Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:03 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 1.9 auto
Changing ATF in Automatic box

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me "step by step" how to change, or top up the ATF in my Z3 1.9 roadster (1997).........Pictures would also be useful.......... I know that there is a school of thought that would suggest leaving it alone as it is a sealed for life unit.

But I am sometimes getting a delay with the car going into gear. When coming to a stop first gear sometimes comes in with a thud and also when first taking off from stopped. Also, one time she rolled on an incline until I really put my foot on the gas and then she caught gear.

So I tought that maybe it's low ATF or old ATF. The car has done 91K.

Any ideas
Ads by Google
Old 06-25-2011, 03:35 AM

Ok, looked around a bit and come up with the following links which give a better idea as to how this can be done.........just in case there are others out there with the same problem.

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_6888064_do...-bmw-e36_.html

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T..._E36_tech.html

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-...n-filters.aspx
Old 06-25-2011, 03:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 1.9L DASC Auto
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...Fluid_Auto.htm

A/C on and temp at 80 deg F
Old 06-25-2011, 04:10 AM

Monolith, that's fantastic, the symptoms described in your article are exactly what I am getting……..”exactly”

Thanks for posting and putting my mind at rest. Will report back once I get out of here and home to the real world and get this job done. Thanks again………honestly....
Old 06-25-2011, 06:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 1.9L DASC Auto
Just remember that the level needs to be checked with the car running, air conditioner on (to increase rpms slightly). Shift through all gears to help distribute the fluid and place back in park. Check level - you want a small stream to be coming out of the fill plug. During the summer, it is difficult to keep the fluid temperature down. 80 deg F is probably your ambient temp already, so you have to be quick with the checking to get max fluid level.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:27 AM

Hear you loud and clear Monolith, will do it to the book and follow your suggestions. Stuck in the Middle East at the moment, but will be home next month and will get on with it then and let you know how it went. Thanks again for all your help mate.........