Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:45 PM
///M 'n it up!

Send a message via AIM to wildag
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 M Roadster
Z4 - Techtronics.de Automatic Top Convenience Modules Review

I've purchased and installed three automatic top modules from techtronics.de. They allow you to do all the things you wish that BMW had made stock. Here's my video review:

I ordered these March 22nd, and received them April 14th, so the shipping is not fast. They did not come with any installation bits, or instructions as were listed on the website. I did get a pretty quick response with the three PDF installation instruction files I've listed below. The "extra" bits I got for less than $20 from RadioShack. The modules are well made, and seem sturdy. Heavy duty double sided tape worked well for mounting them. I'm happy with the result.

Installation took about 2 hours combined. It was on par with a custom alarm install; harder than a simple radio swap, easier than a "carputer". The installation instructions, linked below, were dead on, and were very easy follow. I did a lot of "simple fact checking" and logical reassurance through the WDS. These modules use basic relays and the K-Bus interface to "trick" the convertible top controller into doing things differently.

The 25km/h module is clever, but also a bit of "hey you should understand how this thing works, and what its doing". The installation instructions tell you to simply replace pin 14 of the instrument cluster connector. You're really allowing the 25km/h module to filter the K-Bus messages coming out of the cluster. One assumes then that its only blocking certain information, and not blocking important ones. I checked the WDS schematics, and it appears that the airbag and safety system messages do not come from the instrument cluster. So the only negative effect this might have is that the instrument cluster is not getting all of the intended messages. Just an FYI.

At first, I thought there were some problems with the modules, but then I discovered a few understandable "rules" they follow.

1) The remote module requires the that the car be unlocked immediately before the three presses. The module won't work if the car has been unlocked for a while.

2) The OneTip module requires that you press the top up/down button for at least a second and a half. If something fails, you'll not be able to use the top up/down button for the next 10 seconds; think trunk space selectors in "up" position, or travel speed above limit.

3) The 25km/h module works only after starting from a complete stop. Once you go over 25km/h you must come to a complete stop again. If you use the "OneTip" and then go over 25km/h you'll notice the top stops. You must come to a complete stop to make the top move again.

4) You can change the 25km/h limit to 50km/h using the radio buttons, noted at the bottom of the installation instructions.

Installation Instructions:

Key Fob Remote (FB) Module

OneTip Module

25 km/h Module

DreamingWell.com Web Services
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2010, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 3.0i
Hi,

Iv bought Cabrio remote open Interface from Techntronics.de also. In mounting guides there are 5 wires, but on the modules 6 wires - blue one is remaining. Where should I connect this one?

THS for answer and sorry for my english :-(
Old 06-21-2010, 02:23 PM
///M 'n it up!

Send a message via AIM to wildag
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 M Roadster
I'm 90% sure I remember having a wire left over. These modules are used in several different configurations, so that's not a surprise. I'd just tape the left over wire to the rest.

DreamingWell.com Web Services
Old 06-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 ///M Roadster
WARNING - I attempted purchase this item from Techronics.de and the seller did not acknowlege or ship the item. After weeks I am still resolving the issue via PayPal dispute to get my money back.

Photo Gallery here