Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 07-05-2011, 01:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Supercharged E34 540i6
Ugliness has taken over the front of my 540

This 3M paint protector is destroying the looks of my car. I've tried taking it off with a heat gun and all I get is disgusting glue residue which looks even worse. Please, can anyone help me before I spend money.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: 02 530, 02 540, 07 525
Once you get the protector off, use mineral spirits to remove the adhesive. It won't harm the paint and will remove the adhesive but not without a little effort. Nice looking car, BTW!

I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be eaten by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Manualaholic

Mein Auto: 01 330Ci/94 530i
+1 on paint thinner/mineral spirits. Once the hard plastic outer shell is off, it is just adhesive left on top of the clear coat which should buff off with a generous amount of petroleum distillate.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App

(Grocery Getter) 2002 525iT
Old 07-05-2011, 01:08 PM

How do I take it off though, after applying the paint thinner etc. Do I rub it with a cloth or something or just let it sit then wash it off with water.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:45 PM

You will need to use a soft cotton cloth so it won't scuff the paint. You will also have to continually use different sections of the cloth as it will get sticky with adhesive. Wet the cloth with thinner and begin rubbing. Don't try to take on a big area, work slowly, keeping the adhesive moist with thinner and it should loosen up. Once all the adhesive is gone, you'll want to wash the whole area with soapy water to remove any thinner residue. Repeat if all adhesive hasn't been removed. DO NOT use a scraper. It's not worth ruining the paint over. Ask me how I know.

I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be eaten by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:45 PM
545i pilot

Mein Auto: e60 545i e34 540 e32 740
^ sooooo. how do ya know? ^
Old 07-05-2011, 09:18 PM
SawheadE34

Mein Auto: 1995 540i
I've seen it removed slowly with a heat gun on a Mini. The residue was very light and it was nothing some light buffing couldn't help.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:49 AM

I used to have a Pontiac Bonneville that got road tar sprayed all over the front from the car in front of me. I used mineral spirits to soften the tar but got impatient and used what I thought be safe, a plastic putty knife. Once I was done and the car washed, I saw the scratches. Fortunately, I was able to wet sand and buff them out but I could have avoided the additional work by just using the cloth soaked with thinner to remove the tar.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:37 PM

I think I'm possibly doing this wrong. Can someone give me detailed step by step instructions? Does the adhesive have to be hot before I put the mineral spirits on? It's just looking worse and worse everytime I go out and attempt to take it off.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:50 PM

Try some Goof Off or Goo Gone then. Paint thinner should be taking it off. Is your rag wet with it?

Old 07-07-2011, 04:12 PM
545i pilot

Mein Auto: e60 545i e34 540 e32 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemporarySanity View Post
You will need to use a soft cotton cloth so it won't scuff the paint. You will also have to continually use different sections of the cloth as it will get sticky with adhesive. Wet the cloth with thinner and begin rubbing. Don't try to take on a big area, work slowly, keeping the adhesive moist with thinner and it should loosen up. Once all the adhesive is gone, you'll want to wash the whole area with soapy water to remove any thinner residue. Repeat if all adhesive hasn't been removed. DO NOT use a scraper. It's not worth ruining the paint over. Ask me how I know.
ouch. at least it came out in the end.
op- I often have to remove adhesives of various kinds from some fairly delicate surfaces at my work. that being said it looks to me like youve softened the adhesive just enough for it to start to collect lint & dirt from your rag or whatever. this is a good sign - the solvent is working. you might need to use alittle more to soften it more. sometimes heating the adhesive AND the solvent helps, although you need to be careful heating a solvent as they are usually flammable. sometimes with really tacky stuff ill soften it up real good and starting at the edge "roll" it off letting the tacky adhesive do the work for me, the bigger the hunk of adhesive gets the more it seems to gather. be patient, and be careful with that paint thinner, sooner later if you use enough itll start to take your paint off. hope this helps
M-

Last edited by gmnmsclM540i; 07-07-2011 at 04:30 PM. Reason: .
Old 07-07-2011, 09:06 PM

Sometimes you can rub it with your fingers starting at an edge and cause it to roll up. It may leave behind a tiny bit that can easily be cleaned off but the thickest stuff will be gone

Old 07-08-2011, 06:02 AM

Mein Auto: Pretty much had 'em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemporarySanity View Post
Try some Goof Off or Goo Gone then. Paint thinner should be taking it off. Is your rag wet with it?
Goo Gone is milder than Goof Off, Goof Off claims (and does) remove dried paint.
I'd be very careful with the latter.
keeping it moist with mineral spirits ought to do it. If you are impatient bring it to someone who isn't.
Just think how nice the leading edges of your car will be.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:04 AM

True, Goof Off is rather harsh and may soften the paint if used excessively. Stick with mild stuff. Patience! It takes time to remove it but it will be worth it in the end.