Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 07-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Mackadocious Mack

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW X5
Ac not working after autoshop refilled it

Hello everybody, I need a little help. I took my 2003 x5 to a local mechanic to get a shot of freon. What had been happening up until then was on very hot days, the ac would only blow cold if I was driving or reving the engine. I thought it was due to a low charge so off to the local mechanic I go. I'm standing there watching the guy put the freon in and after about twenty minutes he says theres a problem. He said the unit is now full but it's not circulating anything and that the 'drier' has gone bad. He says that he would have to evacuate the entire system and maybe replace the drier. After I drove off totally pissed the ac is now just blowing hot air. Before he TOUCHED it, at least I had a little coolness and now I have none. Is there anything I can check to confirm this?
Advertisement
Old 07-23-2011, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: '95 525i '05 X5
I had this problem on my 2005 X5. It was the aux fan that stop working and allowed the car to get too hot. The a/c worked fine if the car was moving but got hot at idle.

On why it is not working now, you might have a mechinic that does not know anything about a/c. It is possible to put too much refrigerant into the system. Either he put too much in or somehow created a leak.

I know there is a UNDER PRESSURE switch that will prevent compressor to operate. I don't know if there is a similar OVER pressure switch.

By the way, I believe the aux fan should come on once you turn on the a/c. Does your fan turn on?
Old 07-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Mackadocious Mack

I'm going to check the fan in about 10 minutes. Someone also told me that if the system has too much pressure, it would blow hot air as well. I don't think this guy knew what he was doing because I didn't see him use ANY guages whatsoever. He just said the system was 'full' I'm going to take it to another mechanic in the morning. Also, would you know if the fan is a easy or hard fix?
Old 07-23-2011, 05:42 PM
Mackadocious Mack

Oh, and just so you know, when I switch the ac on, I hear the compressor come on.