Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 07-02-2011, 04:06 PM
raphski

Mein Auto: 1999 328i touring wagon
Interested in purchasing a 1999 528i wagon

Hello,
First post on this board and also new to BMW's. I have been driving Saab's for the last 20 years and am ready for a change. Our older car just died, a 2000 95 wagon. I live in New Mexico with two kids and a dog.
I have found a 1999 528i Touring wagon with 72k original. It was a second home car for someone and always garaged. I will go see it tomorrow, sounds like it is in near perfect condition.
I would love some feedback from those of you familiar with these cars. It has the automatic transmission, aside from being less fun to drive do I have to worry about it going out sooner than the manual? How are they in the snow with good tires? Am I crazy to be looking at a 1999. Seems that if it was well maintained it's a lower milage car and could work out well for our family. I'm used to maintaining the Saab's (something almost always broken). Do you think it will have similar maintenance costs? What major repairs should I prepare my self for if I want to drive it to 150 or so?
Lastly the cost, asking price is 9,450.00 which appears to be a bit higher than the book in
great condition.
Thanks for any info and I hope the car works, I'm excited about it, having always been attracted to the 5's. I will have a pre purchase inspection done.
Ads by Google
Old 07-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Manualaholic

Mein Auto: 01 330Ci/94 530i
Hey there- welcome to the forums. For the car you're interested in, head over to the e39 forum...

But from what I can tell about your post- yes, 9450.00 is high. No one likes automatic, however if you like the convenience of an automatic, nothing beats that. Yes, it will most likely fail before a manual transmission does. With a manual you have to worry about the clutch and other bits, but with the automatic you have to worry about the system as a whole (which can be pricey when the time comes to replace it).
Snow? in New Mexico?? Well anyway, these are excellent cars in the snow (my e34 is the winter beast) with a good set of tires. I got through last winter which was one of the worst anyone can remember, on just Continental Extreme Contact A/S tires. If you want better grip- pick up a set of good snow tires.
You've got the PPI lined up, now get the price down and you should be in business!
Good luck

(Grocery Getter) 2002 525iT

Last edited by goosefoot33; 07-02-2011 at 05:20 PM.