Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3
2000 Z3 interior door glue letting go on arm rest

I took my beloved Z in for repairs to the lower passenger side panel due to a rock thrown by a car in the next lane. How they could have missed a rock the size of a large grapefruit is troubling but the damage it did to that lower panel was incredible. I took my car in for restoration pursuant to the insurance policy. The interior of my car is excellent, in addition, I alone drive my car and the passenger seat is ALWAYS empty.

I drop off the car for repair.

Fast forward 3 days when I pick up the car. I see the repair of the panel is hideous and rough. The repairer decided to put on a rock guard surface to protect it since they said the original rock coating that came on the car had worn off. Well, I did not have to be restrained as I explained my car came to me with 6 miles on it and I alone maintain it and never in all my years of washing and caring for my car have I noticed stone guard on that lower panel. In addition, they did this ONLY ON THE PASSENGER SIDE! I checked the driver side and it was smooth. Even if BMW had put stone guard on the cars it would not be as unsighlty as the rough ragged edges as were on one side of my car at that time.

I contacted my insurer and said their repair went beyone what they were supposed to do and that they had disfiguired one side! The next morning I got into my car and looked at the passenger door! When the scream died down, I saw the passenger arm rest, that is never used, with its material pulled away and the area located just below that air bag exposed, with foam visible. I KNOW my car was not in this condition when I took it in.

The repair shop says they did not do it, that it is the glue that has let go and the material retracted. Can this happen overnight?

I am left to fix this. Yesterday I took it to an upholstry shop for an estimate. I was told it cannot be fixed, the only repair is to replace the interior door panel. He said he has seen this on others BMW and it was a defect. Can anyone shed any light on the defect part? I would replace both interiors so it would match and the cost for panels ($400 each) and install $125 each side seems really expensive to me.

I would like to take care of this before leaving on a significant drive in 2 weeks to meet up with my Z friends. Anyone who knows me, knows I love and am passionate about my car and keep it in excellent condition.

I trust and appreciate any help you experts out there can offer on this problem.

JoAnna and ROADCAR in San Diego!
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2011, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: '01 Z3.0 R; '10 MB C300
Sorry to hear about that. Post up some pics so we can make suggestions.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3
Click image for larger version

Name:	Z3 areas concern 2 24 11 005.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	270223

Here is picture of passenger door interior where glue has let go.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:01 AM
Suede Master

Mein Auto: '02 3.0i Z3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokuhl View Post
The repair shop says they did not do it, that it is the glue that has let go and the material retracted. Can this happen overnight?
The pic you posted seems like it is something that should have happened slowly over time. I am not sure if it would do it overnight, maybe you were more sensitive to what could be wrong with the car after the experience you had and not noticed it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokuhl View Post
I am left to fix this. Yesterday I took it to an upholstry shop for an estimate. I was told it cannot be fixed, the only repair is to replace the interior door panel. He said he has seen this on others BMW and it was a defect. Can anyone shed any light on the defect part? I would replace both interiors so it would match and the cost for panels ($400 each) and install $125 each side seems really expensive to me.
New panels from BMW cost $400? Last time I checked they were over $1100 each. Install is not terribly tricky and a first timer could probably do it in 1 hour. The bulk of that being in the first panel.

I have not seen this defect before so I am not sure how common it is. Upholsterer should be able to remove the material and install new material without too much trouble. I am not sure what they would charge though. Plus you would have to do both sides unless they can get a perfect match on the material.

08 E82 135i | 02 Z3 Coupe | 01 R1100S

Last edited by AndyM; 03-14-2011 at 06:02 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:46 AM
formerly updmst

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe, 1997 318ti
In the world of sagging 318TI headliners, I've heard of people using steam to reactivate the glue. Followed by moderate pressure on the headliner.

If you are going to replace the panel anyway, perhaps, somehow heating the arm rest would reactivate the glue. But I would only try this if your only alternative is replacing the panel. (mentioned "replacing" twice for emphasis - don't screw up a part you are planning on fixing)
Old 03-18-2011, 10:00 AM
formerly updmst

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe, 1997 318ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post

I have not seen this defect before so I am not sure how common it is.
Last night I saw this defect on a friend's 1999 Z3 M roadster - glue letting loose on the passenger's arm rest. Not very noticeable, except if you were looking for the problem. He was totally unaware of the problem.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 MZ3
something is loose

I dont see how this could happen during normal service of any kind.
Take it to a different upholstery shop for an opinion.
The way it works is
the fabric that has let go is applied as a unit to the door panel consisting of fabric than poly padding glued to a ABS backing.
the ABS backing has plastic pins molded on the back side about 6 of them about 1/2 inch long.
the pins are guided through the fiber door panel and melted (mushromed) on the back side as an attachement method.This make its near impossible to remove.
I think it could be done with a minimal amount of effort.
The pins are a large enough diameter to be center drilled and small screws and washers used to reattach it.
Dont know that you have much to lose.
Grind off the pins remove the panel hot glue the fabric and reattach using screws.
Might be a bit more difficult than that.
I can send you pics of the back side of my door panel.
M
Old 06-21-2011, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 m roadster
door panel

for those that might read this. It is possible to happen overnight. The reason is the collision repair shop in an effort to run many cars through their paint booth will crank up the temp way above what the car would ever receive in normal use to bake the paint dry. . this has been know to let headliners drop, put divets in leather seats if something is sitting on them and loosen up glue on older panels.

I worked in florida andwe checked the temp on a black car sitting in the sun on a 100 degree day. the hood in the paint booth got 18 degrees hotter.