Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 07-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08' 528i, 89 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nube1kenobi View Post
The "leave for 30 and QA" is a just self-inspection term coined for a tech to re-inspect his work area. In the aerospace industry you always have a second or even a third set of eyes doing the inspection prior to release for flight, but in the auto industry or other job detail you do not have that. it is only to prevent the so-called "tunnel vision", where one cannot detect the mistake one made after a prolonged exposure to it. To leave or rest and return is the best way to counter this tendency. The away duration can change depending on the length or complexity.
So the last time I was working on my wifes brakes, I was wrapping up, about to tighten up the wheel bolts, when I happened to see the caliper bolts laying on the ground close by. Talk about an almost tragedy! Moral of the story: If you plan to do your own brake maintenance, do not rush, and always take a break and inspect your work before it's too late!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: 535Xi before a 330Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JASONAARONDC View Post
Your dealer is a liar. I havent replaced rotors in my last 2 brake changes. I measured the rotors and checked the surface and there was no need to replace them. I havent had any trouble out of them at all.
What is the thickness for the rotors??

I have to check mine on a 2008 535Xi with sport wheels and suspension.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpo Joe View Post
I just did the rear brakes on my 545 in about 1 hour. Broke the sensor when I was removing it and I ordered a new one online. Now I have to do all 4 on my wife's car next. It's real easy of you have the right tools.

Back on mute.
What are "the right tools"??

I've done brakes on all my cars over the years, but not the 535Xi.

What tools do you need? (my Audi had this strange sized allen that I had to buy, it was a size between what comes in a set) Not a big deal, but it is a big deal when you are covered in brake dust and you don't have the tool.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jashley73 View Post
So the last time I was working on my wifes brakes, I was wrapping up, about to tighten up the wheel bolts, when I happened to see the caliper bolts laying on the ground close by. Talk about an almost tragedy! Moral of the story: If you plan to do your own brake maintenance, do not rush, and always take a break and inspect your work before it's too late!
Extra parts!! That always makes the job fun....many years ago I did that rebuilding a motorcycle engine once...oops.