Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 07-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '91 535i 5-spd
Every domestic car owner takes for granted...

Working windshield wash nozzles.

After five years of ownership, the 535i finally has a working windshield washing sytem again. My nozzles were plugged, melted, cracked....and the driver side one even had the audacity to explode the last time I checked function of the pump. Reservoir and plumbing were sound, so time to get new spray heads.

What a fiasco. The car has the heated type, so I order heated ones. They come in, but have dual inlets even though the part number said it's for the non-intensive cleaning system [single inlets]. Order another part number, they come with single inlets but have the wrong type of electrical connector. F*** this.. I cut the connectors off the new ones, and solder on the connectors from my old broken ones. Snap everything back in....like all 100 clips that fasten the hood liner in place.

Voila! Like the Bellagio

Old 07-07-2011, 08:59 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radian View Post
Working windshield wash nozzles.

After five years of ownership, the 535i finally has a working windshield washing sytem again. My nozzles were plugged, melted, cracked....and the driver side one even had the audacity to explode the last time I checked function of the pump. Reservoir and plumbing were sound, so time to get new spray heads.

What a fiasco. The car has the heated type, so I order heated ones. They come in, but have dual inlets even though the part number said it's for the non-intensive cleaning system [single inlets]. Order another part number, they come with single inlets but have the wrong type of electrical connector. F*** this.. I cut the connectors off the new ones, and solder on the connectors from my old broken ones. Snap everything back in....like all 100 clips that fasten the hood liner in place.

Voila! Like the Bellagio

I have a 1999 E-39 and the washers work fine.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:05 PM

Give it a while longer.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Lucky to drive a BMW

Mein Auto: 2006 M5///
Yes the window spray heads are touchy. I found that each head has 2 pivoting nozzles made of lead or something soft.None of mine worked I found that the trick was 6 inches of 24gauge copper phone wire reamed the deposits out and allowed the nozzles to be adjusted .The adjusting can take longer than the cleaning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02169.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	284244  
Old 07-08-2011, 05:20 AM

In case anyone was wondering about the title of the thread, I'm speaking from experience here.

Of the vehicles I've owned, all over 100,000 miles:

Non-working Nozzles:
- Two Toyota hilux 4x4's
- Toyota Celica
- Honda Accord*
- BMW 325is
- BMW 535i*

* Got them to work eventually, but performance is barely adequate, by my standards.

Nozzles that worked great:
- Chevy Cavalier
- Chevy Celebrity
- Ford Bronco
- Ford F-150
- Pontiac Grand AM

I'm not implying the later cars are better, or what have you....I'm just saying, that out of all the cars I've owned, the domestics have always had good, functioning windshield cleaning nozzles for whatever reasons.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:50 PM

Correct inlet type, wrong electrical connector....but that proved only to be a minor inconvenience. If your car was made in September of 1990, you could run into this same issue.

Note: When removing your old nozzles, although the stainless clips that cinch the factory nylon-braided hosing look like the one-time use crimp clamps found on some fuel lines and radiator hoses, they are not. They are perfectly re-useable. The trick is to lever them off with a machinist's scribe [or other similar object] without bending the hook part beyond repair and to snap them back on using a pair of diagonal cutters.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nozzles.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	284316  
Old 07-09-2011, 09:27 AM

The part # of the spray head shown above in the previous message is 61661379203.

Below is the type I ordered first. They were part # 61668350355 Also shown are the old ones after I clipped off the connectors. Hopefully this will save someone a few days of driving around with a couple of empty holes in their hood waiting for the correct parts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nozzles2.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	284354