Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 06-13-2011, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
Few Questions

Just received my X3 this past weekend and only driven like 60 miles so far. still have not taken any pictures yet.

Still trying to get used to it....very different from my old Honda!

So have a few questions, maybe pretty dumb...or should ask my dealer.

1) Emergency Brake - should i be activating this when i park? before i set to Park? or after? im used to the hand brake in my Honda...so not sure if i should be using it. i notice when i park without the brake, it still moves alittle....

2) MPG, so far only 60miles, but i checked the screen, it said 13.5mpg....is that normal at the beginning phase....or am i just pressing on the gas pedal wrong (still not very use to this either, especially at under 40)

3) if there is a scratch on a side window....does the entire window need to be replaced?

4) how can i upload music from my ipod into the music collection? can i only upload through a flash drive?

5) is there a way to lower the volume of the navigation voice
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2011, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: X3
2) My mpg improved over time.
3)They will probably want their rep to look at the window. My windshield is being replaced.
4) I believe only from flashdrive or cd.
5)When navigation is actually speaking press the volume - button to lower voice.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
As to item 1 - not sure it matters, but I always put into P, then pull up the brake switch. The electronic switch for parking brake acts no differently than the old pull up handles. If you used parking brake before, use it now.
As to item 2 - you are way too early to be worried about mileage, engines usually take several thou miles/kms before accurate fuel ecomony figures show. Just enjoy your new car, and forget about mileage for a while.
Gone: 2011 X35i, Vermillion Red, MSport.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skygal View Post
5)When navigation is actually speaking press the volume - button to lower voice.
I tried that but didnt seem to work. Only lowered my music volume... I will try again and see. I just wish theres an actual volume scale or gauge....for the music at least.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Go into the I-drive menu under settings then I believe it is the sound or tone option. You can then choose how loud the Nav voice is, the PDC beeps and "bonging" seat belt sounds are to name a few. You can also download your music right from your Ipod to the hard drive via the usb port in the glove box. You can go through the I-drive menu to do this as well.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:15 PM

double post.....deleted

Last edited by Want the Thrill; 06-13-2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 06-13-2011, 04:33 PM

i hooked up my ipod to the usb port in the glove box. it charges my ipod, but it wouldnt search or play anything from there.

as for the navi voice, in the setting i saw, the 1st option reads "speed volume". is that the same? or maybe i just have my main volume up really loud (music not loud enough!).... i already turned down my goong and pdc sounds....
Old 06-13-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dckang View Post
i hooked up my ipod to the usb port in the glove box. it charges my ipod, but it wouldnt search or play anything from there.

as for the navi voice, in the setting i saw, the 1st option reads "speed volume". is that the same? or maybe i just have my main volume up really loud (music not loud enough!).... i already turned down my goong and pdc sounds....
I believe it is "Tone" you are looking for under settings. As for the Ipod, when you plug it into the glove box port, you have to go to the import/export music option through the I-drive menu before you can play the music. It explains it in your owners manual well.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 Acura RL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dckang View Post
I tried that but didnt seem to work. Only lowered my music volume... I will try again and see. I just wish theres an actual volume scale or gauge....for the music at least.
It's pretty tricky, especially if the voice doesn't talk long. You have to adjust the volume knob while the voice is talking. Anything before or after that will result in just the main music volume change. Good luck!
Old 06-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
The parking brake can be used anytime when stationary. Treat it like a normal handbrake in an AT; if you're like me and pull the handbrake every time, set it before or after P, doesn't matter much.

In fact, the Auto H function will hold the brakes when you're stationary and automatically release when you step on the throttle (or get of the car). Makes stop-and-go traffic easy.

The engines need about 10000km to reach best fuel consumption figures. Don't fuss over this.

To adjust the sat nav volume, turn the volume knob when the voice is speaking.