Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: hopefully a z3
Z3 Suspension Maintenance Question

I'm new to this blog and have a new to me 2001 3L Z3 roadster. It is in pretty(38000miles) good shape and is completly stock. Al original suspension bits. I had it jacked up and looked by a mechanic and he pointed out some front suspension bushing that were clearly cracked.
I suspect this in age related.
My question what other suspension parts are likely in need to be replaced due to age?
Other bushings, the struts, shocks, etc.

Any recommendations. I do not want to go racing...softer suspension setting will help with my wife.

This would likely be a winters project.

Is there some special skill/requirement to do a 4 wheel alignment ...or can any shop do this after the suspension work is done.
Ads by Google
Old 06-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 2.8, 2002 M Coupe
The only adjustability on our cars is front toe. The rear is totally fixed, If your suspension overhaul involves the front tie rods then an alignment might be in order afterwards. If it is a purely street driven car, then just go with OEM replacement bushings. The one exception to this would be the rear subframe carrier bushings. Look into getting urethane units from Ireland Engineering or Powerflex. They really transform the handling of the car, remove most of the floatiness in the rear end during cornering, and don't cause an appreciable increase in ride harshness (but maybe some increased driveline whine). Your shocks may be near the end of their life. If you replace the rears, definitely replace the rear shock mounts (RSM's) at the same time. As for shocks, Bilstein Sports are a nice replacement, retain the stock ride height, and restore the stock ride. If you plan really spirited driving, or want to lower the car, then look into coilovers, TC Kline makes a great suspension that is specifically tuned for our cars, is adjustable from almost Lexus-like to autocross ready, and is highly acclaimed by enthusiasts here (including me).

Last edited by KBH22102; 06-14-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: hopefully a z3
Thanks

This is very helpful

bob