Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: 1990 bmw 525i
weak battery = rich mixture?

84 325e question

Car ran fine for the first week or so. I left it for a weekend and it began to exhaust black smoke as well as stalling out. BUT, once I drove it around for a while it would start purring like a kitten, again. Did some stuff like seafoam, cleaned ICV, air filter, replaced intake boot... plugged in the coolant temperature sensor (at least I think that's the one... two prong... controls the idle speed (?)). I was starting to think it had something to do with the cold start valve or switch or maybe the fuel pump - I can't hear the fuel pump buzzing with the key ON... and when the car is running it sounds like it keeps switching on and off (maybe that's normal). I left the car for another few days and the battery died... and keeps dying each night.

Anyways... I was wondering if the source of the problem is the battery being weak and once it gets some juice from driving around the ECU fixes the mixture. I'm sorry if this makes no sense.

Also, Why the hell does my battery keep dying? Is there a way to check the alternator?

Why does the black smoke and loss of power just vanish?
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2011, 07:03 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
the fuel pump only runs when the motor is running. get your battery checked and see what the voltage is and what the cold cranking amps are. you could have a weak cell. if you check the alternator yourself just get a multimeter and should read 13.8 to 14.2 volts.

but the running rich thing can be effected by the dieing battery. when the ecu looses power it goes back to factory settings then when you drive it around, it starts putting in the "new" settings
Old 06-07-2011, 09:29 PM

Thank downhiller! Since this is all so new to me, I am letting a indie mechanic look at it thursday - so I will probably just have him test the alternator and battery.

So when the car is on and the fuel pump is on - what should it sound like? I just assumed it should be a sort of humming or buzzing sound...
Old 06-08-2011, 05:41 PM
E30's,Work,Eat,Sleep

Mein Auto: 1997 328i
You can also check your alt. by unplugging your battery while the car is running.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:52 PM
livin large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pela84 View Post
So when the car is on and the fuel pump is on - what should it sound like? I just assumed it should be a sort of humming or buzzing sound...
its like a humming whirring sound from behind the drivers rear wheel. but i think you also have another in the fuel tank, which you cant hear.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:05 PM

Okay... yeah I hear the humming.

New question (still regarding same thing, though):

I pulled the park plugs today (plantinum +4 from PO... I don't understand how you control the gap on those plugs). Anyways, they look like ****, have black all over them, one actually was crushed so there was no gap. I put platinums in and the difference in the way the car runs is like night and day! It actually feels somewhat like a 325e now. So my question is: could the previous plugs be the SOURCE of the black smoke, stalling, blah blah blah or is it merely an effect of the rich mixture? Are these new plugs going to be demolished soon by carbon?

Do new spark plugs help pass emissions / smog tests?
Old 06-08-2011, 11:05 PM
E30's,Work,Eat,Sleep

Mein Auto: 1997 328i
Black covered plugs means you have carbon deposits

Old 06-08-2011, 11:21 PM
livin large

new spark plugs will help pass emissions but it wont solve all problems. and yes a fouled plug can cause the symptoms you have/ but i would do some searching on why that one was crushed. you might have a bigger issue on your hands
Old 06-13-2011, 04:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 89 E30
you can always play with the AFM (air flow meter) even tho every one says not to but i did on mine
Old 06-13-2011, 07:27 PM

So, the new spark plugs were black the next day...

It's at the mechanic - where it's been for friggen' 3 days now (5 days, including the weekend) and it'll be there at least another day. The tech. thinks he's narrowed it down to the fuel injectors or the throttle switch... I might believe him. I am guessing the car sat around longer than the PO told me and the gas had turned into goo on the injectors. I would have taken the car from the mechanic first thing today and clean the injectors myself (crooks) - buy honestly I don't even know if it should be driven with the risk of killing the catalytic converter or screwing up the engine (it's blowing 12x the legal emissions of HC).

They should be putting the injectors back in tomorrow morn - fingers crossed.