Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-26-2011, 12:13 AM
beatmb beatmb is offline
Registered User
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 36
Mein Auto: not yet
Maintenance cost: share your costs!

Greetings.

I understand that the maintenance cost for 3 series varies a lot depending on which shops or dealers you use, it would be helpful if you guys can share some of your information regarding the maintenance cost.

As long as it costs roughly $100-$200 per month, I might afford it but since there's some opinions that one would spend HUGE amount of money and effort to maintain 3 series, I cannot ignore the problem.

You may be more appreciated if your bimmer's 3 series coupe : )

Thank you! And hope you can share the info!
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 07-26-2011, 01:38 AM
FCBayernFTW's Avatar
FCBayernFTW FCBayernFTW is offline
Original *****
Location: Colorado
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,270
Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
Deleted
__________________
Fc Bayern Deutschermeister ja so heißt er mein Verein,
Ja so war es und so ist es und so wird es immer sein
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-26-2011, 02:22 AM
beatmb beatmb is offline
Registered User
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 36
Mein Auto: not yet
Is it the question that shouldn't be asked?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-26-2011, 03:36 AM
Radiogeek Radiogeek is offline
Registered User
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 80
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 335i
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatmb View Post
Greetings.

I understand that the maintenance cost for 3 series varies a lot depending on which shops or dealers you use, it would be helpful if you guys can share some of your information regarding the maintenance cost.

As long as it costs roughly $100-$200 per month, I might afford it but since there's some opinions that one would spend HUGE amount of money and effort to maintain 3 series, I cannot ignore the problem.

You may be more appreciated if your bimmer's 3 series coupe : )

Thank you! And hope you can share the info!
Since December, when I replaced a sensor in my '08 335i, I have spent exactly $0 on maintaining my car, other than a new RFT tire ($451-installed). The sensor was $700, though...

Also, I have an oil change scheduled on Friday ($79.99)

OK... so I've spent a bit more than $0.
__________________
2008 BMW 335i - Sport, Winter, Lux pack
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-26-2011, 05:17 AM
Hot Toddy Hot Toddy is offline
Registered User
Location: South Georgia
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 84
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
2011 model with 8,500 miles (8 months old). I have done two interim oil changes on my nickel which cost $201 total. Also had an alignment after too many miles had gone by for it to be free at a cost of $145. No complaints here about maintenance costs.

Hot Toddy
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-26-2011, 05:35 AM
brewder brewder is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Allentown PA Area
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 686
Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatmb View Post
Is it the question that shouldn't be asked?
The implication probably is "if you need to ask, you can't aford it"....

I have a 328xi I picked up out of warranty, and i'm spending roughly $200-$300 per month averaged over the last year... of course, that includes wear/tear items (tires/brakes/rotors/oil/filters), and preventative maintenance (brake fluid/PS fluit/trans/etc,).. I'm very anal about maintaining my vehicles....

Just depends on what you call maintenance... only BROKEN things, or preventative.... But again, if you need to ask about these kinds of cars, you probably don't want to know.
__________________
//Brew...KCCO

('11 E92 328i xDrive - Deep Sea Blue | '07 E92 328xi - Space Gray)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-26-2011, 06:01 AM
Saintor's Avatar
Saintor Saintor is offline
Abuser of everything
Location: MTL
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,891
Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
I am trying to keep separate the costs I pay out of my pocket in opposition to the costs that would normally be covered in the 4years/50000miles.

So far for 8000km (I am at 88000km);
Annual Oil+filter replacement 70$

However my target is to not exceed 5400$ for years 4-7 for maintenance & repairs, everything.

In 2009, I spent 531$ to fix the under-covers that were all broken - my car is lowered. I should have just removed them.
__________________
2007 E90 AW 323i Step | Lowered 1.25"/1" | BMW Performance Exhaust | Debadged | Scangauge II | Style 162 18" & 161 17" wheels & rear 15mm spacers
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-26-2011, 06:04 AM
George Allan George Allan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ontario , Canada
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 220
Mein Auto: bmw 2007 x3
IMO if you put away $200.00 a month for upkeep you should have a nice surplus after a few years.. This can go toward a new car then.. Unless you have bad luck which some people seem to have with these cars..

I always put away about $100 a month for American or Japanese cars which gave me a surplus for them in the past - one is 11 years old now , a Chev express van.

Our 07 X3 has cost us zero up to now but the Diff is growling and the dealer is
considering to do a fix under warranty now.. This would be very costly on our dime.


George Allan
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-26-2011, 10:50 AM
ctuna ctuna is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: usa
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,385
Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Fyi

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ting+for+fools

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...e-our-m5s.html

Runflats are overpriced and they don't last very long and they give a less than
smooth ride on all but perfect roads.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Force's Avatar
Force Force is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Washington D.C.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 262
Mein Auto: 2011 E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ting+for+fools

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...e-our-m5s.html

Runflats are overpriced and they don't last very long and they give a less than
smooth ride on all but perfect roads.
what do you do for your spare?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-26-2011, 01:17 PM
ddtan ddtan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!
Location: Gig Harbor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 923
Mein Auto: 07 335i Sedan
You didn't specify whether you were talking about in warranty or out of warranty. Out of warranty, it has been suggested that $1000-$2000 per year is not out of the question. This has not been my experience. Wear and tear items such as tires have been mentioned, and it depends on how expensive you want to go. I don't think that oil changes about $100 are unreasonable. Brakes can be $400-500 per axle. Certain things like Xenon lights can cost a pretty penny to replace. Other wise you are at the mercy of fate for what happens with turbos or injectors if those go, probably north of $1000. Other things that might go are door lock actuators, window motors, radiator leaks, it all depends on your luck. Cat convertors are over $1000 at the dealers.
These things might be cheaper at an independent repair shop, and it is always good to have one of those if you are going to own a BMW out of warranty.
__________________
ED 4-18-07: AW335i E90
Redelivered 6-15-07
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Tom K. Tom K. is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,600
Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatmb View Post
Greetings.

I understand that the maintenance cost for 3 series varies a lot depending on which shops or dealers you use, it would be helpful if you guys can share some of your information regarding the maintenance cost.

As long as it costs roughly $100-$200 per month, I might afford it but since there's some opinions that one would spend HUGE amount of money and effort to maintain 3 series, I cannot ignore the problem.

You may be more appreciated if your bimmer's 3 series coupe : )

Thank you! And hope you can share the info!
For a new BMW, required maintenance cost is zero for the first 4 years/50k miles as it's covered by BMW, other than tires & alignments.

After my '99 328i was out of warranty, I averaged about $800 per year in normal maintenance, tires & repairs - but I only drove it 8,500 miles per year and changed the oil at least every 8,000 miles. Also most (but not all) of this maintenance was done by a dealer, rather than a cheaper indy.

But it sounds like you are considering a used E92. So will it be CPO or not? How many miles? What year? What optional equipment? How many miles will you drive per year? What kind of driver are you? etc., etc.

Point being that there is no easy answer to your question.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-26-2011, 04:14 PM
SD Z4MR's Avatar
SD Z4MR SD Z4MR is offline
(formerly SD 335is)
Location: San Diego, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,296
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Brand new 335is Coupe currently with 1900 miles.

Total cost of maintenance so far: $581.44 to replace the right rear tire which picked up a screw during our ED in Germany at 1321 miles.
__________________
- Tom
-------
Mine: 2006 Z4 Roadster (E85) | Interlagos Blue Metallic | Black Extended Nappa Leather | Carbon Leather Trim | Purchased 7/19/12
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!


Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-26-2011, 06:27 PM
beatmb beatmb is offline
Registered User
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 36
Mein Auto: not yet
To all of you : )

I really apologize that my question was definitely vague. However, all of your answers greatly helped me out : )
It seems that I will order bimmer 335i coupe on Sept. when the new gen is coming out : )

Thank you all!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-26-2011, 06:37 PM
jagu's Avatar
jagu jagu is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,604
Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatmb View Post
To all of you : )

I really apologize that my question was definitely vague. However, all of your answers greatly helped me out : )
It seems that I will order bimmer 335i coupe on Sept. when the new gen is coming out : )

Thank you all!
Yeah, that might be better. Maintenance will be free.
__________________

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-26-2011, 07:49 PM
swiss_seth swiss_seth is offline
Vouloir, Croire et Oser
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 303
Mein Auto: BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewder View Post
I'm very anal about maintaining my vehicles....

Just depends on what you call maintenance... only BROKEN things, or preventative.... But again, if you need to ask about these kinds of cars, you probably don't want to know.
Same here but its good for the car to be a type A when I was 18 I got my moms Buick Regal GSE and 50k miles and drove it to 150k. I kept such good care of it I got an excellent trade value on it even at that mileage

With anything that is quality made I say "good in, good out" So being proactive is right!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-26-2011, 07:52 PM
swiss_seth swiss_seth is offline
Vouloir, Croire et Oser
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 303
Mein Auto: BMW 335xi
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtan View Post
You didn't specify whether you were talking about in warranty or out of warranty. Out of warranty, it has been suggested that $1000-$2000 per year is not out of the question. This has not been my experience. Wear and tear items such as tires have been mentioned, and it depends on how expensive you want to go. I don't think that oil changes about $100 are unreasonable. Brakes can be $400-500 per axle. Certain things like Xenon lights can cost a pretty penny to replace. Other wise you are at the mercy of fate for what happens with turbos or injectors if those go, probably north of $1000. Other things that might go are door lock actuators, window motors, radiator leaks, it all depends on your luck. Cat convertors are over $1000 at the dealers.
These things might be cheaper at an independent repair shop, and it is always good to have one of those if you are going to own a BMW out of warranty.
When you said HID xenons what is it that is known to likely fail? The ballast or bulb?

Last edited by swiss_seth; 07-26-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Hootsama Hootsama is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: S. FL
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 108
Mein Auto: 2011 335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Toddy View Post
2011 model with 8,500 miles (8 months old). I have done two interim oil changes on my nickel which cost $201 total.

Just curious, but why?
__________________
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." ~ HST
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-26-2011, 11:22 PM
ddtan ddtan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!
Location: Gig Harbor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 923
Mein Auto: 07 335i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss_seth View Post
When you said HID xenons what is it that is known to likely fail? The ballast or bulb?
Didn't mean to imply that they are known to fail, only that they are expensive when they do. (compared to headlights I'm used to)
__________________
ED 4-18-07: AW335i E90
Redelivered 6-15-07
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-27-2011, 10:37 AM
SD Z4MR's Avatar
SD Z4MR SD Z4MR is offline
(formerly SD 335is)
Location: San Diego, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,296
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootsama View Post
Just curious, but why?
I'm guessing, but he probably did a break-in oil change around 1200 miles and a 5,000 mile oil change. I've already done my break-in oil change and plan to change the oil at 5,000 miles, per Mike Miller's Old School Maintenance Schedule.
__________________
- Tom
-------
Mine: 2006 Z4 Roadster (E85) | Interlagos Blue Metallic | Black Extended Nappa Leather | Carbon Leather Trim | Purchased 7/19/12
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!


Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-27-2011, 02:31 PM
Hot Toddy Hot Toddy is offline
Registered User
Location: South Georgia
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 84
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 335is View Post
I'm guessing, but he probably did a break-in oil change around 1200 miles and a 5,000 mile oil change. I've already done my break-in oil change and plan to change the oil at 5,000 miles, per Mike Miller's Old School Maintenance Schedule.

SD 335is: You are exactly right.

Hot Toddy
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Wilassasin's Avatar
Wilassasin Wilassasin is offline
Wilassasin
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,573
Mein Auto: 07' 750Li(sport)/C6 conv.
The runflats will probably the worst issue with these cars.
__________________
Mr. Officer

09' 335i xdrive coupe(sold),
750 sport(sold)
, 2013' S550 4matic (AMG Sport Pack), C6 convertible...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Ilovemycar Ilovemycar is offline
wooohooo
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,742
Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatmb View Post
Greetings.

I understand that the maintenance cost for 3 series varies a lot depending on which shops or dealers you use, it would be helpful if you guys can share some of your information regarding the maintenance cost.

As long as it costs roughly $100-$200 per month, I might afford it but since there's some opinions that one would spend HUGE amount of money and effort to maintain 3 series, I cannot ignore the problem.

You may be more appreciated if your bimmer's 3 series coupe : )

Thank you! And hope you can share the info!
So far, $0 after 2 years.

I foresee my first maintenance expenditure being the rear tires. Between a couple of tire models I am considering, there is a doubling of price between them. So I think with tires you can either spend quite a bit, or have it be a relatively modest expenditure.

Perhaps I just don't understand what is required for these cars, but past $200 per month sounds really excessive to me! I baby my car too, paint is always protected, I charge the battery probably once a month, etc.

However, I might not put on half the miles on the bimmer that some people here do.

Perhaps within a couple of years I can see a brake job- we will see if I shall try my first DIY brakes there. Also the spark plugs for when that days comes many years from now, after reading a thread here. For such projects, I intend to have help for sure, perhaps even hiring a friend (pro mechanic) to teach me. Bushings, I'll either hire said friend or the local BMW specialty independent shop.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-31-2012, 11:37 AM
jsoto jsoto is offline
Registered User
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
For a new BMW, required maintenance cost is zero for the first 4 years/50k miles as it's covered by BMW, other than tires & alignments.

After my '99 328i was out of warranty, I averaged about $800 per year in normal maintenance, tires & repairs - but I only drove it 8,500 miles per year and changed the oil at least every 8,000 miles. Also most (but not all) of this maintenance was done by a dealer, rather than a cheaper indy.

But it sounds like you are considering a used E92. So will it be CPO or not? How many miles? What year? What optional equipment? How many miles will you drive per year? What kind of driver are you? etc., etc.

Point being that there is no easy answer to your question.

Tom
Nothing is for free!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-31-2012, 12:43 PM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,223
Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsoto View Post
Nothing is for free!
Yup, even if you got 200k miles with nothing but tires, insurance, and gas you still probably paid more for those things then the guy in the honda/toyota, so no matter what happens you're paying premium costs
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms