Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 06-14-2011, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Question Operating Memo and Telephone Option (possible cause for my "crackling" noise)

We just purchased a 2006 X5 which did not come with the operating manuals for Memo or Telephone. It was not a problem until this morning this “crackling” sound came on - scared the s*** out of me. I first thought there was something wrong with the radio, so I shut it off, the crackling (or you could also call it distorted, backfeed noise) continued. So I stopped the vehicle. The noise stopped too. When I started the engine, the noise did not get loud right away until my windshield vipers were on (it poured). I hit T/P, Volume/sound buttons, Memo but nothing helped. I can just assume the problem has to do with the phone or Memo option that was setup by the previous owner. Can anyone help? I see the buttons but don't know how to operate them Is there a link or forum I can read. Also, how do I find out if the Telephone feature (directory) is availalbe on this vehicle and how to operate it.
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2011, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Considering I have not gotten any replies, I will assume that my situation with the "crackling" sound is unique. Another assumption I can make is that the sound was generated by the Phone option I have on the steering wheel. The sound did not come back so... now I need to know how to work that Phone option. My car did not come with any of the Phone manuals; can anybody help?

Last edited by Edmonton; 06-27-2011 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-11-2011, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonton View Post
Considering I have not gotten any replies, I will assume that my situation with the "crackling" sound is unique. Another assumption I can make is that the sound was generated by the Phone option I have on the steering wheel. The sound did not come back so... now I need to know how to work that Phone option. My car did not come with any of the Phone manuals; can anybody help?
Normally mine does not turn on if it is not paired with my bluetooth phone.

That is the closest manual i could find.
http://www.carnationsoftware.com/car...lBluetooth.pdf

Last edited by satzinger; 07-11-2011 at 11:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-22-2011, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: X5 2004 3.0d
I've got a 2004 and on 2 or 3 ocasions I have experienced this echo kind of crackling noise which continues even with the radio off and is not affected by the volume control. I don't know what caused it but I also assume it has something to do with the blutooth phone connection. Must try removing my mobile battery the next time to see if that stops it.

I do know that having too many text messges on your phone can adversely affect the connection between phone and car so delete any unecessary texts.