Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 07-20-2011, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0
Question 2001 X5 Return to Stock Stereo

I have a 2001 X5 I just bought. It has an aftermarket stereo in it for whatever reason. I dont really like it because its ugly and seems difficult to figure out. I would like to return it to the factory/oem stereo. It looks as though it still has the OEM CD changer in the cosole, and it works. What do I need to buy to return this to OEM. I understand that there may be some options as to what it originally had, and or what I could put into it. I have heard that there are two parts, the MID, and the CD/Radio. Is there also a NAV option? I have seen some used parts for these on ebay, but I am unsure of what I am looking at. Any help would be great.
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0L
Pics?
OEM changer is in the driver's side rear.
Not an easy or cheap restoration unless you can find somebody who would want your current system and do a swap. I have considered pulling the OEM but it never seemed to be high in the priority list and there was always something else to be done.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:43 PM

Maybe I am wrong about the CD Changer being OEM, At any rate, I am not that concerned with having a Changer, since I just tend to use my IPod in the car anyways. I would be pretty happy just changing out the ugly Sony XPlod thingy for what BMW intended, with a single CD Player, and the MID. Looks like on ebay a MID runs about 350, and a CD is around $200. Just wondering if thats all I need and which ones to buy.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0L
The amp is in the trunk near the spare. There is also an antenna amplifier.

Go to realoem.com and you can see the whole parts/part numbers.

If they diced and sliced the factory install you could be in a world of hurt trying to put it back. Make sure you investigate fully the extent of the modifications made to install the Sony unit as it can get expensive in a hurry and you could end up in the "I wish I never started this" category half way through.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2004 X5 4.4L
You need to pull this aftermarket stereo and check how they have connected it to the original BMW harness?
Good audio shops have special interface cabling which plugs into OEM and if it done that way - going back will be easy.
But some will cut/splice wires which will make it more difficult to go back w/o understanding how to do it...
Old 07-25-2011, 09:44 AM

What was originally in the vehicle?

OK, so I need to find out if the original connectors are back there. I need to find out how to pull the Sony stereo. Any instructions for doing that? Second, I understand that there are different MIDs depending upon whether the car had a telephone, clock, DSP, BC, etc. How do I know what the vehicle had?
Old 07-26-2011, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: bmw x5
hens teeth

and if u can find a working bm 54 module (original amp) i,d put the lottery on, cos you,l have a better chance of winning that than getting that unit !
Old 08-17-2011, 07:56 PM

OK, been a while since I posted on this. Pulled the aftermarket and found the BMW connections intact, they used pigtail connectors, that was good. The electronics in the back by the spare looked like they hadnt been touched. Got specifics on the car from the BMW dealer, and got part numbers from realoem.com. Bought a rebuilt MID, and a CD-Radio unit off ebay. Finally received them today, and I was pretty excited. It took about 1/2 hour to get it all installed, it looks great, and the radio and CD player work fine. Butttt......... Found out the steering wheel controls did not work, telephone doesnt work, and the computer did not work. The aftermarket radio did work with the steering wheel controls, so I looked at that first. About 2 hours of surfing the web, and disassembling the stuff under the steering wheel, I found the ONE wire that had been cut and jacked into, repaired it (didnt even find or remove the actual unit that it drove), and voila, steering wheel controls work. I still need to find out why the computer does not work, not sure if I care about the telephone thing, but maybe if BMW had a bluetooth retrofit... Plus, what is the R/T button supposed to do?

Any help on what they might have done with the computer and telephone would be helpful.

Michael
Old 08-20-2011, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: 03 BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by busabusa1 View Post
and if u can find a working bm 54 module (original amp) i,d put the lottery on, cos you,l have a better chance of winning that than getting that unit !
Have you tried this company?

http://www.bmrparts.com/index.htm
Old 08-25-2011, 07:35 AM

I-bus K-bus, what is the difference? I have been looking at diagrams on spagetticoder.org. According to the diagrams for the MID, the MID should be talking to the instrument cluster over the K-bus, since I just have the basic cluster. It would use the I-bus, if I had the high cluster (with the text display). My mechanic said that he couldn't get the i-bus to connect to the MID (not sure what he was using to do this). Should he have been trying to get the connection over the K-bus?