Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 06-01-2011, 07:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Dropped the car off the dealer this morning for the belt and the soot on my bumper again. MPG's also seem to be down, but I am guessing it's that crappy Shell diesel I just filled up with.

On a side note, the VOB loaner program BLOWS! First, they tell me they do not have any BMW loaners, that I have to get a rental from Enterprise which is located in the same in buildnig (I understand, not a problem, right?) Well, I check in at Enterprise and there are approx 20 people in front of me waiting after they checked in. I had to wait for an hour and twenty mintues before they got me in a car. Mean while, as I am waiting, I see a guy pull up in a pre LCI e90 M3, check in with his SA and they place him in car right away and it's a BMW LOANER! I get a little annoyed at that, understandably, I mean hey I thought they were out of cars?! Next there is a guy that checked in with his SA (same SA as mine) and Enterprise a couple of people behind me,,, he waits a little while then goes to complain to the SA who comes and takes his ticket from Enterprise and proceeds to put him in a BMW LOANER! HEY WAIT A F%$KING MINUTE! The same SA told me not 40 min earlier he had no loaners!

I never experienced this kind of garbage at Lexus and what's up with all of the "sorry we don't have any loaners, but will put you in a chevy impala from Enterprise" then give away two loaners right in front you?! Do BMW dealers set aside loaners for M drivers or people who bitch? I can tell you I will not be as polite next time I go in for service!
Old 06-01-2011, 01:28 PM

delete

Last edited by cssnms; 06-02-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:00 PM

Okay dealer called today and said they need to order all new AC belt pullies and a new belt. They searched the entire country and nobody as the parts (downside to having a rare car). They ordered them from Germany with an eta of 5-10 days. WIll need to drop the car back off with the dealer when they arrive. They said it shouldn't take more than a day.

I wonder what the deal is with the AC pullies and belt? I know I am not the first to have this problem.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:42 AM

FYI in some cases loaners are reserved at the time an appointment is made.
Mine #2: 2012 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 V6 'Ecoboost' twin turbo boat puller dump runner
Sold: 2006 330i Silver/Black MT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW
Old 06-03-2011, 05:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecodoug View Post
FYI in some cases loaners are reserved at the time an appointment is made.
The first dealership I used you had to arrange for a loaner when making the appointment or you'd not get one. I never have asked about or been offered a loaner at the dealership I now use. So no idea how they handle it.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:05 AM

Mein Auto: Pinto
I've learned if you call the service advisor ahead of time they can arrange a car for you.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elester12 View Post
I've learned if you call the service advisor ahead of time they can arrange a car for you.
I did all of that and I got a loaner, but mind you after waiting an hour, they handed me the keys to a Chevy Impala.

Two guys, one of which checked in after me who just decided to complain about the wait for an Enterprise rental car got moved to the front of the line and put in a BMW loaner. Again this was after my SA (same SA that put this guy in a BMW loaner) said they didn't have any.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
I did all of that and I got a loaner, but mind you after waiting an hour, they handed me the keys to a Chevy Impala.

Two guys, one of which checked in after me who just decided to complain about the wait for an Enterprise rental car got moved to the front of the line and put in a BMW loaner. Again this was after my SA (same SA that put this guy in a BMW loaner) said they didn't have any.
Did you have to pay the Enterprise bill? Mercedes dealership I sometimes use does not have loaners but they have rent cars and the only piece you have to pay is the taxes. As I understand it with BMW it is entirely up to the dealership on if they will provide loaners at all, guess it is the same way for Mercedes.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
Did you have to pay the Enterprise bill? Mercedes dealership I sometimes use does not have loaners but they have rent cars and the only piece you have to pay is the taxes. As I understand it with BMW it is entirely up to the dealership on if they will provide loaners at all, guess it is the same way for Mercedes.
No I did not have to pay. I bought my car at this dealer and part of the deal is they provide their customers with a loaner (not necessarily a BMW if stock runs out).

When their BMW loaners are not available I don't mind getting a rental, my issue was the wait to just get in a car, THEN they gave a guy that checked in after me a BMW loaner only because he complained about waiting to long for Enterprise and this was after my SA told me there were no BMW loaners! Everyone standing in the Enterprise office that had been waiting (some longer than me) watched as my SA and the customer came in and grabbed his paperwork from Enterprise, walked outside and put him in a BMW loaner, while the rest of stood there waiting like a bunch of smucks. As if this customer's time was more important then everyone elses.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 S4
You should have complained and if didn't work made a scene. I would have demanded keys to their M3 test drive car.

Dealership I bought my car has a fleet of 70 loaners but usually a waiting list for about 10 days. No extra rentals. Good thing is they have a nice lounge with wifi, free water, bagels, cookies where I could work remotely with my laptop.

Going back to the original topic; My car made this annoying noise few more times since I posted. I noticed that it is when the car sits for few days and when I start the AC is ON. If it becomes a more regular thing then going back to the dealer.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked335d View Post
You should have complained and if didn't work made a scene. I would have demanded keys to their M3 test drive car.

Dealership I bought my car has a fleet of 70 loaners but usually a waiting list for about 10 days. No extra rentals. Good thing is they have a nice lounge with wifi, free water, bagels, cookies where I could work remotely with my laptop.

Going back to the original topic; My car made this annoying noise few more times since I posted. I noticed that it is when the car sits for few days and when I start the AC is ON. If it becomes a more regular thing then going back to the dealer.
Hopefully there won't be a next time!

My car only did it at start up esp after it had been sitting for a couple of hours in the heat. In the mornings it would not do it. I am not sure what is didderent about the replacement pullies and belt then what was put in my car in Oct 2010. Hopefully it solves the issue for good.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:35 AM

Just thought I would report, dealer replace the AC belt, tensioners and pullies and the squeal is GONE!
Old 06-20-2011, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
great to hear...keep us posted if it returns.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: 335d (e90)

This is what it sounds like.

Last edited by taibanl; 06-20-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post

This is what it sounds like.
Holy hell that video just gave me the shivers! Yup, that's it! Are you taking that bad boy into the dealer?
Old 06-21-2011, 05:59 AM

I took it in yesterday. Early, so that it could sit in the sun and heat up. I told them exactly when it happens (after sitting in hot sun) and they proceed to drive it to the service bay, do ALL the other work, oil change, recall etc, before turning on the AC. "Cannot reproduce problem" The SA was about to send my on my way; I told him it was unacceptable. After a long talk with the SM, they are ordering your parts list....so again. Thanks.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
I took it in yesterday. Early, so that it could sit in the sun and heat up. I told them exactly when it happens (after sitting in hot sun) and they proceed to drive it to the service bay, do ALL the other work, oil change, recall etc, before turning on the AC. "Cannot reproduce problem" The SA was about to send my on my way; I told him it was unacceptable. After a long talk with the SM, they are ordering your parts list....so again. Thanks.
That is EXACTLY what happened to me. Must be their knee jerk response. Clearly there is something defective with the AC belt/pully system and one would think they could diagnose without hearing the noise. Oh well, glad it worked out, you will appreciate the quietness that ensues.

Last edited by cssnms; 06-21-2011 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d +Turbo E36 Vert
I've noticed this same shriek a couple times in the past 4,000 miles. Both times, AC was on and the car had been sitting in the hot sun after being driven. The first time I thought is was another car because I had about 15,000 miles on my 2010 335d. If it gets worse, I'll have to take it in. Very nice to know that I wasn't just hearing things because that it likely what the dealer would claim.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:34 AM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
I just had the first squealing fan belt yesterday. It was 90 Deg F with at least 98% humidity. It started right after starting up the car and when I started to back out of the drive it was really loud. My neighbor about 3 houses down turned to see what was the racket. It lasted about 20 seconds or so, then went away. Embarrassing with a $50k car!

If it happens again I'll take it in to get that adjusted. I had the chance to hear a freinds D recently and have noted my A/C compressor is definitely louder, so I suspect something could be going on, especially with the squealing belt. Almost always a sign of trouble coming up.

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 07-12-2011, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
It is getting bad. Going to bring it in.

Retired 2011 335d AW, M Sport, Premium and Convenience pkg, Heated Seats, Nav, HK, iPod/USB, smart phone. ED 8/31/10

Retired 2008 335i Coupe 6-speed Manual, Montego Blue, Sport, Premium, CW, Nav, PDC, AS, Shade, HD, Sat, Ipod/USB, Logic 7, CA
PCD 11/07

Retired 2004 545i Sapphire Black/Black 6-speed Manual, Sport.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:43 PM

Good luck!

Well, my car squealed again today when I started it with the AC on and I BMW replaced all of the parts already. Unbelievable they can't fix this issue...
Old 07-12-2011, 04:45 PM

Youre kidding!...Are you going to have a case opened?
Old 07-12-2011, 04:47 PM

What do mean by, "a case opened?"
Old 07-12-2011, 04:54 PM

I dont know details but its something tech's do when they are stumped.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Good luck!

Well, my car squealed again today when I started it with the AC on and I BMW replaced all of the parts already. Unbelievable they can't fix this issue...
Oh no! Maybe I should wait.

Retired 2011 335d AW, M Sport, Premium and Convenience pkg, Heated Seats, Nav, HK, iPod/USB, smart phone. ED 8/31/10

Retired 2008 335i Coupe 6-speed Manual, Montego Blue, Sport, Premium, CW, Nav, PDC, AS, Shade, HD, Sat, Ipod/USB, Logic 7, CA
PCD 11/07

Retired 2004 545i Sapphire Black/Black 6-speed Manual, Sport.