Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-23-2011, 05:23 PM
united2512002

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW E39 528i
New Black Grills and Fog Lights (Pics)

Hello everyone,
So today me and my friend were thinking about what to do to my BMW and we decided since many people on the forums wanted me to get black kidney grills and black fog surrounds that we would Plasti dip my grills and the fog surrounds. Iím happy with the way they came out and want to keep them now I like them black. Here are a few pics. Enjoy!!!! Comments welcome.

Ads by Google
Old 06-23-2011, 05:27 PM
CPR ..

Mein Auto: e39s..
YESSSSSSS Now that's the look right there !! Well done my friend 5 thumbs up for you lol... In all seriousness they look really good. I told you that you'd like them
Old 06-23-2011, 05:49 PM
united2512002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngproexec View Post
YESSSSSSS Now that's the look right there !! Well done my friend 5 thumbs up for you lol... In all seriousness they look really good. I told you that you'd like them

HA HA HA thank you Youngproexec!!!! They came out better than i ever could have thought of. I agree that it looks verry nice and much more aggressive.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:18 PM
Thebizzy.com

Send a message via AIM to Mack
Mein Auto: '02 525i
Dude absolutely gorgeous! I actually love those old school headlights. Are those hella M5's or aftermarket? Some HID fogs would really set this off too.

Mods: Shark Injected | Magnaflow Exhaust + Resonator | H&R Springs | Bilstein SP Shocks + Struts | TMS Power Pulleys
Eibach F+R Sways | BeastPower Brackets | M-Tech bumpers | Predator ICE V3 + HID Fogs | Eurodyne CF Hood | BSW Sub + Dice + spec dock

[---Quote (Originally by Tex330i)---
You can warranty a turd, that way when you have a problem you can exchange it for a new turd.---End Quote---
Old 06-23-2011, 06:25 PM
CPR ..

His car ='s Sex lol
Old 06-23-2011, 06:30 PM
united2512002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
Dude absolutely gorgeous! I actually love those old school headlights. Are those hella M5's or aftermarket? Some HID fogs would really set this off too.
Thnak you verry much Mack. I love the way taht they came out. They are Euro Spec Hella M5 shipped form Germeny. I have been thinking of HID bulbs as wel.

Quote:
His car ='s Sex lol
One of my most fav quotes ever!!!!!
Old 06-23-2011, 06:59 PM
Thebizzy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by united2512002 View Post

One of my most fav quotes ever!!!!!
That would look good in your sig.

Mods: Shark Injected | Magnaflow Exhaust + Resonator | H&R Springs | Bilstein SP Shocks + Struts | TMS Power Pulleys
Eibach F+R Sways | BeastPower Brackets | M-Tech bumpers | Predator ICE V3 + HID Fogs | Eurodyne CF Hood | BSW Sub + Dice + spec dock

You can warranty a turd, that way when you have a problem you can exchange it for a new turd.---End Quote---
Old 06-23-2011, 07:03 PM
united2512002

Ha ha just thought about the same thing!!!!!!
Old 06-23-2011, 08:08 PM
CPR ..

Sweet I have my quote in a sig ! it looks good
Old 06-23-2011, 08:27 PM
united2512002

Quote:
Sweet I have my quote in a sig ! it looks good
Ha ha thank you
Old 06-23-2011, 08:54 PM
Thebizzy.com

Damn I just looked again at these pics. Those damn grills are black as night! I can barely even see the fins!! That is some bad@ss $hit man I love it! Also who the heck did your bumper work. It's flat out flawless. I mean wow. Makes mine look like it was done by a bunch of rednecks. Which it was, but wow yours look stellar. Ok what do you have in mind for wheels cause I know you can't leave this baby with those stock style 66's.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:56 PM
Thebizzy.com

Oh and I also didn't notice your lack of shadowline trim on the windows. YOU realize that is an absolute MUST right? That chrome has got to go!

Old 06-23-2011, 09:04 PM
united2512002

Quote:
Damn I just looked again at these pics. Those damn grills are black as night! I can barely even see the fins!! That is some bad@ss $hit man I love it! Also who the heck did your bumper work. It's flat out flawless. I mean wow. Makes mine look like it was done by a bunch of rednecks. Which it was, but wow yours look stellar. Ok what do you have in mind for wheels cause I know you can't leave this baby with those stock style 66's.
Thank you again Mack. My friend painted all of the items that were plasti diped and the bumper work was don at a place near me that has worked on all of our cars called The Body Shop Of Barrington in Barrington Illinois. I also go to a shop called A&L Autobody / IND tunning near me (10 min drive to both from my place to both) and they do AMAIZING WORK!!!!!! it took them 5 days to pre fit, color match, wet sand out any imperfections and then final fit with a few adjustments. I would recomend both to anyone in the Country. As for the Wheels for now im going to keep the style 66 wheels on until i can get some more cash and them mabby som BBS wheels but as of rite now im not to sure.

Quote:
Oh and I also didn't notice your lack of shadowline trim on the windows. YOU realize that is an absolute MUST right? That chrome has got to go!
As for the Windows they are the next item on the never ending list to be changed out next!!! Thank you again Mack for your kind words
Old 06-23-2011, 09:05 PM
united2512002

I have also clayed and waxed it a number of times to get it to look as good as i can
Old 06-23-2011, 09:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW's, Honda's, VW's
Wow Nic they came out awesome! Glad to be able to say I had a helping hand in creating this sex machine on wheels lol
Old 06-23-2011, 09:47 PM
united2512002

Quote:
Originally Posted by almightyjebus View Post
Wow Nic they came out awesome! Glad to be able to say I had a helping hand in creating this sex machine on wheels lol
Ha ha thank you almightyjebus (ollee) lol
Old 06-24-2011, 06:21 AM
Thebizzy.com

Hey bro what suspension are you running? Also just out of curiosity, what brand front bumper did you go with?

Last edited by Mack; 06-24-2011 at 06:26 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:14 AM
united2512002

Quote:
Hey bro what suspension are you running? Also just out of curiosity, what brand front bumper did you go with?
Mack,

I went with the DDM tunning front and rear ///M bumper set up and i thought they turned out verry nice. DDM shipping however was the biggest PITA. Quality of the bumper is verry close to an OEM m tech bumper form BMW. LOcal BMW dealer actually thought that the bumper was OEM when I was picking up a part for the car a few weeks ago.

As for my suspension I am on EAC Coilovers. They are a fantastic price, great quality and i have only gone down about 1/4 of the way on these coils and i am stanced where i am currently. The ride is as hard or soft as you want it to be. I believe they have 13 stiffness settings. 13 being the hardest and 1 being the most soft. I am running at a 8 in the rear now and a 7 in the front. The ride is a bit stiffer than BMW sport suspension, but i like to feal the road a lot so I dont mind the sometimes rouf and stiffer ride i get from them.

I have always followed your car closely and it was an inspriation to my car so thank you verry much Mack.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:07 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: Me - E39 5spd, Wife - E36
Looks really nice!! I like your lower lip spoiler.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:29 AM
WTB - your E39 M5

Send a message via AIM to andyffer
Mein Auto: 02 530i, 09 335d
Looks great! Never liked the pre-facelift lights except for those M5 clears. The contrasting black really sets the car off. It took Mack a while to come back to reality and paint his window trim. But it really gives it a "whole" look. Plasti-dip is great stuff aint it? You could use it on your side window trim as well.

That hamann lip looks great as well.

New set of wheels would make it look even better. This is a stretch for some people though it really looks sporty and classy but if you want to blow a couple hundred, get that roof painted glossy black. Car would be finished-- assuming you have M sport rear and trunk lip spoiler

If you're not a ******* at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a ************ at forty you have no brain.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by united2512002 View Post
Thank you again Mack. My friend painted all of the items that were plasti diped and the bumper work was don at a place near me that has worked on all of our cars called The Body Shop Of Barrington in Barrington Illinois. I also go to a shop called A&L Autobody / IND tunning near me (10 min drive to both from my place to both) and they do AMAIZING WORK!!!!!! it took them 5 days to pre fit, color match, wet sand out any imperfections and then final fit with a few adjustments. I would recomend both to anyone in the Country.
As for the Wheels for now im going to keep the style 66 wheels on until i can get some more cash and them maybe some BBS wheels but as of right now, I'm not too sure.

I really like style 66's...
Hint-hint...

Let me know...
Old 06-24-2011, 11:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 528i
looks good man, how about some wheel spacers to bump out those wheels to get an even more aggressive stance...
BMWCCA member #446696
aloha state
Old 06-24-2011, 01:03 PM
Float On

Mein Auto: 1981 320i
I did my trim rings last Sunday in PlastiDip. Great product, great results.

Nice looking car.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:06 PM
united2512002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@Bavarian View Post
Looks really nice!! I like your lower lip spoiler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyffer View Post
Looks great! Never liked the pre-facelift lights except for those M5 clears. The contrasting black really sets the car off. It took Mack a while to come back to reality and paint his window trim. But it really gives it a "whole" look. Plasti-dip is great stuff aint it? You could use it on your side window trim as well.

That hamann lip looks great as well.

New set of wheels would make it look even better. This is a stretch for some people though it really looks sporty and classy but if you want to blow a couple hundred, get that roof painted glossy black. Car would be finished-- assuming you have M sport rear and trunk lip spoiler

Thank you berry much Joe@Bavarian. I plann on useing it on the window trim next for sure. I do indeed have the rear bumper and the lip spoiler for the M5 as well. I was thinking about the roof just not sure as of yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
I really like style 66's...
Hint-hint...

Let me know...
Ha ha ill be keeping them for another year at least then ill let yea know

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmonem View Post
looks good man, how about some wheel spacers to bump out those wheels to get an even more aggressive stance...
Thank you edmonem,
The front i could run a wheel spacer but the rear i can bairly fit a finger between the tire and the fender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by menhir View Post
I did my trim rings last Sunday in PlastiDip. Great product, great results.

Indeed it is fantastic
Nice looking car.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:51 PM

Mein Auto: 540i
United251, you say you just hand painted the plast-dip and got those smooth looking results? Or did you dip the grills into plast-dip ?
Did you/your friend do anything to the plastic before painting ?

The flat black is the right treatment against the silver hood.
I'm going to try this.

-steve m
2002 540i-6
chrome grills but not much longer