Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Classic Bimmers

Classic Bimmers
Discussions pertaining to vintage and classic BMW models here...

Old 06-26-2011, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: Audi
Looking for info on 74 3.0 CS

I'm looking at possibly buying a '74 3.0 CS with 119,000 miles on it. Standard shift, A\C looks in good condition in and out. Never owned a BMW before, much less a vintage one. Is there anything special I should be looking at with this car? Any problem areas? If I don't get this one I will probably look for another in the early 70's. Appreciate any info on these cars. Thanks in advance,

BOB
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2011, 05:23 AM

Mein Auto: 72 bmw 3.0cs
You have found a rare and beautiful machine. These cars are fun to drive but costly to maintain. Keep an eye out for catastrophic rust at the tops of all 4 shock towers. You will need to get under the car and have a very close look. the floorboards were also built with no escape for moisture and are trouble areas - but fixable.

Good luck with your e9 and feel free to msg me if you need part resource advice.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Regular User

Mein Auto: Z4 Coupe 3.0si, 2004 R32
Hopefully you already found the e9coupe.com site

try this page for info on rust
http://www.e9coupe.com/buyers_guide/index.htm
use the forum there for all your coupe questions - this is the main site for coupes (at least in the us)
good luck

1972 3.0 CS Coupe
2004 Golf R32
2006 Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Old 07-16-2011, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: Audi
Thanks guys for the replies. Bottom line though is I'm passing on the car because I have no
faith in the seller, a vintage car dealer. Among other things he told me the A\C worked, but
probably needed a charge. To me that means it doesn't work. The radio and a couple of
other things had similar descriptions. Overall condition was "top condition, but you know, it
is a forty year old car." Considering the car is located 3,000 miles from me, I passed. Then
the salesman calls me yesterday and actually tells me he spent $500 to get the A\C working.
That probably would have cost me $1,000. That was the A\C he originally told me *was*
working. Maybe I'll buy a Honda. : )

Bob