Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 650i Coupe
IPod tricks?

I just started playing with my IPod in the car and have noticed some annoying things.
1. The same song restarts from the beginning whenever you restart the car instead of picking up where it left off. One trick I've learned is to jump to the next song before turning the car off.
2. The directories always start at the top meaning A first and you have to scroll to the bottom if you want something there even after listening to something towards the bottom.

Other than that it sounds awesome.
I guess I will be using play lists more in order to access songs easier.
Anyone else have ideas?
Thanks,
Wes
Ads by Google
Old 03-11-2011, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: 650
All of that sounds correct based on my experience with the IPOD in the 6. Very annoying interface, but it was trick at the time - 2006. Keep in mind that you can only have a certain number of playlists as the interface will only show a certain number of entries. I forget if it is 200 or 250 or what. All I know is that they cut off after the letter T in my car! That is a bummer when you spend 2 minutes scrolling to the bottom and want to listen to Van Halen and they are not available!
Old 03-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Yup.

Mein Auto: Cars
Yes, that is about the same experience I have in my car with the OEM iPod MOST interface.

One thing to note - I have found that it is a timed occurrence when the song restarts after turning off the car: If I turn off the car in the middle of a song, usually if I get back in within a few minutes and turn it on, it is right where I left it. I have noticed this on about 5 occasions and noted it because this also annoyed me.

One thing that really drives me nuts is the fact that 1) the RANDOM ALL setting only randomly selects songs after they have finished all the way though. If you press FWD or next song, it actually goes to the next song on the list, and does not stay random.

Also, I cannot believe there is not a better way to scroll through artists/songs by perhaps first letter, much like the contacts ability via bluetooth for my phone. Seems it would have made a lot of sense...

Maserati GT 4.2
Range Rover 4.4
Dodge Ram 1500

PAST: ALPINA B7, e63, e39, e39, e36
Old 03-12-2011, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossy View Post
Yes, that is about the same experience I have in my car with the OEM iPod MOST interface.

One thing to note - I have found that it is a timed occurrence when the song restarts after turning off the car: If I turn off the car in the middle of a song, usually if I get back in within a few minutes and turn it on, it is right where I left it. I have noticed this on about 5 occasions and noted it because this also annoyed me.
I had the same experience in my 645.

Quote:
One thing that really drives me nuts is the fact that 1) the RANDOM ALL setting only randomly selects songs after they have finished all the way though. If you press FWD or next song, it actually goes to the next song on the list, and does not stay random.
BMW Fixed that in the 650 - now with the random turned on, pressing the channel up/down buttons on the steering wheel randomly take you to a new song.

Quote:
Also, I cannot believe there is not a better way to scroll through artists/songs by perhaps first letter, much like the contacts ability via bluetooth for my phone. Seems it would have made a lot of sense...
You need to change to the other "CDs" to see it by artist, album or genre.

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera / Retro iPod
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 03-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDownInFL View Post
You need to change to the other "CDs" to see it by artist, album or genre.
For the other two issues, too bad for me, eh? As far as the other CDs, I tried that - but it doesn't load for some reason - gives me an error. I think I can only use CD1 and CD2 so far. I will have to look into why they others aren't loading correctly.

Maserati GT 4.2
Range Rover 4.4
Dodge Ram 1500

Old 03-12-2011, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
I would change to a random track by deselecting Random and then re-selecting it. Two clicks down on the iDrive knob. A bit of work, yes, but it's what I had to do to skip the current track.

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera / Retro iPod
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 03-12-2011, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 645CI
Yes... this interface drives me nuts' since it is so archaic.
CD1 are the playlists, CD2 are the songs, CD3 are my podcasts, CD4 more podcast, CD5 genre, CD6 ... I forgot! I think is artists.

I usually go to where all the songs are and say "Random" or track 1000!

I was NOT going FAST Officer!!! "...Hater" ...no nothing, I didn't say anything.

- 04' 645Ci SMG blk on blk
- 2010 Navigation DVD
- Sport pkg
- Cold weather pkg
- 19" OEM
- Ipod/MP3 kit
- SRX Laser Jammer/Radar Detector
- SAT Radio
- Hyper White Angeleyes
Old 04-06-2011, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: 6 WMB
Sorry to bump an old thread, but my 6 was made March 2004, am I able to configure the ipod adapter to my idrive? TIA
Old 04-07-2011, 06:48 AM
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fud View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread, but my 6 was made March 2004, am I able to configure the ipod adapter to my idrive? TIA
Yes. The dealer and update your CCC software for usually around $150.

You have to also buy the iPod kit though.

Maserati GT 4.2
Range Rover 4.4
Dodge Ram 1500

Old 06-13-2011, 02:34 AM

Mein Auto: '04 645CI
Got my OEM iPod interface in my '04 645CI installed last week. The only thing that annoys me is the haptic feedback / resistance of the iDrive controller knob when I want to scroll down a list. Is there any fix for this?
Old 06-13-2011, 06:51 AM
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by __co__ View Post
Got my OEM iPod interface in my '04 645CI installed last week. The only thing that annoys me is the haptic feedback / resistance of the iDrive controller knob when I want to scroll down a list. Is there any fix for this?
No, not unless you upgrade your CIC to the CCC - essentially by buying a newer car.

Maserati GT 4.2
Range Rover 4.4
Dodge Ram 1500

Old 06-13-2011, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: '04 645CI
Ok, thanks for your quick reply. I'll just have to live with it, but I hope I don't break the controller when I force it for scrolling up and down the list.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 645ci
Sorry to bumb an old thread (again), im gettin geared up to do this and i was wondering if anyone knew anywhere to buy the adapter for an 04 645ci for less than $350. Thats the dealership price here locally and was wonderin if theres a cheaper place online to buy it (not installed, just the interface) and is the 04 and 05 the same part? Thanks for the help guys
Old 06-14-2011, 04:46 PM
Yup.

On eBay. Otherwise, that is the going rate - I got mine from tischer @ getbmwparts.com and it was close to that.

Maserati GT 4.2
Range Rover 4.4
Dodge Ram 1500