Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 06-10-2011, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW M3 Vert
98 BMW M3 top will not work

Hey...I know this has been posted before. Ive tried numerous things. Ive reset the motors (disengaged, then reengaged) tried syncing the motors, etc. None of this worked. The red light is flashing on the button that lowers it. When I turn the car on, I can hear the motor on the window that releases the top from it work, but nothing else seems to. Its a fully automatic top, I tried lowering the top myself, but I couldnt get the back of the top to raise up, of course, i could have been doing something wrong. Any ideas?
Ads by Google
Old 06-11-2011, 10:57 AM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Couple of questions right off the bat. Was the top working when you bought the car? If so has anything been done since then?
What procedure did you use for trying to resync the top. I mean every detail. You miss one this top will not resync. Back of the top to raise up? What does that mean? Back of the convertible top, the tonneau cover or what? You can always stow the top under the tonneau cover with the red lever pulled.

So lets start this right, post as much detail as possible as to what has been done and don't leave anything out.
The good news is your light is flashing which means the system is trying to work.
OK ball is in your court...
Old 06-12-2011, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW M3 Vert
Hey. When I got the car, the top did not work. I havent taken in to the shop yet, i was trying to see if I could solve the problem before i spent $ on something i could do...As i was saying, the top is up, all motors are alligned. I saw a video (the car top was down) and he resynced the motors. I pushed the up button on the top and held it down, then i turned my key 2 clicks (right before it cranks) and continued holding the button. Nothing happened. i tried this several times for different lengths of time, and nothing happened. What is the correct procedure? As far as the back of the top not raising. That refers to me doing it manually. I pulled the lever, and both motors disengaged. I used the allen wrench to unscrew the top from the window (fully automatic top), but I cant make the back of the top (part w/ the rear window) raise up so i can pull open the tonneau cover. But anyway, what is the correct procedure for syncing the motors? Thats my main question. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2011, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 M3 Convertible
i just purchased a 1999 M3 vert this last weekend and have the same exact problem. I watched the same you tube video with same results. I do not know about an allen wrench?? Please let me know what you did to remedy this problem! Thanks
Old 07-20-2011, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW M3 Sport Convert
jmcgloin57

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyofmylife26 View Post
Hey. When I got the car, the top did not work. I havent taken in to the shop yet, i was trying to see if I could solve the problem before i spent $ on something i could do...As i was saying, the top is up, all motors are alligned. I saw a video (the car top was down) and he resynced the motors. I pushed the up button on the top and held it down, then i turned my key 2 clicks (right before it cranks) and continued holding the button. Nothing happened. i tried this several times for different lengths of time, and nothing happened. What is the correct procedure? As far as the back of the top not raising. That refers to me doing it manually. I pulled the lever, and both motors disengaged. I used the allen wrench to unscrew the top from the window (fully automatic top), but I cant make the back of the top (part w/ the rear window) raise up so i can pull open the tonneau cover. But anyway, what is the correct procedure for syncing the motors? Thats my main question. Thanks!
Hello,
I am not sure if this is the way to reply, but I have a similar problem. Top was working, the piece of plastic that is at the edge of the head liner, got caught in the right rear hinge, and since the top will open back to the point of the Tonneau ( Storage Lid) won't open, and I haven't been able to find the location of the emergency release. It seems like, the lid cables are very tight, as if they're jammed, or caught, it was working just fine, so I feel it is something minor!
Thank You,
John McGloin Jr
317-428-7324
jmcgloin57@hotmail.com
Old 07-20-2011, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW M3 Sport Convert
Hello,
I am not sure if this is the way to reply, but I have a similar problem. Top was working, the piece of plastic that is at the edge of the head liner, got caught in the right rear hinge, and since the top will open back to the point of the Tonneau ( Storage Lid) won't open, and I haven't been able to find the location of the emergency release. It seems like, the lid cables are very tight, as if they're jammed, or caught, it was working just fine, so I feel it is something minor!
Thank You,
John McGloin Jr
317-428-7324
jmcgloin57@hotmail.com