Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 04-29-2011, 08:33 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Of course folks at the dealership are going to say all-seasons are fine. They need to sell you the car. They're not the ones driving your new X3.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: (soon to be '11 X3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Of course folks at the dealership are going to say all-seasons are fine. They need to sell you the car. They're not the ones driving your new X3.
uhh... right but like I said in my post, those "folks" are people I know...like friends...like people I see...and they are not in sales...so no they would not be just handing me a line. And again like I said in my post...they are not in sales..one is body shop manager and one is the service manager...again friends people I see. And the only guy has an X5 (with said all-seasons by the way) and I drove around with him all winter (in said all seasons) and by some miracle we are still here.
Don't meant to be (too) sarcastic, but read what I wrote....I got advice from friends...friends who see more bimmers than we do every day...friends who work at the dealership in non-sales roles, friends who work in roles who see customers after the sale...friends who drive said vehicles with said all-seasons...so I think my advice is good thank you.

Not sure why you are so hung up on snow tires, but if every BMW out there needed snow tires do you really think that would be a postive thing? If I was getting 100+ inches of snow a year I'd probably have snow tires on ANY car I drove, but like I said, we get less than 1/2 of that on average so my friends comments were in context to that, not living in Antartica.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No12 View Post
Regardless of what ppl at the dealership are saying about All-Seasons being OK in the winter; I would take that with a large grain of salt (and not for the ice, either). You might "get by" in deep snow and on ice with All-Seasons but you certainly would do a LOT BETTER on winter tires. To me, it is not worth it to try to "get by" when a good set of winters and 4 extra wheels, amortized over (say) 4 winters is pretty cheap insurance against getting into an incident and/or avoiding some out-of-control beater coming at your nice new X3.

Just my opinion, but backed by the FACT that winter tires will outperform All-Seasons in snow and ice. No question.
So we should probably switch topics b/c what's happening here is that we are all applying our opinions to where we live which is creating differences...you guys are in Michigan and Canada which get considerably more snow than me in NJ. And maybe your snow crews don't clear snow very well...I don't know. But I can tell you this...where I live, and even with this horrible winter we had, the MOST any snow is covering the streets is a day...that's it... even if we get 3 feet of snow on a monday, but wednesday or thursday at the latest, the streets are perfectcly clear. (except for that debacle in NYC this Christmas..rare incident) So this is why I said that for where I live, nobody I know runs snow tires...that's all. Does that approach apply to Michigan or BC...no idea, and honestly probably not...so probably a bad topic for opinions or advice b/c our own personal experiences are playing into account here. The advice I get is probalby good advice relative to my area and my experience.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the Thrill View Post
Mibmwx3 I am in the same boat as you! I remember that storm....this is what our driveway looked liked after a couple passes with the snowblower. Our driveway is two cars wide so it took 3 hours to clear it with the snowblower! Are you in Grand Rapids?

Yes, I'm just west of Grand Rapids. It was nice that my employer called a snow day so I had time to clean my driveway. What I don't understand is that nobody ever mentioned that I needed snow tires on my Explorer, and I certainly never had any problems. I thought the X3 had just great traction. I want to be safe, so I'll probably buy snow tires, just more expense and hassle.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole7374 View Post
So we should probably switch topics b/c what's happening here is that we are all applying our opinions to where we live which is creating differences...you guys are in Michigan and Canada which get considerably more snow than me in NJ. And maybe your snow crews don't clear snow very well...I don't know. But I can tell you this...where I live, and even with this horrible winter we had, the MOST any snow is covering the streets is a day...that's it... even if we get 3 feet of snow on a monday, but wednesday or thursday at the latest, the streets are perfectcly clear. (except for that debacle in NYC this Christmas..rare incident) So this is why I said that for where I live, nobody I know runs snow tires...that's all. Does that approach apply to Michigan or BC...no idea, and honestly probably not...so probably a bad topic for opinions or advice b/c our own personal experiences are playing into account here. The advice I get is probalby good advice relative to my area and my experience.

In Michigan, most roads are cleared out pretty good by the time that I go to work. We have lots of snow plows and they work through the night. I normally stay home when the roads are bad. What scares me most is the ice after the roads are clear, and I'm not scared about my driving just the other drivers that don't slow down. I had asked my dealer about snow tires and was told that most people here don't use them, but I'll have to find out for myself if that is a wise decision or not. Not looking forward to winter though.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibmwx3 View Post
Yes, I'm just west of Grand Rapids. It was nice that my employer called a snow day so I had time to clean my driveway. What I don't understand is that nobody ever mentioned that I needed snow tires on my Explorer, and I certainly never had any problems. I thought the X3 had just great traction. I want to be safe, so I'll probably buy snow tires, just more expense and hassle.
I've never used snow tires either but then again I try not to drive on the worst days. They don't do the roads very well here and there is always 2" of compact snow that gets iced over on the roads and they stay that way most of the winter. We live in a state that gets tons of snow, yet the plows don't even use a big plow in the front. They only use a little scraper located under the plow which leaves the roads a mess. Couple that with the fact they are too cheap to use salt and winter SUCKS.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
I've never used snow tires either but then again I try not to drive on the worst days. They don't do the roads very well here and there is always 2" of compact snow that gets iced over on the roads and they stay that way most of the winter. We live in a state that gets tons of snow, yet the plows don't even use a big plow in the front. They only use a little scraper located under the plow which leaves the roads a mess. Couple that with the fact they are too cheap to use salt and winter SUCKS.
Wow....man that sucks.... based on that I'd say snow tires on any vehicle would be needed!

Here in Jersey a lot of the counties/towns have started this new system that is "proactive". meaning...the night before the storm, a truck with this huge tank of fluid goes driving around every street possible in town (mainly the busy streets and hilly streets) and they lay down this solution that soaks into the asphalt. It's a solution of salt/brine etc that melts the snow on contact...so once the storm hits, snow doesn't build up right away on the streets and they have to use either less or no salt.... by the next day all the streets are perfectly clear.

Also it's generally a bit warmer here (compared to michigan) so we don't have tons of ice problems after storms...this year was exception b/c it was SUPER snowy and cold, but normally we're ok.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
In Grand Rapids, they use large front plows, and the roads are usually down to the pavement in the morning.

Last edited by mibmwx3; 04-30-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
In Grand Rapids, they use large front plows, and the roads are usually down to the pavement in the morning.
That is what I think is normal. K-zoo is not normal! I moved here from Pittsburgh where they did a great job keeping up with any snow. Here it is truly pathetic!
Old 07-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Burnt Orange and Blue

Mein Auto: 2008 E93 335i
Quote:
That is what I think is normal. K-zoo is not normal! I moved here from Pittsburgh where they did a great job keeping up with any snow. Here it is truly pathetic!
Thrill,

What did you eventually end up doing about your wheel/tire setup?

Thanks,
abmwc
Old 07-10-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abmwc View Post
Thrill,

What did you eventually end up doing about your wheel/tire setup?

Thanks,
abmwc
I just picked up my "for keeps" X3 and turned back in the loaner on Thursday. I'm pulling the run flats off of it and am putting on all seasons that are rated for doing better in snow. Guess I'll find out come winter weather the all seasons are going to cut it. I'm more worried about all the other nuts on the road that don't slow down in time at a stop or red light and end up rear-ending people. Happens constantly here in winter
Old 07-11-2011, 05:24 AM

Quote:
I just picked up my "for keeps" X3 and turned back in the loaner on Thursday. I'm pulling the run flats off of it and am putting on all seasons that are rated for doing better in snow. Guess I'll find out come winter weather the all seasons are going to cut it. I'm more worried about all the other nuts on the road that don't slow down in time at a stop or red light and end up rear-ending people. Happens constantly here in winter
What tires are you going with?
Old 07-11-2011, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 AH3
Yeah, I am curious what tires you will be switching to as well. I have a set of Pirelli P-Zero Nero A/S on order...they come in an XL rated 102H version which I think better suits the X3 than the majority of the all season options in the 245/45-19 size which are mostly load rated at 98 with no XL designation.

2014 X3 xDrive35i F25 l AW l BLACK l ALUM l M-SPORT l PREM l TECH l CW l DAP l DHP l AHB l PREM AUDIO

2011 X3 xDrive35i F25 l SG l OYSTER l ALUM l M-SPORT l PREM l NAV l PREM AUDIO (Retired)

2011 135i E82 l SG l CORAL l GLACIER l DCT l PREM l M-SPORT l NAV l HK (Retired)

2007 335i E90 l AW l BLK L-ETTE l ALUM TRIM l SPORT l 6MT (Retired)
Old 07-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Burnt Orange and Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_3 View Post
Yeah, I am curious what tires you will be switching to as well. I have a set of Pirelli P-Zero Nero A/S on order...they come in an XL rated 102H version which I think better suits the X3 than the majority of the all season options in the 245/45-19 size which are mostly load rated at 98 with no XL designation.
Hi TN,

Are you switching because of the poor rep for snow performance of the all-season tire that comes with the 19" wheels? Or do you just feel that your typical winter requires a winter tire rather than a "good" all-season?

Is there any way to confirm what the all-season tire is on the 18" wheels with the ZAP?

I love the look of the 19" wheels, but I am also trying to avoid swapping summer and winter wheel/tire setups.

Thanks,
abmwc
Old 07-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Burnt Orange and Blue

Hi Thrill,

Did you get the 18" wheels? If so, what were tires that came with them?

Thanks,
abmwc
Old 07-11-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Hi TN,

Are you switching because of the poor rep for snow performance of the all-season tire that comes with the 19" wheels? Or do you just feel that your typical winter requires a winter tire rather than a "good" all-season?

Is there any way to confirm what the all-season tire is on the 18" wheels with the ZAP?

I love the look of the 19" wheels, but I am also trying to avoid swapping summer and winter wheel/tire setups.

Thanks,
abmwc
I am switching because I have heard terrible things about the Goodyear LS-2s that come on the M-sport package 19s. My X3 is a lease, so I am pulling off the LS-2s and replacing them with a higher rated all-season. In TN, we don't have heavy snow, but we do have cold winters, so I wanted to stick with a tire that could perform in low temps, which is the reason I am not replacing with summer tires. As far as the stock RFTs, they will be put back on before lease turn-in to comply with the lease terms.

2014 X3 xDrive35i F25 l AW l BLACK l ALUM l M-SPORT l PREM l TECH l CW l DAP l DHP l AHB l PREM AUDIO

2011 X3 xDrive35i F25 l SG l OYSTER l ALUM l M-SPORT l PREM l NAV l PREM AUDIO (Retired)

2011 135i E82 l SG l CORAL l GLACIER l DCT l PREM l M-SPORT l NAV l HK (Retired)

Old 07-12-2011, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 (wifes car)
You are changing out the tires on a rental car??? Are you out of your mind? By the time you are done screwing around with the tires, you could have just bought the car.

Here is a really dumb idea, why don't you just take delivery of the car and see for yourself how good or bad the factory tires are?!?!?
'08 Super Duty Power Stroke (retired)
'07 MB ML CDI (retired)
'04 Toyota Solara convertible (retired)
'03 Range Rover HSE (fired)
Old 07-12-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
What tires are you going with?
Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Burnt Orange and Blue

Quote:
Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires.
Are you replacing 19s or 18s? If 18s, what was the tire that came with?

Thanks,
abmwc
Old 07-12-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyresmoker View Post
You are changing out the tires on a rental car??? Are you out of your mind? By the time you are done screwing around with the tires, you could have just bought the car.

Here is a really dumb idea, why don't you just take delivery of the car and see for yourself how good or bad the factory tires are?!?!?
Well, it isn't actually a bad idea at all...in fact, I've done the same on two previous BMW leases. They come with the terrible, for the most part, RFTs. Since it is a lease, the car has to be turned back into BMW with RFTs. These are expensive and they don't last the entire 36k of the lease (especially summer tires like I had on my 07 335i and on my current 135i), so you are stuck having to replace 4 RFTs at twice the cost of a non-RFT. So, I pull off the RFTs when I take delivery, replace with better performing non-RFTs...run them for 30k+ miles, then throw on the stock RFTs before lease turn in. That way, I have spent half as much money and driven the majority of the lease on a better tire.

Get it now?

Old 07-12-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Are you replacing 19s or 18s? If 18s, what was the tire that came with?

Thanks,
abmwc
I'm replacing 19's.....Goodyear LS2's all seasons.