Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5
2010 X5 Radio Frequency Change from US to EU

I bought USA Spec 2010 X5 (E70) and am having problems with the radio. The radio frequencies are set to 0.2 KHz odd number jumps instead of 0.1 KHz like in Europe. There are lots of forums that discuss how to change this setting for older models, but does anyone know how to change it with the new iDrive?
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2011, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: E70 X5 35d Xdrive
E70 US specs in Europe!

Hi kklinner,

I got my US-specs X5 here in Europe and found a guy from Munich who changed it for about $40 for me. Plus he did some other minor changes that allowed me access to various "European settings". Unfortunately his webpage is in German...

And unfortunately I had the latest software already installed by BMW so there was no chance to lift the limit of appr. 130 mph....makes me mad when I drive on the German highways!

...forgot to add the website: http://www.car-coding.de/
If you need help, let me know. As I said, I already did the change and his work is flawless!

Last edited by DocComix; 01-06-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:41 PM

Mein Auto: BMW328i
Smile Radio Frequency Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocComix View Post
Hi kklinner,

I got my US-specs X5 here in Europe and found a guy from Munich who changed it for about $40 for me. Plus he did some other minor changes that allowed me access to various "European settings". Unfortunately his webpage is in German...

And unfortunately I had the latest software already installed by BMW so there was no chance to lift the limit of appr. 130 mph....makes me mad when I drive on the German highways!

If you need help, let me know. As I said, I already did the change and his work is flawless!
Did the setting change give you TMC data on your navigation system. I also have the US Spec 2011 X5 and live in Germany. What other benefits did the changes provide?

DR
Old 01-06-2011, 01:22 PM

He unlocked the frequency and therefore enabled .1 and .2s, which also made the TMC work. That's one of the best new features. Additionally he gave me the true digital speed on the small display (onboard computer) and disabled the US indicators being constantly on (Luxembourg Safety Check Requirement)!
He knows what he's doing and has "software packages" pre-defined. So he's not only changing literally one bit/byte but knows all internal connections, too. I was quite impressed since he knows the sequence of changes and how to apply them.
He's based in Munich but on his website you can sign on for his pre-defined appointments across Germany. His fuel costs are shared among the number of customers, normally 10-20 Euro each and he has a strict timeline.

So, depends where you're stationed in order to get changes done sooner or later.
Again, if you need translations, just let me know. I think his English is good though, if i remember correctly.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocComix View Post
Hi kklinner,

Awesome! Thanks.. Do you know if the frequency change to the radio affects the regional settings for the DVD Rear Seat entertainment system?
Old 01-07-2011, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kklinner View Post
Awesome! Thanks.. Do you know if the frequency change to the radio affects the regional settings for the DVD Rear Seat entertainment system?
I'm sorry, I don't have the DVD Rear Seat Entertainment. But as a wild guess, I'd say no. The TMC and Radio are enabled by allowing the radio to have all frequencies. While the DVD player's region code is defined by the hardware itself.
But even if, I am sure that the guy can change/fix anything. If there is something he can't do on the spot, as he told me, he's instantly eager to find out how it works and contacts you afterwards.
No, I have no shares in his business nor am I related. I am just impressed by his skills where BMW wanted to charge me thousands of dollars/euro without any warranty that it'll work afterwards, he simply made it work.
Oh, and in case BMW applies an update to the software within one year after his modifications, he will re-apply the settings for free....with one year. That's customer service! Just make sure that you have an appointment with BMW prior to your visit, that is something he recommends.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:02 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2010 X5 35d
2010 X5 Radio Frequency Change from US to EU

Great mews reference the TMC change, just curious, did making the change void the warranty in anyway?
Old 01-31-2011, 02:26 AM

Mein Auto: 323ic
Hey Guys!

I can see that a few of you have a US spec X5 and you are leaving Germany. I will be relocating to Munich in the spring/summer timeframe. I am thinking of buying a X5 35d. I actually found one over the weekend. I am wondering how was the all process of importing and registering a US spec X5? Did you had any issues? Anything you can share would be useful. Btw, what model did you import? Did anyone imported a 35d? Thank you.
PS: I'm also planing on importing my old 323ic (E36)!
Old 02-04-2011, 07:55 AM

"Damn it, Jim!"
Got my X5 from the service back today and although they told me that the US model would get a software update, I was secretly hoping it won't blast my "special configurations". Well, i was wrong, it did.
Now I got the indicators back on, no TMC and not all radio frequencies. Last one is not that bad, but I do miss the other two features.
Luckily the guy applies all changes within one year again for free...now I got to wait for an appointment! Too bad...
Does anyone know why all 35ds got an update? First time for me where the BMW instructions specifically stated: "US xDrive 35d"....
Old 02-04-2011, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: BMW328i
2011 35d Software Update??

I just had my X5 at the service shop this Week checking to See if their were any Updates for the Software. Well they informed me on 2 Feb 2011 that there were nö software Updates for a US spec 2011. So I would Be interested to Know what they changed. I am also waiting to hear from the Munich Man I would Love to get my TMC working in Germany.

DR
Old 02-04-2011, 09:58 AM

We got the 2009 X5 and as said, I read on the BMW service paper that it's for US models only. I found it strange but then again, I am not really surprised.
When I had it at the garage for a tire change in Oct '10, I told them that I don't want a software update and they didn't mention anything.
Now, even before they started working on it, they mentioned the update of the "Steuergeraet". They even asked me if I have chip tuning, because if, it would be lost.
So I guess that they changed something with the engine settings.

I am going to contact the guy via email tonight, and in case I don't hear from him until next week, I call him. In that case, I'll send you the cell phone number via private message.

P.S. For the stats: oil change, brake fluid change, new rear windshield wiper plus works : 451 Euro = 615 USD. Considering the size of the engine (35d), I think it's ok. And no, the 2 year - free service does not apply here in Europe...at least not to me.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw x5 E70
Hello,
I live in paris, france and i own a bmw x5 2009 (E70) with US specs.
I have the same issue regarding european radio frequencies and TMC.

Did you manage to solve it?

Do I need a software update?

Thanks

Eric
Old 07-21-2011, 03:46 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
i have a 2010 335d in Greece and i have the same problem with the radio frequency. Also i need to update the Navigation system with the latest European maps. Any idea how i can get this done?

Thanks