Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 04-05-2011, 11:29 PM

Mein Auto: 335d, 325CIC, 323i
Idle Sound

My 2011 Z4 (3,500 miles) drives well and the sound coming from the engine/exhaust is good when driving the car. However, at idle there is a strange sound/noise coming from the back (sounds like exhaust). It is this strange whining noise. Somebody told me that BMW somehow electronically improves the engine/exhaust sound of the car. Does anybody have a similar experience?
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2011, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 35is
I have noticed a high pitch sound coming from the trunk area also and one day I plan on taking my car to the dealership and have them look into this. With the radio off it is annoying.

Welcome To Maryland
Old 04-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 sDrive 23i
I get a tapping sound from mine. I got the fuel pump replaced for which they had to strip down the car, but the noise is still there.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: SDrive23i Z4
I also get a slight "Tappety" noise from mine when cold, but it's fine when it heats up. I just put it down to the hydraulic tappets taking a little time to fill up after sitting in the garage for a while. I've had this on other cars as well, so I'm not worried about it.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ4 View Post
I have noticed a high pitch sound coming from the trunk area also and one day I plan on taking my car to the dealership and have them look into this. With the radio off it is annoying.
I know what u mean mate...I wonder what that is, because it doesn't sound great
Old 05-03-2011, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
That really sounds like the low pressure fuel pump issues that several others have. Just search for LPFP. Some people have suggested that it is due to damage done to the fuel pump if you allow the fuel level to get too low. Lots of folks have tried getting the LPFP replaced, with various degrees of success.

It scares me that this problem is still persistent in your 2011 model. I just ordered mine, and it's due to arrive in 1 month. For $60,000 you expect them to get these sorts of issues resolved.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z-4
It's the fuel pump making that noise. I just took mine to the dealership and told them it had a bad fuel pump because the sound does not change with engine rpm. They told me it is a known problem and that they could do nothing about it. They had changed several fuel pumps in other 2011 Z4's and it is quiet for about a week or two and then starts making that terrible howling noise again . . . I called BMW at 1-800-831-1117 and filed a formal complaint about it . . . still no fix as of yet. I too am not a happy camper . . . as I can hear mine over the radio!

Dennis
2011 Z4 30i
=========
Old 06-23-2011, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z-4
Got a call from BMW of North America mid-week last week. Had an appointment the next day with a local BMW dealer. They confirmed the noise and changed the fuel pump . . . noise GONE! They even gave me a loaner car for the day . . . Now if it will stay that way . . . .

Take your Z4 to a dealer and get that pump changed . . . Good Luck.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas350XL View Post
Got a call from BMW of North America mid-week last week. Had an appointment the next day with a local BMW dealer. They confirmed the noise and changed the fuel pump . . . noise GONE! They even gave me a loaner car for the day . . . Now if it will stay that way . . . .

Take your Z4 to a dealer and get that pump changed . . . Good Luck.
It's great how u get a loaner for the day..here in the uk I get **** all when I got it replaced!