it on. Once it's on though it does pretty much integrate into the front without a fus...however I do think it looks slightly better without it, but like the one user said its not an M3 and the front is not destroyed b/c of the look...its ok to be honest.

As for me...the dealer mounted mine b/c I believe its a law that the dealer put it on before they let you drive off...or at least that's what I was told in the NJ/NJ/CT area..some tri-state law...sounds weird but God knows nowadays. When I got home I took it off and massaged the plastic to a point where the plastic went back together and there are not gaping holes any more...actually they use small screws so it was easy. I got the plastic to lay back flat and now there are just two tiny dots that kinda look like part of teh park distance control. We'll see if I leave it off...lots of people run without them in NJ but I'm prepared for the first $54.00 fine...we'lll see after that.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
In CA the dealer is required to provide an installed bracket for the front plate. You can have this deleted by providing in writing to the dealer that you do not want this bracket installed. This will still not get you quit of the Chippies who will zing you with a ticket. Many have driven for virtually years without a plate and others will get zinged virtually immediately. One thing to remember -- the state is hurting for money and tagging you for no front plate is a no brainer. At worst it is not as bad as the old E-type Jags which had to screw a european/english plate directly to the hood -- ruining the looks and the hood!

Last edited by UncleJ; 06-11-2011 at 07:52 AM.